1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

attachments for bobcat textrons

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rufur, Jul 16, 2000.

1. Rufur

Rufur Junior Member

first I will explain my situation-I live in central maryland and we get maybe20-40 inches per year (my estimate) I dont want to invest in a truck plow system as my truck is 4X2 and I have only 1 large contract (others are small residential walks etc) so Im thinking of getting a blade attachment for a bobcat wb does this seem like a good decision the p-lot is for 80 spots and a 50 foot 2 lane entrance

2. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I bobcat walk-behind? you should use your truck, if you don't want a new plow, get a used one, like a fisher or diamond. There was a discussion about using 4x2 trucks, and they do fine with the right tires and chains. You also need to add ballast to the back to make it work better. Look at the post about trucks, they talk about using 4x2 trucks. a bobcat wb would be very slow. you might want to look into leasing a bobcat skidsteer w/ a pusher, or blade for the winter. it would save you a lot of time. you could probably rent one from a utility contractor or a someone that doesn't use theirs in the winter.<p>Bryan<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://content.communities.msn.com/BryansEquipmentPicts&quot;&gt;Bryan's Equipment Pictures&lt;/a&gt;<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.snowplow.web.com&quot;&gt;The Snowplow Homepage&lt;/a&gt;

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't think a walkbehind plow would be able to make long enough runs to plow that lot. You would be there for like ever.<p>My advice<p>1. Get a 4X4 Truck and plow<br>2. Get a plow for your current truck if you can<br>3. Rent a skidsteer with a blade for the winter. The blade because it will scrape better than a pusher, and it will be your only plow. <p>Geoff

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Well first off Marylane probably gets about 20&quot; on a good year. And the last few years more like 10-15&quot;, but that being said, I dont think a walk behind mower with a plow will work for you. If you have a HD 3/4 or 1 ton then you might be better off finding a plow for that. My other suggestion would be to find someone with a plow on his truck and sub out the plowing under you. You can do the walks with the bobcat and have the other guy plow, and you will still make some good $$$. Email me for my details.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

5. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

what are your thoughts on the plowing with wb, while we are on the topic? i think doing large parking lots with them is out of the question, but for me it would just be driveways, i am guesing no more then 5. truck is out of the question. also which would be better, my 21 year old craftsman 16 hp tractor with a plow, or a wb? <p>----------<br>Scottie Schmidt<br>STS Lawn Care

6. snow

Scottie- where are you from? plowing with a tractor is ok, but you need weights, and chains. I 15 yr old crapsman would probably not be that good for plowing. I use a 24&quot; ariens, and it flies, and throws. Look into renting a snowblower for the season, it might be better than your tractor.<p>Bryan<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://content.communities.msn.com/BryansEquipmentPicts&quot;&gt;Bryan's Equipment Pictures&lt;/a&gt;<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.snowplow.web.com&quot;&gt;The Snowplow Homepage&lt;/a&gt;

7. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

hey.<br>i am from de, not a whole lot of snow around here. my grandfather has a set of weights that he has for his 12 hp jd, i am sure i could use those. or i could get the whole set from sears. the tractor is very powerful, esp for its age, i am thinkin it would be good for pushing snow. bryan, why do you say the tractor would not be good? snow blowers are expensive, for the few driveways i am doing right now i can do it by hand (it takes long but...) i already have the tractor and its just sitting there, i was thinking i could put it to use and it would save me time.<p>----------<br>Scottie Schmidt<br>STS Lawn Care

8. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I use a john deer riding lawn mower with a plow and or a blower to do walks, that are very long and probably equal a drive. I don't see any reason why ya can't use your mower for a few drives.<p>Geoff

9. snow

Scottie- the reason i saw a tractor might not be that good for driveways is because of what you're using. My friends use their tractors to plow, but they are using heavy duty blades mounted on big wheel horse tractors. If the blade you have is a craftsman one, don't expect to get far. Mike and Eric, and Geoff run jd tractors w/ plows. These tractors can handle the plowing better, because of the plows and because of the tractor. My snowblower can get into very small places and can take on a blizzard. I got snowblower for free, i only do a few driveways. It kicks. Just make sure you have a backup machine. I have a 21&quot; snapper single stage as a backup. Whatever floats your boat.<p>bryan<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://content.communities.msn.com/BryansEquipmentPicts&quot;&gt;Bryan's Equipment Pictures&lt;/a&gt;<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.snowplow.web.com&quot;&gt;The Snowplow Homepage&lt;/a&gt;<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: snow

10. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Bryan, I've got a 21&quot; Snapper as well, excellent little machine. Use it for sidewalks and it sure beats a shovel. Picked up a used White (MTD in different paint) it's junk by comparison. Snapper quite making theirs and I'd about kill to find another one.

11. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Personally, I'd much rather have a blower on a small tractor than any sort of blade. Probbaly ot much of an issue if you are where the banks never get very high, but if you live where the snow accumulates rather than melting away after each storm you'll be scrod if all you have is a small tractor. No way to stack or move banks back. With a blower there is no bank to worry about.