1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Attachment advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brad3403, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I just added a Bobcat S205 to my equipment list. It came with a dirt bucket. Can I get some input on whether to get a snow bucket, containment plow or blade (personally don't think a blade would be benificial as I've got trucks with blades).

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

It really depends on what you want to do with it. If you are going to plow then either a blade or pusher depending on your accounts. If you are going to move snow banks back then 6-8 snow bucket.

3. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

ahhh that's where you're wrong. my bobcat s300 series does twice as much as a my pick-ups do. they get to more areas, they aren't as wide and are easier to maneuver around the parking lot

4. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

How can you say that a skidsteer can plow twice as fast as a truck? I agree, they can get into tighter spaces and are more manouverable. But, a truck can move way faster in the straightaways and hence, make up the difference.

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

It would have to be a pretty big lot for a truck to be faster not to mention all the other pros of the skidloader like

Better visibility

Easily backdrag between cars and other tight spots

Down pressure for better scraping

Better stacking abilities

Cheaper to operate

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

It totally depends on what you are going to do with it. Why not get all three.

7. grsp

grsp Member
    from indiana

when a lot is planned out correctly, a skid steer can push in both directions. unlike the truck, which has to back up to make the next pass. hence twice as much pushing in the same amount of time. there is absolutely no question that a skid steer will out plow TWO trucks. now if you have a skid steer with 2 speeds, make that THREE trucks!!!! period, hands down!

8. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I really disagree. There are lots where a skid steer will out do a truck, but there is the opposite too. Its really a case by case scenario. Most all the lots I have trucks would kill a skid steer. Just to big. On the smaller, more cut up lots, no doubt the skid would win though.
    To the person that said if a lot is planned out right by pushing both directions, that isn't always the case. In fact its most likely not the case. Out of all the lots I plow, I can only think of a few where I could do that, but if I did, it would look like sh!t and the customer would not be impreseed having snow piles all over.

9. gary42095

gary42095 Member

i am on the side a bobcat will out work 2-3 trucks.. assuming pick up trucks with standard 8' blades. an s300 2 speed can easily handle a 10 ft and more likely a 12ft pusher or plow. they go 15mph. there are a handful of situations a truck is better... but for many bobcats will rule

10. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Like I said before, I think both have their place and time. Niether rules all. Another factor to consider is that travel time.
    So even if a skid could perform to the same level as a truck or better, you'd lose all that time back and then some in transit. I'm sure peoples routes vary greatly. My list of commercial I do is spread out over the NW and NE quadrants of the city I work in. I have some lots close but others are really spread out. If a skid was trying to run the route with us for example, we'd have most of them done by the time the skid got there. Even if you hauled it, you need to load, chain, unchain, unload. Precious time in the middle of the night.

11. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I agree. 2 speed is essential. I didn't believe it until this past season. My s250 w/8 ft box is an amazing time saver.

12. redman6565

how fast do you honestly plow in straight aways? i mean, i don't care if you have a thousadn foot stretch, i wouldn't be doing more than 15 mph anyways, you risk doing so much damage to your truck

13. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I know this has been on before but is a pretty good vid of skiddis plowing

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bpQkwATh3Y0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bpQkwATh3Y0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

14. redman6565

haha ya...way to go old school crete