1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Attaching plow in storm or dark?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jeep_thing, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Jeep_thing

Jeep_thing Member

Shopping for a 7'6 straight blade. Assuming dealer support is the same, which of the big 3 or 4 is the easiest and trouble free to connect/disconnect in miserable conditions?

I have watched videos of Boss, Fisher, and Snowdogg- the Snowdogg kinda gave me a headache with the removable trailer type jack. Or did they just make it look complicated?

Fisher Minute Mount appeared the cleanest, Boss not bad.

Opinions? (And yes I have searched, most threads stress dealer support, that's why I ask given support is equal)

Thanks in advance
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Western ultra mount.

The key is to be storm ready
  3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I'll second that. None of the others compare.
  4. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I guess ill input on the 2 ive owned..

Meyer Drive Pro- Single pull pin, assume you can drive it in straight and on target, it will engage pin as you drive forward and then hop out and push lights toward truck and attach single plug. Fastest you can do it is probably like 25-30 seconds.

Boss RT3- Pull it in straight, hop out and flip the 2 outside levers and connect both the plugs and lift up on switch until it clicks in. If you are really quick and don't fuss with the connectors like I have to you may be able to do it in under a minute.

They are all pretty quick, you shouldn't be waiting until it snows to hook up anyways unless its absolutely necessary.
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Western ultra, but as was said. Be prepared
  6. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

western ultra mount
  7. Jeep_thing

Jeep_thing Member

Thank you all for replies. I am just thinking ahead as I work a full time job and don't know if I will carry the plow to work as it is a 25-30 minute drive, it may be doing a few drives before and after.
  8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have Boss and fisher I find the fisher is the easiest hands down.
  10. Jeep_thing

Jeep_thing Member

Plowmeister- I watched the Fisher videos and yes it seems simple. Have you used the Western that so many are speaking highly of?
  11. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I absolutely hate the fisher hook up. That handle pisses me off lol

I carry mine and I work an hour from home.
  12. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 Senior Member

Im with plowmeister, fisher all the way
  13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The Western is easy, get it close and the handle will pull it the rest of the way in.
  14. CurbKilla

CurbKilla Junior Member

I have a western ultra and Im not impressed. Never fails that one side or the other is high or low. My old meyer is easier, maybe the newest version is better but mine isn't that easy. Looks to me that the snow dogg is the simplest and can be easily adjusted for hight, especially after its been sitting for 6 months. The manufacturer vids make them all look easy.
  15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

The man said it all

Off season remove 2 pins on the receivers and you cant even tell its a Plow truck
  16. Jeep_thing

Jeep_thing Member

Poll results

Poll results so far-

Western Ultra Mount
    Western Ultra Mount
    Western Ultra Mount
    Western Ultra Mount
    Western Ultra Mount
    Western Ultra Mount

Meyer Drive Pro

Boss RT3

17. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Thumbs up for western. Easy to hook up, I hook my plow up the night or before I know the storms going to hit.

Who leaves theirs plow on and who takes the plow off?
  18. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Mine is on once I start parking it in the shop and stop using for Summer season
    All mine is on beside my Son's truck which its a daily driver for him So he takes his plow off
  19. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

The plow should be at the same level you took it off from, even if one side is higher. Are you stepping/pushing down on the plow frame "feet" (the spring loaded rests) before you release the plow from the truck?
  20. CurbKilla

CurbKilla Junior Member

I park it on gravel and it settles, I've started laying some scrap plywood under it and that helps.