1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Attaching mount to truck

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Mark13, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 98 chevy k1500 and a western unimount that came off of a 95 2500. My problem is how it attaches to the truck. I think it goes one way and dad thinks another so before we waste to much time how does it go?
    Is this how these brackets attach to the frame? I know how the other part goes with the 3 bolts but unsure of this part.
    [​IMG]

Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The way you have it in the pic is correct Mark. If you need any more info on it, here's the complete install manual for your Uni: 88-98 Unimount instructions

BTW, what happened to getting a Boss?

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for the link.

I found a western set up closer and for a good price. Will have pictures of it hooked to the truck whenever we get the plow off the trailer and the mount and wiring on the truck. I have a boss rt3 mount sitting in our shop right now. So I have a complete western unimount set up and a boss mount.

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

So I have my mount on now, but those two brackets with the notch taken out of them bolt to nothing. The bracket holes are about 3" apart and the bolts on the truck frame are about 4" and on the passengers side there is no wholes in the frame. I'm going to go get pictures to show what I am talking about.

Pictures:
    Pass. Side
    [​IMG]
    Drivers Side
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Front Shot
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Something's not right there....

Here's a couple of mine:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You have to drill the holes, they're not already there..look in the install instructions I posted under "Thrust frame" section 2..on page 3.

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My mount did not come with those curved backets that go from the bottom of the mount to where the 3 holes in the bumper bracket are. I had L shaped brakets that mount under the frame and then where the 3 bolts are.

Hmm, drilling the holes could be a problem since the bottom hole isn't even on the frame yet. Apparently we put it on wrong.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Hmm, if the mount is in it's final spot in your pics..then yea the thrust plates are definitely too low on the frame rail. The mount may have come off an 8 lug truck which puts it at a lower level.. you may need to unbolt the thrust frame for the main mount and move it up a hole or two..

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Here is the L shaped brackets I was talking about that hook the mount to the 3 bumper bolts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The mount came off of a 95 8lug 2500 chevy.

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It came off a 8 lug 2500. I will have to look at it again and see if the back brackets can be moved up.

11. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

What B&B said, unbolt and raise thrust plate up tight to the notch in the frame. You may have to go back and loosen all of the other bolts to get it to line back up with the bolt holes in the mount.

12. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

You didn't take it apart to install it? Even if it seems like more work to disassemble the mount, it ends up being easier to install it as described in the instructions, usually at least.

There is a hole in the main mount just above the one the thrust frame is bolted to now, my guess would be that will fit perfect. Don't forget the other two bolts in the cross member (I seem to remember there being two more under there somewhere).

The mount with the curved outer brackets is the newer style mounting undercarriage. You don't need them, but they came with my kit when I bought it new back in 2000.

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

We got the mount on, busted one socket trying to get the thrust plate bolts loose. Ended up having to use heat, pb blaster, a hammer, and an impact to get the bolts out. The thrust brackets are on the frame now just have to drill holes (my frame is boxed in that area, how do you get washers and nuts on the backside of the bolt?). We have the wiring about half done. And on top of that, my truck needs new pads and rotors. This is going to be fun.

14. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

The pads and rotors shouldn't take more than half an hour, the wiring is tedious to run corrently and cleanly, and the bolts do tend to rust together, welcome to the wonderful world of plowing snow.

Just wait till you have to fix something when it's caked in snow/ice and it's 0° or colder outside, things get real fun, real quick.

On my Dodge, I welded a 3" long x 3/4" wide tab onto the head of the bolts, then stuck them through the frame from the end. The tab made it easier to get the bolts fished down the frame rail, and kept the head from spinning. Before anyone says anything, welding the tab onto the bolt will not reduce the bolt's strength any noticable amount. Trust me.

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I have my drivers side all taken apart going to start the passengers side in a bit. Will probably put the new pads and rotors on tomarrow. Going to have to drive my sisters jeep I guess. Did you put the mount on your chevy? iirc the frame is boxed quite a ways on both sides of where the holes will go through. May have to get creative on how to do it.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You have to go in through the front opening in the frame rail Mark.

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

ok, this is going to be fun. I'll let you know prolly wednesday night how it went. I have a list yet I need to do before winter and its starting to look expensive.

18. topdj

topdj Senior Member

in that case wont you have to remove the bumper?
    a trick for those nuts is to use nylocks and have some tack weld a piece of stiff wire to it.

then when your all done before someone comes in here and tells ya COVER it in FLUID FILM :D :D :D

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What I do is just like JohnnyU said.. I tack the nut and washer together and then tack them both to a long piece of round rod..then just fish it in the frame rail..easier said than done sometimes though..:realmad:

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, your gonna need to pull the bumper off too Mark..