1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Attaching a plow to a orginal truck?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Iceland, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Iceland

Iceland Junior Member

Hi everyone I am new on this site :)

Being a contractor in snow removal I have many clients to server each winter. I have used for many years CASE 580 tractors for snow removal.

Last winter I had the opportunity to try and use a 1999 GMC 3500 truck with an old snowplow.
    I was quite surprised of how well the truck worked and how fast it could push the snow and drive between places. Plus the nice feeling of sitting in your truck instead of a loud tractor :)

So my questions are :)

Can a snowplow be mounted to any truck?
    Do you need to strengthen the frame?
    If would like to buy a truck with a plow what websites are best to look at? I don't see that many trucks with plows on ebay.

What size of a truck should I be looking for 150-350, 1500- 3500 etc... what is the difference if you use it for snow removal.

Many more questions to come ;)

What is the price range for a new good truck plow?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  2. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Iceland ... Welcome to PlowSite
    .. I will give my answers but others may disagree.
    If just for plowing ... 3/4 ton will due 250 / 2500 series.... Ford / Dodge / Chevy ... pick your flavor
    Hopefully a snow plow package was factory installed. That usually gives you heavy duty alternator and different spring rates
    You can attach a plow to any of these trucks as long as the snow plow mfg. has the hardware available. A look on their website gives you tons of information.
    Stay away from 1500 series trucks for snow plowing.
    Good Luck ... Rick

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

The rite plow can be mounted to pretty much any truck. With a 1/2 ton you will be restricted to a 7.5' plow for the most part. With a 3/4 ton you could get a plow as big as 9'. How much plowing are you going to be doing?

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

;)
    2500/3500 are best and will allow you the greatest choice in plow type and manufacture.

5. Iceland

Iceland Junior Member

Thank you all

Attached for fun, is an image of the plow I used last winter. It's 260cm wide about 8,5 feet

My work is manly for general stores and school parking lots. I service 2 schools and many stores and some company lots as well.
    The snow is removed as soon as it falls. General rule is if it snows about 2-3 inches I go out.

Some of the parking lots are big and the snow has to be pushed across them and piled up.

I think I would go with a wide blade the Fisher V blade commercial looks good :)

Do I understand you guys right the blades comes with all hardware to mount to the truck?

So what type of truck is durable and good :)
    I will most likely be looking at 2004 to 2006 years and as you say 250/350

Should I go with GMC, Chevy or Ford?
    Is there any difference in fuel economy?

I am preferring automatics over straight. Is that a problem?

Regards, Geiri

IMG_3031L.jpg

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No incorrect. some may come with the mounting that may or may not work. Am I correct you are in Iceland? If so I can give you some contacts a little closer to your neck of the woods.

7. Iceland

Iceland Junior Member

Yes I am, basher Could you send me a pm with the info.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

9. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

I would look for a regular truck that has not been plowed with.

10. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

X2!
    I never buy any Used trucks that have had plows on them....BIGGEST Turn off! lol
    And i always make sure by looking at the frame for holes. because anyone could take a mount off and replace the fascia.

Dont buy them because you never know how hard they plowed...how hard they shifted, etc!

Always better off buying a un-plowed truck! Even if the price is right....Because maybe there is a reason why the price is so right!

This is why its hard to sell plow trucks! usually just trade them in!