1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Atlas Sr. Design Progress

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Atlas Sr Design, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Atlas Sr Design

Atlas Sr Design Junior Member

Hello, we are students at Eastridge High School in Rochester, N.Y. We are in a class where we design and produce an effective prototype of our groups choice. My group decided to do a snow removal device for driveways and walkways. This thread is designed to keep everyone updated on our progress.

we will post concepts as soon as possible

please leave any comments

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I am looking forward to se what you guys come up with.

3. Atlas Sr Design

here is the concept we came up with, it is just one of five, but it is a new and potentially good idea
    it is a Snow Rake, or what we came up with, Snake. it utilized the raking motion instead of pushing. What is unique is the second level rake teeth, this captures the snow that can flow between the first set and moves more snow than just one level of rake teeth. The teeth are also wide to move snow.

Attached Files:

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

That pulling/twisting motion is more harmful for a person's back than the actual lifting motion.

5. mercer_me

I'll be honest I don't think it would work that great.

6. Atlas Sr Design

like i said its just one of five other prototypes, we are producing them in inventor studio right now

7. mercer_me

I'm looking forward to seing you other designs.

8. Atlas Sr Design

Our other option is a shovel with interchancheable heads that include a plow like shovel that angles to the left, one to the right, a thin shovel for sidewalks, a wide shovel for driveways, and. an icepick attachment

9. mercer_me

That sounds like a great idea if you build it good and rugged.

10. magik235

magik235 Senior Member

... I agree

11. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

Id never buy one, but a shovel with a battery heated handle grip and integrated LED light would probably sell pretty good.

12. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

LED work light or LED flasher? ID say work light would be pretty cool, the other not so much

13. Atlas Sr Design

Our other and more practical idea includes a universal handle that attaches to multiple snow shovels
    This is our ice pick attachement

the wedge feature seperates ice, while the blade is still long enough to be able to push it away

additional ribs are included for support

Attached Files:

14. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I think this is far more practical than the rake...snow is too heavy to rake effectively, you have to be able to move it a good distance and get it out of the way.

When I was a kid my parents had a snowshovel that was really cool. It had a wide curved steel blade that would pivot when you rotated the handle so you had your choice of pushing snow straight or effectively using it as an angle plow to roll it off to one side. It absolutely sucked as a lifting shovel because it didn't have a T at the end so if you tried to pick up snow it would just rotate in your hands and dump the snow where you picked it up from...but if you had a paved driveway it would have been great for rolling windrows over.

15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

On your ice pick. Make sure you have a little "give" between the pick and handle . Nothing worst then chopping and and having the shocking going right to your hands and arms.

16. mercer_me

That looks like a pretty good design. It's alot better then that snow rake.

17. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Put a few springs in it.

18. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

When doing sidewalks say a corner house with 150 in front and 200 on side the idea of a shovel with angles off to each side would be good. If it had some mechanism to lift a little upon impact with a raised sidewalk block would save the rib cage some possible damage when your really moving. A spring in the handle would also be good for other reasons. Weight would not be to much of a concern if not lifting. Most shovels put the extremes break where th handle attaches to the shovel. Even heavily reenforced ones. Look at the "Bigfoot" 24" pusher Design for this. It is a less brittle plastic-haven't broken one of these yet. It does wear down quick though. Snowplow-snowpushers are recommended on this site also but haven't used one yet.

19. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I have a bigfoot snow dozer...easily the best and most durable snow shovel I've ever used.

[​IMG]

The fat handle is key, it seems to distribute weight alot better across its cross section...I've lifted some stupidly heavy scoops of slushy snow (stupid as in "I'll probably hurt my back doing this" heavy) and it hardly even flexes.

20. zabMasonry

zabMasonry Senior Member
    from vt

What modeling software are you using?