1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Atlas Senior Class Survey

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Atlas Sr Design, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Atlas Sr Design

Atlas Sr Design Junior Member

Hello, we are students at Eastridge High School in Rochester New York. We are part of a Senior engineering class in which a year long project is to design a solution to a problem and produce an effective prototype. My group has chosen a snow shovel that pushes, rather lifts, heavy wet snow.

current ideas consist of a different blade design, or possibly a heated blade.

Please leave any comments or ideas, your input will be greatly appreciated.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

How about using the motor and battery from a powered wheel chair and attach it to a frame that has a mini snowplow attached? Essentially a smaller version of this:

[​IMG]

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

A heated handle would be nice. I don't know how a heated blade would work though.

4. Atlas Sr Design

thank you for the replies, please tell anyone else about this thread

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

What is your intended market for this product?

What's your cost target?

Materials selection?

Weight?

How about VOC feedback, are the options that you wish to include really desired by your intended market? What features are they really willing to pay for? How much are they willing to pay for them?

http://cozywinters.com/shop/vertex-shovel.html

6. Atlas Sr Design

JohnnyU, we posted this on the forum to get feedback from people that shovel driveways, so no features are set in stone.

Our intended demographic is for people that shovel the usual wet and heavy snow that falls every year in Western NY. Plus any other places where that snow falls often. Our cost target has not been determined yet, that is towards the end of the year.

thank you for the link, we are aware of that shovel

7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Are there any specific design constraints? Cost? Weight? Powered or unpowered? Specific materials to be used?

You want to create a shovel that pushes heavy snow out of the way instead of lifting it, is that right?

8. Atlas Sr Design

Our shovel is unpowered, but we are looking for features customers would like to see on the shovel, thats why we posted this thread

9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Perhaps a lever action that is stepped on to do the lifting rather than using your back. (just an idea)

10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

This is a quik sketch I made. It's just an idea. Sorry it's so small.

Plow Thing.jpg

11. Mr.Markus

I would lose the wheels... use a normal shovel design add a v brace angled behind the shovel that rolls (like those ab sit up machines) attach to a pedal to step on that'll fold up in line with the handle when not in use. I think it's important to keep it simple and compact but functional.

12. Atlas Sr Design

Thank you all for the ideas, these are a great help

13. Mr.Markus

Post up the design you come up with......

14. Atlas Sr Design

We aren't in the design stage yet, we still need to get as many features as possible

15. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

How about, just making a really strong, light weight shovel that last. Lol! I use Suncast right now and luv the Z bend but the plastic with cheap tin blade is the pits. So, I would say make a quality metal one that has a real solid metal edge that will last. $27 for a shovel x 2 every other season is steep. No plastic crap on it any where.....That would be a great design.

C.

16. Atlas Sr Design

A high strength shovel that is also lightwieght is a very logical idea, i also play lacrosse and know that various types of Titaniuim handles are very strong and also lightweight. If we can make a moderately priced shovel that can last 5+ years would be a great investment

17. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

something lightweight but at the same time strong enough to not crack and break with wet snow. i hate shovels that break so easily

18. Atlas Sr Design

Definitely, a strong metal handle with a strong metal blade that is durable is what we are going for now, please list any features that you would like to see in this product

19. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

These guys got it all right. Design a shovel, patent it,sell it to everyone and retire. Wealth is not in the service field but in design and manufacturing
    Good luck to you on your project

20. Atlas Sr Design

thank you, we'll be sure to keep everyone updated on our project