1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ative Adult Community.........

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by forestfireguy, Oct 7, 2006.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We are in the process of bidding on a 50 townhouse and 450 unit condo 55+ community, my questions are:
    1) Anyone do one of these type places, seems like residents could be major PITAs?
    2) If you have what are your common issues?
    3) One of the buildings offers "Car Cleaning service" in a storm, it is part of the bid for the lot, we are going to bid it as a per car/ per cleaning charge, the spec says areas in between cars must be kept clean of snow at all times meaning lots of shoveling(500 ++) parking spaces, though not all subscribe to the service.

Any thoughts are welcome. We might normally walk away from this bid just because of the cleaning thing but on the flip side it seems like a possiblly lucrative option, also we are bidding their lawn maintenance next season and would like a foot in the door, if we land this we'll see what happens but our hope is to lock them into a year round full service contract. As this is my sale I'm seeing $$$$ signs already......

PS- I've been lurking here reading for quite awhile without posting but have been around lawnsite for some time now, I've seen lots of good info and hope to be able to contribute some myself.
    Thanks Guys,
  2. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Ive done some Senior condo like this, Everyone is the most important resident in there, they all know how to plow better than you (yet they have never plowed). They all think they should be done first and they all watch you plow cos they have nothing to do.
    If you have a good property management company it will help a lot. We did one that the homeowners were not even aloud to talk to us - worked GREAT!.
    Price this think high
  3. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

We do one place like that, and belive me, one is enough. Every time I go into those condos, I seem to pile the snow in the wrong place, casue it blocks blow joes view out his window. So then I move the pile, and then another old guy comes out and tells me he wont be able to see around the pile while trying to drive. Every time I come in there some new old guy comes out and tells me hes the guy in charge. I dont understand it, the place must have 10 presidents. Same thing here also, everyone in there thinks they can plow better then you can. I dont know if were gonna put up with it this year. Hell I dont even know if we'll get there contract this year, last year I slid my payloader off one of there streets in there and get it wedged up aginst a wall in a ditch, lol Im sure the grass dident look to pretty this spring. lol Thats my 2 cents on the old people communitys. ( although some day I'll be living there, and probably being the same guy, lol )

4. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

I handle several sites similar to the one you describe. My only real issue is ice from melting snow, or ice under and between the cars. It is tough. You just have to train your sidewalk crews to handle it. We are constantly monitoring and salting.
    Also make sure your proposal is very detailed, don't leave any questions open and remember to charge accordingly. They do get very picky but if you handle it well you can make very good money.
  5. AlaskaShooTer

AlaskaShooTer Member

At least 4x4Farmer you can start off your comments to the senior center plow company rep with "Back when I plowed" instead of just complaining or tossing in your 2 cents regarding your opinion of how they are doing the plow work. :jester:

Juneau, AK
  6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the info so far. Anyone have any thoughts on the car cleaning service? This is my major concern. We are thinking 6-8 dollars per vehicle per time it's cleaned. It is concieveable that we;d need to do them more than once during a large event to be able to keep up with the snow in between cars. Also how to efficiently salt under/between cars? We could do it by hand or possibly with a hand spreader but that seems tough to gauge. Further thought brings me to the option of using a loader mounted spreader and keeping it low to the ground so it will bounce under the vehicles without hitting them too much. Thoughts??????

Thanks again,
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would think the car cleaning service would be a major P.I.A.
    You are going to have someone claim you scratched their car, bent the antenna, dented metal, broke the wiper blade, major ice events--> 500+ cars etc.
    Just blame the plow service for any damage done, they have insurance!
    Keeping the snow away from between the cars is another major P.I.A.
    Half size shovels, coal shovels, brooms, hand spread de-icer, do clean up 3 times an event?
    They park where they please, block lanes, park where your working even if you made them a nice clear area to use.
    They don't like the piles, you don't clear fast enough, you woke them up, the sand / salt makes a mess, you will not move my trash bags to plow the drive, your marker poles look like hell !
    Condo's can drive ya crazy!
  8. Plowing Dutchman

Plowing Dutchman Junior Member

If your bidding in West Milford. Don't bother, the guy doing it now is giving it away. From previous conversations with the old contractor, the people were a pain and only some cars get shoveled, BUT all complain about damage, so BE AWARE