1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by slplow, Nov 4, 2002.

1. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

A local fisher dealer told me to buy atf over the fisher hydro fluid for my insta-act. He told me fisher say's it's the same as their fluid. I think he is full of it. I have used it in my under hood belt drive's and under hood electric sys but not my out side electric
    What do you guy's think? Have you ever used atf in your out side systems ?
  2. GoSlo

GoSlo Junior Member

I have used ATF in my plow for the last 4 years and have never had a problem. Have never had a freeze up with it.
  3. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

I was told to use "aircraft grade" hydraulic fluid, supposed to be good to 60 below. Plowing in -25 (or even worse) is NOT out of the question around here, so I was planning to either do that or find some synthetic ATF to make sure it stays fluid no matter what.
  4. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

We use ATF all the time..... but it rarely gets below zero here for any length of time.....
  5. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

If you have a western ATF is what your supposed to use. The sticker on the pump says ATF
  6. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

I have run atf in my fisher out front electric units since 1988 and never had a freeze up or any other problems. We also drain our units every year and replace old fluid.
  7. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver Senior Member

I have used ATF on all my units and have never had a problem. Like someone said above just keep your fluid changed every year and I don't think it would be a good idea to mix the aircraft and the regular ATF together. May not hurt but I wouldn't want to replace a pump taking a chance.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

just curious what fluid youll be using in that new "fleet" of blizzard plows? im using regular ATF in mine. blizzard told me ATF would work fine just doesnt have the additives for real cold temps.
  9. NoStockBikes!!

My Western manual says to use :Wester High Performance to minus 25, ATF Dexron III to minus 10F, and Texaco 1537 Aircraft Hydraulic oil for below minus 25.

SO The aircraft stuff would not wreck your pump. If anything, having cold-gelled fluid would be bad for it, IMO.
  10. slplow

Just checked my manuals, fisher use only fisher hydraulic fluid. My boss says boss hydraulic or equivalaent and my 97 western says the same as fisher (western fluid)
    So from the sounds of it, It's just a sales gimmic to sell their high price oil over atf.
  11. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

It's all in the service. Like the guys who change the fluid every year like they are suppose to. They are helping to insure trouble free equipment.

Just for fun try this test. Buy a quart of that expensive FIsher, Buy some meyers Blue, Grab a quart of Western(/ You already bought it - FIsher oil), Grab a quart of ATF... ......... Warn the wife or significant other if this next step will cause a problem

Put a pint of each in the Freezer and let sit for a few hours. Pull them out and place next to a pint of each at room temp. Stir each and see which one is thicker at both temps.

Or save yourself the trouble. Low temp fluid will perform much better. ALso there are anti-corrosion additives in most of them.

We do service on all types of pump. The ATF is cheap but the low temp oil causes less overall problems and the unit's last longer. Just my .02

12. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

I have been running ATF in the same Western pump since 1980. Also, ATF in the same Meyer pump since 82'. No problems at all and service has been missed from time to time. Not happy to mention that but bottom line. ATF hasn't let me down.
  13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I had used nothing but ATF since I started plowing, and never had oil related problems. Last season I switched to synthetic hydraulic fluid for the Blizzard, it doesn't congeal like ATF in sud zero weather. We only get those temps occasionally here, but being a former Boy Scout, "Be prepared" always sticks in my mind.
  14. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

ive always run atf and never had any problems with it. just make sure the whole hydraulic system is clean, and you change the fluid anually. sometimes water can get in the system and wreak havoc.
  15. NoStockBikes!!

Well, I ended up going with the best of both worlds, should make everybody happy: Synthetic ATF (Dexron III). Amsoil ATF, good to minus 72 degrees F. :D I was gonna do the aircraft grade hydraulic, but I went to Napa and they didn't have that, but they had synthetic ATF. I have a 'preferred customer' membership thing, but didn't want to mess aroudn with placing an order that small, and I needed to get the plow out of my garage ASAP. SO, I forked over $7/qt jsut for the convenience of it. Thank god those pumps are nice and small, eh? They had Valvoline semi-synthetic cheaper, but I didn't see a temp rating on it.
  16. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

Sounds like you made a good choice! Any extra that you may pay is no biggie. It's better than being let down in the middle of a snow storm!:realmad: :D Good luck. Jake.
  17. slplow

Thanks for the input. I did go with the fisher fluid over atf this yr but will try atf next yr.