1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATF vs. M1 (interchangable?)

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by snowfiend4, Dec 22, 2009.

1. snowfiend4

snowfiend4 Junior Member

Hello,

I have a E-60 H and was wondering which fluid is better. I used ATF when I plowed Western and never had any problems. Many people have told me Meyer M1 freezes up and I believe I have had this problem once before. My other issue is that I have to drive 30 miles to get M1. Can I use ATF and if so can I mix the two so that I don't immediately have to drain and flush my entire unit? Thanks for the help.

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Do not use ATF in the Meyer and definitely do not mix ATF and hydraulic fluid, you can use low temp hydraulic fluid from any manufacturer.

The Meyer fluid is not the cause of the freezing problems you hear about the problem is water getting into the system and for whatever reason it is more prominent in Meyer plows.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  3. snowfiend4

snowfiend4 Junior Member

Thanks, good info. I have heard such mixed reviews but have only been running the M1 for the life of my plow.

4. 33yearsinsnow

33yearsinsnow Senior Member
    from ohio

If your plow unit is under warranty only use M1 as any other fluid will void your Meyer warranty, if not any snow plow hydraulic oil will work fine.

5. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

I will have to disagree that any hydraulic oil will work fine.

Changed my oil this season with blue "aircraft grade"
    hydraulic oil. Plow moved extremely slow, especially when
    lifting, and noticed a much higher than normal amp draw.
    Drained out the blue and replaced with M1. Smooth sailing.
    Learned my lesson. Doesn't pay trying to cut corners
    there - imo - and I see some of the Pro's saying the same so...

6. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Thats interesting. I think I mite try M1 and see I notice a diffrence too

7. w4hyi

w4hyi Member

I have used atf for many years and never had a problem one year i drained and replaced with myers fluid and had all kinds of problems so I will never use myers fluids again only atf

8. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

Where is M1 sold? any sites?

9. festerw

festerw Senior Member

10. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm a recent convert to "plow oil" from ATF in my E47. I did some research and it's true, at 0 degrees ATF has about 11-12 times the viscosity of plow oil. Below 20 degrees it works much better than ATF and warms up much quicker. At 40 degrees with plow oil the other day my e47 was CRANKING.