1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATF vs Hydraulc fluid

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by sbouck, Dec 4, 2008.

1. sbouck

sbouck Junior Member

Cant find any hydraulic fluid in my town that is Mil-H-5606A as my manual recommends. Talked to my dealer(out of town), who states ATF Dexron III is plenty fine and conforms with Westerns recommendations. It is all they use, so I suppose that is what is in my system from original setup by dealer. He states only one company states using Dexron III will not satisfy warrantee-I believe he said fisher. I see a lot of people recommending to not use ATF. Any technological experts or input would be interesting.
    Also, anyone know difference between Dextron III and Dexron IIIG? Problem is I'm looking for quick fix. I have Dexron IIIG on hand and anything else is one week or 75 miles away.
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If it's all you have and you got to go then use it and good luck, but as soon as I could I would change the fluid out to something that you have a supply of.
  3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

well there's Lot's of people selling oil that will meet speck ,but i can tell you atf may work ,they used it for year's before they had any thing better ,and it absorbs moisture !!!!!!! spill it on the floor ad drop water on it !! ,turns white and milky .:confused:
  4. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Guilty as charged...I've run Trans fluid in a few plow systems, both Western and Meyers, older styles. Usually only because there was a leak in a seal somewhere, and was just cheaper topping off w/ trans fluid then plow fluid. For the most part it worked fine, no noticeable difference. It was when a system didn't get flushed the year after or water found its way in, than it would foam a lot (milky white) like mentioned above. I think that you would be fine w/ it for a month w/ no problems, just flush it well asap and put the right stuff in. Also, when the temp would fall into the single digits, it would tend to move slower or a bit sluggish, causing more draw on the batteries...a cap full of rubbing alcohol would help, but not too much or you'll eat the seals.