1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATF instead of hydro fluid

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by On a Call, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I have been running ATF for some time in my different brands of plows. So far no real issues.

But should I stop ??

I do it because I pick up cheap and you find it any where.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

humm even bosss hyd fluid is cheaper than atf in my area.

we all have given guys crap about this, stating things ike it's not a automatic transmission what are putting atf in it.
    it has friction modifiers etc etc....

atf is a hydro fluid.

will it work yes.
    will it damage your plow probably not.
    some even come with atf in them.

hyd fluid can be found thin enough to work at much colder temps atf may thicken up.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Imo...totally worth switching over to plow fluid!

4. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Penny wise and dollar foolish.

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

atf(synthetic) cold pour point -54 °F.

hydro fluid ISO VISCOSITY 22 cold pour point . -42*F

i guess i was wrong, atf will stay thinner and synthetic lacks any wax to clog the filter/screen.

6. carplowguy

carplowguy Junior Member
    from none

I run ATF in my air compressors in my shop and I run it in all my power steering systems. I live in Alberta Canada and with the extreme cold temps we get I find these things sound much happier running ATF and it take longer to break down as well. ATF is pretty amazing, it can handle extreme heat and cold as well it absorbs moisture. Air pumps don't get gunk up inside if you run ATF because it keeps the condensation from building.

I have never ran it in hydraulics so I guess I'm a little off topic but figured this might be of interest to some.

7. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Atf i buy it buy the big jug, i have a Thirty year old Canadian made Arctic plow never fails.

8. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

plow dealers up hear use atf

9. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I use boss fluid in my boss plows because it says use boss plow fluid

10. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

You can all use whatever you like, it's your plow. But for a BOSS the oil is 5606 this is not a hydraulic fluid like you find in a tractor (hydro fluid ISO VISCOSITY 22). The plow oil does not get hot, 5606 is made for this. But go ahead and spend 5-7$ on a plow and use ATF. Why is it so hard to use the oil the manufacturer recommends?

HERE IS WHAT BOSS SAYS.

Paul,

Thank you for contacting BOSS Snowplow. BOSS Fluid, milspec 5606 is a zinc free specially formulated fluid that is commonly used in aircrafts. It is not an ATF. In a pinch, ATF fluid can be used, however it is recommended to change it out as soon as possible. Extreme temperatures may cause ATF to thicken. If you do not have access to BOSS Hi-Performance fluid, there are generic snowplow fluids available. Your local NAPA store should have this. Be sure to get a fluid with a pour point of -50 degrees (blue).

If you have additional questions, BOSS Service can be reached at 800-286-4155 option #2.

Thank you.

Amy Mendini
    906-776-3765
    Amy.mendini@bossplow.com

11. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

There's one more point that you guys don't think about.

What is ATF used in ?

Transmissions, right ?

What do transmissions have ?

Filters... right ?

So it goes to say that ATF allows / promotes suspension of particles in the ATF that get whooshed around and ultimately wind up in the filter mentioned previously. It conveys the dirt to the filter to be removed from the cycle / system.

So what about plow fluid ?

Does it allow suspension of the particles ? I'm not completely sure, but I don't think so, as whenever I dump my fluid out of my plow, all the gunk / metal stuff and bits of whatever are down at the bottom of the pump housing, and not being recirculated through the pump itself. Kind of a specific purposed oil, no ?

Similar to Non Detergent oil.. which does not promote contaminant suspension.....which is also recommended by western for my plow.

If I'm wrong, so be it. It's cheap insurance to use the recommended materials in my plow.

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Heavy chunks just lie in the bottom of your tranny to.

Are plow pumps expensive compared to a transmission?

I say this because on real equipment you do have filters on all of the hydros.

To filter what?

A lot of different types of equipment use aft in the hydros.
    Some even use 10w motor oil.

13. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I agree, and not in a pssing match here.

Big chunks got to the pan, somehow.... and blocked by the filter.

Plow pump in my western unimount ? ~ $200 or lesswith seals Yup lots cheaper

Real equipment is COOOOL...... although I had a dream I was stuck in traffic behind some forklift driver last night. Man that was weird.....:rolleyes:

Atf works... yup. 10,000 threads here saying so. Just not in my plow, as plow fluid in westerns isn't very expensive... and a little bit less than ATF Synthetic...

10w non detergent or detergent ? Not familiar with it.....due to my lack of experience of working on real machines....:D

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

ATF is zinc free too thanks to the EPA

What fluid do you think boss is going to recommend ?....
    Nothing outer than their fluid

Why because they make more money selling it to you.

Vis 22 is about cold pour point not heat.
    As you say plows don't get hot....

The aircraft mill spec that is cited is equality to a vis 32 which will be thicker than 22vis at -20*f

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I saw this stick sticking out of a pot and said,
    Hey give it a stir.
    What could happen.

Detergent or not doesn't matter as there is no soot to keep suspended.
    We even used conventional IE Dino oil.

Ps sorry to hear about the fork lift

16. maxwellp

Pour Point, °C(°F) -63(-81)
    Hydraulic Oil 5606

It is really simple ATF is not 5606. The plow are made for 5606 not ATF. If ATF was so good the plow manufacturers would say to use ATF.

Thank you for contacting BOSS Snowplow. BOSS Fluid, milspec 5606 is a zinc free specially formulated fluid that is commonly used in aircrafts. It is not an ATF. In a pinch, ATF fluid can be used, however it is recommended to change it out as soon as possible. Extreme temperatures may cause ATF to thicken. If you do not have access to BOSS Hi-Performance fluid, there are generic snowplow fluids available. Your local NAPA store should have this. Be sure to get a fluid with a pour point of -50 degrees (blue).

If you have additional questions, BOSS Service can be reached at 800-286-4155 option #2.

Thank you.

Amy Mendini
    906-776-3765
    Amy.mendini@bossplow.com

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

So boss even says that atf is fine.
    But hurry up and dump it and install the fluid you bought from us.

The pour point of automatic transmission fluids will vary from -9 degrees Celsius -- for the Ama-Tran Powershift Fluid 50 -- to -51 C for the Mercon V Synthetic Blend 0W-20.

Ps Valvoline syenthic atf+4 -48.

18. maxwellp

19. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Love these threads:popcorn:.

20. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Almost as good as which trk, which plow, and which tire. Oh don't forget the almighty,,,trip edge or full trip.....followed by......chain or direct

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.