1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATF Fluid

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Lemonster, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Lemonster

Lemonster Junior Member

Quick question . Is ATF fluid acceptable in the old E-60 Meyers hydraulic system?
    Thank you for your responses in advance.
    Lemonster:):)

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

In an emergency yes, but you should flush the system and use the proper low temp fluid as soon as possible to avoid problems.

3. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Meyers engineers spend millions of dollars to find out the best oil for their plow so that it will it will give you the best performance possible. If you think you know more than them, then go for it.
    Because it is expensive, I use the blue meyers after market oil from Tractor Supply. It hasn't failed me yet.

4. royallawn

royallawn Senior Member
    from kansas

i used atf years ago and always had problems. switched to plow fluid and never had any problems since. that said though, have a friend that only uses atf and says never any problems. i'll stick with the plow fluid.

5. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

I agree! Stick with Meyer fluid, or S.A.M. Blue. If you ever see one of these pumps apart at rebuild time, the gummy goo that builds up in them is an indicator that you should use the best fluid possible. Meyer fluid also has a freeze prevention additive. :salute:

6. H1WAYRIDER

H1WAYRIDER Junior Member

I have run ATF in my old e47 without problems, but when it gets really cold the blade really slows. When it gets below zero the blade wouldn't even drop! I would only use it in an emergency, like if you just have to raise the blade to get home.