1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ATF fluid

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by horsepowerlawns, Feb 10, 2007.

1. horsepowerlawns

horsepowerlawns Member

What type of ATF are you using? I need to add some oil, but don't know what type.

Is it Ford, Chevy, or other.

Thanks

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Don't use atf.

Get some hydraulic fluid, not hydraulic jack fluid ether.

You can find it at any good parts or plow store.

When it gets cold out the atf will clog the filter and your plow will run on the slow side.

Find a fluid that is a, multi vis 15HVI-FM and that is Zinc free.

3. horsepowerlawns

horsepowerlawns Member

I got the plow used and don't know whats in it now. Its a red ATF just not sure whats type is more common.

I will not be able to change the fluid till after the next snow & when I change it I will put in the low temp oil.

4. horsepowerlawns

horsepowerlawns Member

Has anyone mixed the ATF and the low temp plow oil? It would only be for a few days but it would be used in the time.

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Then use the cheapest atf you can find.

The expensive stuff has a lot of friction modifiers in it that you do not need.
    I think the mercron has a lot of modifiers too.

6. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

I use walmart brand ATF cheap and works fine for me at 0- -5 temps handy that it comes in gallon jugs also

7. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I agree for the short time you need, and just to top off get something cheap. But I use Schaeffer's Semi synthetic ATF, it has a pour point of -52*F, another is Mobil-1 ATF it's pour point is -60*F. Works very well for me, the coldest I plowed this season was -12*F with -30*F as the windchill. I didn't notice any difference in speed or pump noise. My pump even has a sticker on it from the factory that states "use ATF".

8. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

all i can say is everyone i ever plowed with and myself have always used atf and never had an issue... still using it

9. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

agreed, I have a 26 year old plow that has run on ATF its whole life.

I like being able to get the fluid anywhere, even in a gas station at 3 am.
    With the amount of money saved you can change the fluid 2-3 times for the same cost, but again its a matter of convience.

10. LD4850

LD4850 Member

My plow is over 26 yrs old & has always run just fine on the cheapest type F ATF I could find. It has never been changed either... just added to.

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Fluid temp range.
    From a 2nd source.
    Meyers, Boss, Fisher etc etc fluids all have a weight/viscosity/type on the container some where. They will fall into one of thees categories.

Recommend oils and there operating temps.

Univis j26... -60 to +155
    Mil-5606.... -60 to +80
    SAE 5W... -20 to +100
    ISO VG22.. -0 to +125
    Sae 10W.. -0 to +150
    Atf ............. -0 to +150