1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

AT Tire question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ramair2k, Dec 29, 2004.

1. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

Guys,

I have a 2002 F-150 FX4 SC and was wondering what would be a good AT tire for it. Right now i have crap goodyear RT/S things on it. They dont spit out snow for crap. I definetely want an AT tire, but something with aggressive and gapped tread so it can handle snow really well. I was looking at the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo, and the Dueler Unit Ts...what do you all think? :waving:

2. RAYJAY

RAYJAY Junior Member

try looking at the cooper st tires there one of the better ones and the cost is good too.

jeff

3. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

thanks for the reply. Those ST tires look a bit too much all terrain if you know what i mean. I dont want tires that are going to be noisy as hell on the hwy

4. Eng63Trk16

Eng63Trk16 Junior Member

My cousin loves the kelly MSR on his 96 F-350. they are a good tire in the snow. I like the BF Goodwrench tires that i got on my 04 F-250. They are the Rugged trail T/A. There All Terrain T/A from BF are also a good tire.

5. lee157

lee157 Junior Member

The best tire I have found is a Cooper Discoverer LT or Mastercraft Courser LT they are both the same tire and made by Cooper. Reasonable cost but not the highest mileage tire around, bite like hell in the snow. I run 255-85R-16 on my F-350's and 250's 4x4s they don't make much noise at all and this size is about 34" tall and only 9.5" wide,,, tall and narrow seem to best for snow and comfortable on the highway too as they don't follow tire ruts.

6. akajeremyk98

akajeremyk98 Junior Member
    from Indiana

the company i work for really like the bridgestone duellers ATs there really good for plowing and then all around just driving

7. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am really thinking hard about the bridgestone ATs. I forgot to mention that this tire would be a "all season/year round" tire, so its gotta be good in the summertime also. I just cant stand the GoodYear RT/S that are on there now. They clog up with snow very easily and absoutely SUCK in the rain.

8. ABM

ABM Junior Member

I second the vote for the Cooper Discoverer AT's great tires! Even better are the Discoverer MS tires, but they pick up too many rocks and dent your fenders from the inside out. I currently have the BF Goodrich Rugged trail TA's on my truck because a buddy was getting larger tires and gave them to me, they are ok but not as good in the snow as the Coopers. I had a set of the Bridgestone Duelers and thought that they were complete junk, as bad as the Wrangler RTS tires that came on the truck new, very bad traction for plowing.

9. NEXTDAYSIGNS

NEXTDAYSIGNS Member

I have been doing research my self for a new set. It is not easy so many different brands.I have narrowed it down to the Kelley MSR or AWR and I think in a 235/85/16. If you want more comment do a search or look through the plowing forum it has been talk about over and over.

10. charlieg

charlieg Junior Member

www.tirerack.com look up the car or truck and read on, a lot of help. i wound up with yokohama geolanders great in snow or on a dry/ wet road, good luck

11. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Hopefully a tire solution for you!

I have tried a lot. The best tires I have found for plowing/driving/all around use is the BFG all-terrain. I have them on my superdoodie, on 2 of my chevy trucks, and on my cummins powered Dodge. They have a pretty good life expectancy if rotated, but that is also dependent upon your truck front end wear. They have good traction in the snow. They also are decent as far as road noise. They are definately more quiet than the BFG mud terrains I have on one of my Dodge trucks right now, but not as quiet as a non-aggressive road tire. I have some Bridgestone Dueller's on a truck I bought last year and haven't changed the tires yet and don't find them very good. They do okay with about 3-4ooo pounds of salt in the truck, but so would bologna skins with that much weight. Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps. Phil

12. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

BFG All-Terrain. :nod:

13. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

How are the BFG AT's in the rain? I dont see any water channels on them...so im just curious. Also, are they loud on the HWY?? Thanks :drinkup:

14. sgthawkusmc

sgthawkusmc Member

I've been running BFG AT/TAs 33x12.5x16.5s on my last few rigs and I love them. They go through the rain without any problems. They plow great too. I won't buy anything else.

15. crashz

crashz Senior Member

The BFGs are good on a heavier truck in my opinion. I've got a set on the GMC and they ride great and have 2/3 tread left at 20K miles. Middle of the road performance as they like to pack up with wet snow and mud.

On my 1/2 ton I've used the Kelly AWRs and loved them. I have a set of Toyo's on now and like them, but the rubber compound is hard (for good life) and they spin in the rain. The Kelly's never spun and rode like rails in snow and ice.

My next set will be a set of Coopers, because of the reasonable prices and the rave reveiws.

16. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

This may sound like a stupid questions, but are we talking about the BF goodrich AT KOs??? or something else.... :confused:

17. sgthawkusmc

sgthawkusmc Member

That's what I'm talking about...

18. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

ok great thanks. The tread design on those tires are sick, looks like and sounds like they self clean pretty good in the snow. I dont do off-roading so mud is not an issue. I just want something that will spit the snow right out cause the damn tires I have now are "ok" at best in the snow. The tire tread tends to fill up with snow and the tire gets no traction.

19. crashz

crashz Senior Member

I have BFG ATs (about 8 years old), not sure what the KO stands for. They have a pretty aggressive trend, but not as blocky as the MTs. Maybe BFG changed the pattern slightly?

20. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member