1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

At the local Lowes the other day

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by woodchuck2, Jan 9, 2013.

1. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

I watched a Nice F-350 pull up next to me with a Stainless Fisher V-plow and a couple minutes later some SUV turd parked a couple spots down with some aftermarket manual lift crapola plow on the front. You had to pull a pin on each side and lift the whole thing up, hold it and repin it. The thing had back surgery written all over it.

real truck with real plow.jpg

wanna be plow.jpg
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

that could have been his suv and her truck
  3. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

thats a nice looking truck
  4. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

That homeowner unit is a Snowsport and I have a hard time believing that they're not worse than worthless, but people seem to like them. I imagine they weigh so little that you won't hurt your back lifting it, though. You'll notice that the SUV is level with the plow up.

Did the driver plow the road on the way in or something? Your photo shows it lifted and you describe the procedure as if you watched it happen at that time.
  5. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Is it just me or is that fisher not mounted right. Seems the center of the v will wear faster and in the v position the ends are not touching the ground. Also in scoop or angle the blade portion will wear super fast. Just looks off.
  6. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Lifted truck, and the adjustment is off. They compensated by leveling the A-Frame, just not enough.
  7. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

The suv plow has a few chiropractor visits in store for the owner. That's a nice F350 - too bad the plow is gonna wear wrong.
  8. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i'd have to say the F350 owner is the bigger moron. buy a nice new expensive truck, put a lift on it, then throw on a nice new, expensive plow and install it incorrectly:dizzy:

i bet the home plow on the toyota will live longer than the 7 times more expensive fisher because of the idiotic install.

just another reason not to mix big lifts and snowplows - but if you insist on doing it, make sure you perform the proper modifications to the plow.
  9. LEVE

LEVE Member

Laugh all you want, but IMHO the Snowsport is far from worthless. My Snowsport has earned it's keep and paid for itself going on 5 years. For my needs, a 300' driveway, 100' of that on a hill, and a 1200 sqft concrete parking area in front of the garage, using a Snowsport sure beats:
    • A snow blower,
    • A garden tractor with a blade,
    • a couple of snow-shovels,
    • paying to have the work done by someone else (I live in the middle of nowhere, so who's there to pay?).
    I highly recommend one for the average Joe who does his own driveway.

I'd never recommend one to plow commercially. Can a Snowsport hold a candle to the bigger plows, or the commercial plows? Nope, not at all, but it does the job for which it was deigned, for the home owner.
    • It's light,
    • it's quickly installed and removed (at about 150lbs, I easily remove/install it) and
    • it's easily configurable to plow
      • straight,
      • right or
      • left.
    • It works well on gravel and grass.
    Me, I'm lazy and I affixed a cheap winch to raise/lower the blade. That's used only used for transport. Of course, it won't stack snow, even if configured with a winch.

Yep, it's inexpensive, but not cheap quality. In the time I've owned it hasn't had a mechanical problem. I chalk that up to simplicity. What's to break? I love jumping in my 4WD Ranger and 15 minutes later I can go back in, sip cocoa and know my wife's Prius can get out the driveway. That's about as painless as it gets.

So far I haven't seen any downsides to owning/using one; I'm willing to be enlightened.:nod:
  10. Deerewashed

Deerewashed Senior Member

^^^^^ I like this guys attitude.....a lot. Way to show these guys that those plows arent crap is used the proper way.....residentially.
  11. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

X2 :salute:
  12. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed. I also like the use of formatting.

I'm surprised to find out that it weighs 150lbs. It looks like it's aluminum, and it looks like it's half the height of my steel Snowbear that probably weighs about the same.

I'm curious about how it handles deep snow. I know you're supposed to plow with the storm but that's not always an option. It looks like snow would go right over the top of it.
  13. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

I also have a snowsport that I had as my first plow. Not even close to worthless. Now that I have my F250 I have a western plow but for the front of my explorer that snowsport was amazing!
  14. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I tend to agree with the last few posts. While the Ford is much more impressive looking it isn't installed properly what's so ever. I don't know if I would be driving around with a Snowsport on the front of my vehicle though.
  15. LEVE

LEVE Member

The plow is not big, and yes it is aluminum with a rubber cutting blade. I usually store the plow standing on end up against one wall of the garage. I move it with a hand truck. As for installing/uninstalling, you're only lifting one end at a time, not the whole dead weight of the plow. That's highly manageable.

I'll admit, it's not a great plow to "clean" off the concrete area, it leaves some snow. Since you can't force the blade down with hydraulics, or weight, it doesn't clean down to the ground or the concrete. That part may be cured with some down straps. I haven't experimented with these straps, as yet.
    The height of the blade can be a problem in deep snow, depending on the consistency of the the snow. It does do a good job of containing the snow from spilling out the sides.

Yesterday I plowed three times. The first time was at about 8". At about 150' into the first pass the snow was rolling up about 2' above the height of the hood. There is no rubber dam/shiled at the top to turn the snow back in front of the plow. I'd like to solve that problem; as yet I haven't found an inexpensive answer. It does make it hard to see where you're going. But since I can stick my head out the side window and am plowing straight, I just head for the pile 300' away at the end of the pass. Then I'll do the same with the other half of the driveway. This would not be acceptable if I were to attempt it in someone's company parking lot. At my home... no problem.

The deepest (non-drift) snow I've plowed is about 31". It was fun and I was learning. It is the only time I got the rig stuck. I was plowing around the house, and down a hill doing just fine. Then the pickup threw a chain. It took a while to dig it out. I learned the hard way, as you said to plow more frequently during the storm. Another lesson learned, use chain tensioners.

I routinely get 3' drifts about 20' to 30' wide from the field next door that close my driveway. Then I have to push the drift to the right, or left. I'm quickly in "space management mode" when this happens, building up a berm on both sides of the driveway. That tends to close up with more storms if I'm not careful. Sometimes I'll take the snow-blower out and cut away a foot, or so, of snow and blow it over the berm. This is where stacking with a plow would really help.

I hope this answers your questions.
  16. yloflash

yloflash Junior Member

That`s the difference between man toys and boy`s toys.
  17. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Maybe the F 350 isn't parked on level surface. Just a thought.
  18. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

The wear on the cutting edge tells the story....

19. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I bet the moron in the Toyota was at Lowes buying a snowshovel for $10 to shovel their walkway rather than "man up" and spend $1000 on a snowblower. :laughing:Thumbs Up
  20. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

How can you see the wear on the cutting edge? I can't tell from the pic.