1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

At the crossroads

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DAZ982500, Mar 23, 2007.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

Once the insurance pays out for my truck being totaled, fire related, I will need to lok for a truck.I don"nt want to buy a new truck,price.What should I being looking into.NO DODGE.I know it must be 3/4 ton, I an talking more for plowing and towing landscape trailer.I only have 2.5-3 weeks to make this choice. I am in upstate N.Y. SouthCentral area.I realy dont want to spend any more than 15k at max.Can I find a dependable truck or am I asking for to much in to short of time period.dave

2. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

Well with you are only left looking at Chevy, GMC, or Ford. Of these three I would recommend the Ford personally, but that is just my personal preference. I will always have a Dodge, just seems I've had the fewest problems with them, and well I love the solid front axle and Dodge kept that going long after the other three went to IFS. Good luck!

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

3 weeks should give you a good amount of time to find one, but you gotta get your butt moving. I'm sure people on here would be able to help you lol! I bet you could find some really good deals out there right now. I'd look for a F250 with a V10. If you don't mind bad gas mileage (about 14-15 highway) then it is a great truck. I love mine.

4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

in the 3/4 ton and 1 ton market chevy/gmc is the only one to have IFS, ford and dodge both have a solid front axle, both are pretty close in design. in the 1/2 tons, i believe they all now have IFS.
    if i were to buy a older used truck i would look at a 2000-2003 F 250/350 with a 7.3 diesel.

5. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

My bad, I was actually refering to the 1/2 tons in my previous reply.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The 6l gas in a Gm or chev is a great motor and the front ends are very good in my opinion. We run 9'2 Boss's and our 98 GMC bought new has only been a work truck driven by alot of different people. The front end is basically original, original trans,tranfer and rear end (Touch wood) Plowed since new with 160 gallon diesel tank in back. 180km That is our oldest truck. We have had fantastic luck with GMC. Not so much with the other brands. Look for something with a 6L in it.

7. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

not that complicated

you really only have 2 choices a ford or a GM 3/4 ton

8. Mark in MD

Mark in MD Member

If I was you, I'd get moving. Since you're pushing snow, you probably want a standard transmission, right? And because of that, you're pickings will be slim and few between as most models are automatics. I've noticed that most of the standard trans models are on trucks with the smallest engines too. And you want a 4x4 of course. Better start looking.