1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

At odds with current equipment?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jvm81, Dec 16, 2010.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Trucks with plows, skids with bucket, blower, pusher, wb units, compact NH tractors with front mount blowers.

70% drives
    30% commercial

I have to much snow to be done in a timely matter - at least to me. My drives are taking me the time. My thought is to maybe get a bigger tractor and blower to offset my time but: it will sit all summer, maybe to big for sidewalk work but maybe sidewalk boys could use a wb blower, or keep one smaller tractor and trade other in for bigger unit.

I don't really no. Any help would be great or advice on what you guys do or would do.

Yard space is tight and I have done the plow thing, skid pushing piles but with the blowers - snow is gone and people like it vs a pile until april in there yard.

Then if a larger tractor, how big, what brand? I like JD but there frount mount blower is a joke. I have NH but bobcat, kubota, NH, and deere are in town for me so therefore my choices.
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

a more detailed list of equipment, and of accounts would be helpful. sounds like you have the equipment, im thinking it is more of a organization issue, but without more info it is hard to know
  3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

is travel time a problem? or can you drive a tractor from drive to drive? a 7 1/2 foot blower on a 80hp tractor will do a lot of work, but if it need to be trailered or lots of road time the efficiency is reduced greatly. then have a wb/ shoveler doing sidewals etc
  4. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Alot of drives. Small to very large. Walks, people's decks ect.

Small commercial lots. Most time spent on one lot is around 2 hours withe one truck.

A few banks where the skid comes in just to do drive thru cuz truck it to tight to get into those places.

A few commercial with pavement leading to gravel. Toss up b/t skid and truck

Drive's front mount blowers on compact NH tractors and frount mount blower on the skid.

Alot of hand shoveling due to different levels of structures with area businesses.

A few wb blowers.

Just seems that were out forever on day one and were still pushing back piles on day two or going back to fininsh shoveling decks off, extra walks,etc

Just feels like were not getting things done fast enough.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

sounds like alot of confusion and lack of experience
    we were still cleaning up a day after the blizzard here so your not the only one running around
  6. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Sub a couple of the smaller places out for now. If your still swamped, sub more out. You'll still be getting paid, and wearing someone elses equipment out. If you're worried about the quality of work, you'll have time to do drive by's since you won't be doing the headless chicken dance.
  7. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

lack of experience - NO Been doing snow since I have 10 yr old. Thing is then I shoveled two drives after school and got paid in x-mas cookies.

Confussion of whats going on - I don't think I would be at this point with this many clients if I was confused.

We had the big 12 inch snow with 50 winds. I finally finshed snow on thursday after no calls came in on friday. Serviced equipment friday and saturday.
  8. DeAdZoNe

DeAdZoNe Member

What you need to do is break down each piece of your income, job by job, piece by piece. What is each piece of equipment averaging you per hour? What job is using that piece? How much does it cost to repair, maintain, and eventually replace that piece. Alot of people will bash the guy with the 20 year old F150 with 50 driveways. Honestly with 3 one tons, a tractor and a skid, and not being able to use ANYTHING but the spreader once this year. I am beginning to think that guy is my hero because I am about this close to selling something. Be thankful you are working and your customers are happy
  9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Man! first off take a breath, drink decaf and take a step back and break things down. Form a route your equipment/crews keep track of how long each route takes and add equipment or man power, switch things around and determine what you can keep or if you need to sub out some stuff or hire or fire the help. My 4 routes have changed 4 times so far with adding properties. I've already been through 1 plow guy and a couple sidewalk guys. Our first storm was a total cluster and now that we have that one and a couple smaller ones under our belts everything is working. You really shouldn't judge yourself 100% on a the first storm of the season if it's a big one. You always plan for the worst but always a scramble the first big storm.
  10. usefullthings4u

usefullthings4u Junior Member
    from gr mi

Rule # 1, which is good for about everything. KISS, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.
    More parts-more to wear out/break. More engines-more fuel/maintance. Use a good ratio, which is best figured by math, from multiple angles.
  11. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Hey guys. I have been breaking the list down in sections of town where equipment is being used. I broke the list further / job / piece of equipment / hour / man.

I have yet to have snow again since the last big storm to try my new method of madness out but with all my clients, equipment men, sometimes I think I would be better off with a handfull of people or just sit at the office and man the phone and watch GPS tracker where everyone is at. That may be in the perfect world though!