1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

At home or seperate office?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by beanz27, Mar 10, 2013.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I'm curious to see how many people run the entire operation out of their homes or shops at home, and how many have a completely seperate entity for their business, whether its an office, or shop etc.
  2. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

My buisness location is a 3 acre yard and shop about a mile away from our house. Works real good having things seperated. No fuss at home for my wife to deal with lol.
  3. procut

procut Senior Member

Have a shop about 6 blocks away. Never liked the idea of trucks, trailers and equipment everywhere at home.
  4. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

My shop(woodworking) and office are about a mile down the road. If your place of business is at home people have a tendency to think your always open
  5. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

My shop and office r both at my house
  6. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

My office and shop are on the same property as my house
  7. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Same here - my home garage is my shop, til I can build another for equipment. And my office is our small third bedroom of our house.
  8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Same here only spare bedroom is office, we have a 36x80 building next to our house, for shop. I will eventually have to build an office because our kids will need the spare bedroom. Torn between a glorified/insulated shed type building next to shop building or adding on bay onto house garage with enough room to put my truck in & office room in back, so I don't even have to go outside for service calls.
  9. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

My office,tool room,workshop are at my house, but I also got a off site storage(about 1/3 mile away) for materials & larger off season tools.
  10. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Everything is under One Roof One Location
  11. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Everything stays at home, I have three acres so it's no big deal, that and I have no wife to complain about it.
  12. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I have everything separate. I have a shop about 5-10 minutes from my house.

I really think it should be done this way as soon as a business is able to afford it. I started at home of course, like everyone does, but made the move right when the checkbook started allowing me to do so.

My whole thing is I don't want any of my employees knowing where I live. I have had some real scumbags come through as I'm sure most of us have, (no I don't mind saying that publicly) and when I fire someone or whatever may happen, I don't want a visit at home during the night hours, or wake up to some nails in my tires or whatever. Who knows what some of these people would do.

I of course have my shop and office rigged to the max with security features as well. Besides a cellular driven alarm system, I have the place wired with cameras so there is no where that anyone can be in my office, shop, parts room, or outdoor yard storage and not be on camera, no blind spots at all. I also have it streaming to off site storage so if someone steals the camera's DVR box, its already been transferred to a harddrive in a remote offsite location.

I also get text messages when motion is sensed on the cameras anywhere on property. Can't be too safe with the types you get in this industry!
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  13. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

This guy took everything i was going to say! We cut my house but none of my guys actually know its mine. Because We just pretend its like any other Resi... and the family knows not to come out. We also have the same system where I get notifications when a door or motion is detected on the cameras... Big investment but well worth it for anyone not ALWAYS at their shop. Even if its 5 mins down the road. I was lucky to recoup some money from my insurance co. !
  14. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

My office is my house, usually the kitchen table. I keep most of my equipment at a friends house/shop 10 minutes away.
  15. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I have a 700 Sq ft office and a 3500 sqft shop on 3 acres about a mile from the house. Also have another 2000 sqft storage building, and about 3 acres worth of material storage a couple blocks further down the road.
  16. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I run everything out of my house. It can be a hassel having my garage filled with equipment. Idealy I would like to have a shop on my property in the future once I find something I like of course.
  17. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Equipment is in the single car garage. Truck is in the driveway. Office is the spare bedroom. I am a one person operation so I do not worry about employees knowing where I live.
  18. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

My office is a converted dining room in the house. Someday my wife is going to want it back though.:)
  19. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have two locations. Shop there is stand alone and one guy kinda runs the shop there. Office, etc but it also have video so at any given moment I can check and see what's going on. All payroll is logged onto computer and sent to me here. My location we run out of our storage buildings I own. Need a shop here but pricing a 120 x100 shop but not cheap. Other shop is 90 x 70. Office is at home. 4 am I make so some bookwork, or 11 at night. It works.