1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

At a loss for words!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kpmsnow, Jan 12, 2010.

1. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

I received a call last week from one of my hotel owners, and had my first complaint of the season. The complaint was that she had received complaints from a couple customers that my "plow', not my truck, but my "plow" was too loud. This account expects clear asphalt by 6am. She wanted to know if there was any way i could make my plow not bang so loud when it is set to the ground. I was dumbfounded! I have never had a complaint from anyone about the plow noise. They all except that it is a natural part of snow removal and understand that we do our best to get in and out as quickly and quietly as possible. My company maintains the snow removal for all but 4 hotels in our area and has done so for a couple years. This hotel was picked up this year because they felt they where loosing business during the winter because of their slick parking area and hired us because of the level of service we provide to their competitors. I had to think about a response for a moment and politely told her we would do our best to let our plows down "easier" lol. I guess i'm going to have to look into hiring someone to run in front of the truck and toss pillows down under the blades before we let them down :confused:

2. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

you can slow the drop speed down a little...

but you know they'll still complain... thats life.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

it doesn't sound like they are really upset at all, just trying to eliminate complaints on their end. That is pretty funny though

4. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of plow is it? I know Westerns have had a quill adjustment for years that is very easy to slow the plow down. Years ago when I was concerned about the noise on certain jobs, I would simply angle the plow a bit either way before it hit the ground to slow it down right before it hit the pavement.

5. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

Drop speed has been slowed prior. It just caught me off guard, I truly didn't know how to respond. The more i think about it the more it just makes me laugh though lol

6. grasmancolumbus

grasmancolumbus Senior Member

Put some glass packs on the truck and make the truck louder then they wont be able to hear the blade:laughing::laughing::laughing:

7. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

LOL maybe I'll send a loader in there so i can set the pusher down nice and easy since engine noise doesn't seem to bother them lol. Well crap, can't do that either because the back up beepers would drive them up a wall too! lol Guess I'm just screwed :laughing:

8. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

hey they just asked for the PLOW to be quieter... she didnt say nothing bout the backup alarms...

9. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

Something tells me the 938G is goint to be slightly louder then the blade noise :laughing:

10. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I got one better i was order by a new manger of an account to stop leaving snow piles in her lot. They don't look very nice and she doen't want to see them on HER LOT. She went so far to call her home office to complain about the snow piles. Long story short a couple of pic's to her home office the problem went away but she still complained that the lot was not plowed during the 1" snowfall when it was still snowing. there trigger is 1.5" there was a dusting when she called.

11. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I got one better i was order by a new manger of an account to stop leaving snow piles in her lot. They don't look very nice and she doen't want to see them on HER LOT. She went so far to call her home office to complain about the snow piles. Long story short a couple of pic's to her home office the problem went away but she still complained that the lot was not plowed during the 1" snowfall when it was still snowing. there trigger is 1.5" there was a dusting when she called.

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Guessing the Motel customer wanted the roon free....lmao

13. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

Oh yes, I love those. I have a couple of 2" trigger accounts that get plowed after just an inch of accumulation because apparently they can't seem to figure out what 2" looks like. It's :laughing: because every year when we renew contracts with them I explain the 2" trigger guide lines and recommend that they become at a minimum a 1" contract but they always refuse it and call me after the first 1" snow fall and ask why we didn't't plow. It has almost become a game :laughing: The maintenance guys know its a joke and when their boss tells them to call us and see y we haven't plowed yet they are always laughing at it. Maybe next year I will have some tape measures made up with my company name and drop them off as Christmas presents :laughing: I'm not complaining though, I will gladly take the extra work. :D

14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Does it matter about them? They were there for only one night and are gone.

15. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Tell them that's the sound of piece of mind.....

16. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

I wouldn't care to much, tell her you will be as quiet as possible and leave it at that.
    you could fully angle you plow before dropping it, but that is if you really want to feel you are trying to make a difference...

17. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

keep the blade an inch off the ground and see how they like that. It never ends or suprises me what hese clowns will complain about

18. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

That was kinda my thought too. A couple whinier customers to me wouldn't't have even merited a phone call but hey I'm just a dumb plow jockey :rolleyes: It's not like we are in the parking lot all night either. That lot takes about an hour total, and I send in 2 trucks normally. So for a half hour tops there is commotion in the parking lot. :rolleyes: "Loud plow" :laughing::laughing: I love it.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think Hydro is probably correct. 2" triggers are a joke IMO. I have a two inch trigger at my schools. If I didn't show up at 1.5 the superintendent would probably call me directly....

20. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

:laughing::laughing::laughing: Oh that is beautiful!