1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ASV skid Steer for plowing ?? Any thoughts ???

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by On a Call, Feb 21, 2016.

1. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Going to buy a ASV skidsteer....

How well or not do tracked machines work in the snow ??
  2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Have a 2009 PT50 with an Erskine blower and heated cab. I'm just a personal plower. I use it to blow back banks, drifts, nor'easters, and paths around my fields to walk the dog.

To push back large frozen snow piles, I stick the bucket on because it's alot quicker that the blower.

Tracks are great in snow. Never been stuck. Tracks can be slick on ice, but what isn't. Just slow the rpms down to gain traction.

Was pushing back large piles for a neighbor last year; went in a little too far and sunk down. Was able to work it out with the bucket and moving around; couldn't have done that with tires probably.
    ClawM likes this.
  3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

5. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

That lawnsite thread has someone saying that it is not hi flo. That is wrong; my pt50 is hi flo. It's not a 2 speed, which is what he may have intended to say. I think the pt60 is the two speed model.
  6. chad1234

chad1234 Junior Member
    from 48348

We run a asv rc30 with a 5' blade for sidewalks . The tracks are unstoppable don't even notice the snow. It is a small machine but I'm sure could push a larger blade.
  7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

A company that I used to work for used a rc-100 for years to plow an hoa and it did a great job. Personally I had a cat with the asv track system on it and we used it quite a bit in the winter with few complaints. The biggest pain with it was getting it on a trailer to go from place to place doing snow removal
  8. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I have SR70. It is awesome for snow. Wish it was a 2spd. Otherwise it has great traction for plowing and also snow relocating. It has great traction and I can run up hills in the snow with it. Try that with an alternating lug pattern. I love how narrow ASV machines are compared to the competition.
  9. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Yes this one is a 50 also with a heated cab...not really needing ac :)

Thank you all for your inputs.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  10. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

11. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

12. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Wait did you buy the 30? Want to sell it to me?
  13. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Yes the blade on this is too heavy but this thing is slipping a lot. Way more than I thought they would. So a bigger machine might not have as much trouble, but I think snow tires would still be much better. That slipping and spinning is BS and gets old fast.
  14. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Yes...but if I sell it , that is if...I promised a guy here local to it.
  15. xbl003x

xbl003x Member
    from PA

the ASV undercarriage is ideal for snow removal the unique sprocket design does not allow any packing