1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ASV in snow

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by shovelman, Oct 12, 2009.

1. shovelman

shovelman Member

Does anyone use a asv 70 or 80 to clear snow i am looking at buying one for r excacavating business being we do a lot of prep for hydro-seeding but curous how the tracks hold up in dirt an snow just wondering if its does good in snow

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

FWIW, I've heard alot of good things about the snow pushing abilities of the CAT/ASV track design.......I dont think they are NEARLY as durable or stable as a Tak or Bobcat style track machine when it comes to the other work. . I dont know what is more important to you snow or dirt? But you may sacrifice one thing for another?

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

you will be gitty on how much snow it will push:D

4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

ASVs are awesome machines for snow. Their cabs leave a lot to be desired but the performance makes up for it.

5. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I'm also hoping they work well in snow, I don't know how we did without one before for landscaping. My concern is the hydraulics not being able to keep up if we put an 8' snow bucket on our RC50. With the added movement of lifting/dumping at the same time I don't know if it will handle it or just bog down.

6. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

A RC50 WILL NOT HANDLE AN 8ft snow bucket!! It will do better with a 7. I know this because I have tried to use a big azz bucket on my RC50 and it just wont do it. My PT80 however will play with any snow removal tools I have. A 50 will push an 8ft box pusher, a 9ft snow plow, or a 7ft snow bucket.

Anything bigger and you will be on here complaining how your RC50 is a POS and wont do what I want it to.

J.

7. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

8. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Sh*t. Thats what I was afraid of and exactly what I thought would happen. Thanks Peterbuilt for confirming that. I better just pony up for an 8' pusher.

9. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I just took a 7ft light material bucket and added a 1ft high brush gaurd to the back of the bucket. It seems to be the best fit out of all the gadgets that I have used on my 50.

J.

10. nextphaseenviro

nextphaseenviro Junior Member

You'll be fine

We run a 9' snow bucket and 10' pro tech pull back box on a cat 277c and a 7' bobcat angle snow blade on a 247 b2 with no problems. The blade on the 247 could be a foot wider and the 277 pusher is big enough. Whats cool about them is when piling you can drive up on top of the pile and stack... I'd say 8' is plenty big for a rc50

11. DIESEL PLOWGUY

DIESEL PLOWGUY Member

I have two ASV's that plow a ASR SR 70 With a 10 Foot PROTECH and a RC 100 With a 12 Foot PROTECH Block. The 100 is a beast with the 2 speed plows alot of snow and fast. A 70 will push a ten foot pusher very good until you get several inches of real wet heavy snow but loaders dont like that either. You will just have to use your head a litlte. The ASV tracks are great in the snow and you can get up top of piles to stack. We also have several bobcat track machines and I will not plow with them they run high flow blowers only cause they suck in the snow. As far as the tracks they hold up fine in the dirt just stay off pavement with them. If you get one and plow with it I dont think you will regret it, you will prolly wonder why you didnt get one sooner.

12. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

Hey guys,how come I keep being told NOT to buy a track machine for the snow? The tire SS are supposed to be much better.
    I have a New Holland L190(90hp). I had a 10 foot pusher on it last year,and i had no problem pushing anything. I want to go to a 12 footer this year. What are your thoughts??

13. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

They tell you no, because the tracks on New Hollands, Bobcats, Take's, etc. Don't do well in the snow at all. Its how the tracks are built that screws them up. ASVs and Cats with ASV undercarriages are the only "good" track machines for pushing snow.

J.

14. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Disregard post ....thought he listed an LT 190

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  15. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

Do all cat's have ASV undercarriages, all models and series??

been kickin this around for a long time, would love a 287 or 297

thanks
    Nate

16. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

If the skid loader has a "7" in the model number, then its an ASV undercarriage. 247, 257, 267, 277, 287. 297 In A, B,B2, and C series

If its got a "9" in the model number, Then its got a Bobcat and everyone else's type of undercarriage. 279, 289, and 299. Only in a C model for now.

Hope this helps

J.

17. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

cool thanks

going to Demo one in the winter here, hoping to buy it

thanks again
    Nate