1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ASV Demo

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by jkiser96, Jan 25, 2009.

1. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I have an ASV RC 80 demoed this weekend for a clearing job & the salesman told me to keep it & try it on the snow supposedly coming in. I am just lloking for opinions on this machine. We used this thing to push brush & dirt & man this thing is a tank, I hope it is equally impressive in the snow.

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

We run cat 277'a be careful on ice tracks can be alittle slippery on ice.

3. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Make sure you try it in the snow before you buy it (if you plan on using it for snow removal). In my experience the track machines do not get good traction on frozen ground or ice (which is what you drive on once the snow is removed). I do now some contractors in my area that use them for snow removal (both 80s, 100s and Bobcats) but they both admit that the track machines are not as good do to less traction. I notice in your avatar that you display a 430 or 435 ZHS. Do you actually have one? If so try it out in the snow and see how well it works. The track loaders will perform similarly.

4. The ASV's have far superior traction over bobcat, case, etc. This video proves it: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=JjYT8lQN6YU

5. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  6. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

As I said, I know other contractors that use them for snow removal. The ASV has a suspension system on it's under carriage. This has advantages and disadvantages. They also come with a different tread pattern on the tracks. Both of which (I think) lends itself to better traction over the Bobcat and some other machines. I think that the video of the machine pushing the snow (looks like an older ASV but it's hard to see) will better demonstrate the machines abilities in the intended use. What you can't tell from the video is wether or not the conditions were ideal (ie temp, humidity, grade etc.). You have a machine and will get the best input from your own use of it in the intended applications.

As you have stated in the first post you will be using the machine for dirt work as well. If so I would like to talk about my experience with this under carriage. ASV and Caterpillar entered into an agreement that allowed Cat to use the ASV undercarriage on thier compact track loaders. I demoed a Cat 257 a couple of years (+/-) back. I had the machine for about 40 hrs of use. I really liked the machine (especially compared to the rubber tire machines I had used before). I really liked how smooth the machine road. I felt that it got good traction and could push, fill the bucket, and climb much better than a conventional skid steer. The bad side to the under carriage came in the form of damage to it. I own many tractors and have been operating equipment for over 20 years. I have a machine with over 12,000 hours that is still in great shape. I mention this to demonstrate that I do not abuse equipment. After using the 257 the undercarriage had been damaged. One of the front bogie wheels (made of plastic) had a hole in it. Also after it was returned to the dealer another customer (who subsequently demoed the machine) claimed that the cogs on the tracks were broken off and the dealer tried to get me to buy new tracks or the whole machine. I talked with a former Cat salesman about this and he told me to read the manual before I made a purchase. The manual said that they would not warranty the machine if you used it in the way that you would want to use a tracked a machine (such as slopes etc). In the end the dealer decided that they did not want me to pay for the repairs. I was greatful for that but was dissapointed because I really liked the machine. I also know others who have had these problems plus the the rubber on the lower idlers will chunk off if you work in gravel. These same people are still satisfied (overall) with there machines and have stated that they would probably purchase one again. If you operate on sandy ground, lawns etc. than I would recommend it. If (like me) you are in rocky ground and slopes I would not. Please consider this also. Cat has come out with a new (improved?) undercarriage that I am not familiar with. Maybe ASV has also (if you are demoing a brand new '09 unit) changed theirs as well. Maybe somone else can comment on that. Good luck.

7. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

The video is a brand new one. PT80, not SR80. Its mine. The older SR series were all yellow and red, Pt Series are Black with yellow, and the new 09 Terex versions are white with black and look suber tough IMO.

I use mine for everything and in every condition. I also have a RC50, Its an 05 with 800 or so hours. Its had now undercariage issues at all and its used in every type of working condition.

You are correct, not all track machines are created equal. I know that Take's are built way tougher and will take on way more severe punishment. Another thing to preach here is ASVs and Takeuchis are the only ground up designed CTL/MTL on the market. EVERY other brand has a modified skid loader. EVERY OTHER BRAND.

For me, I have been in all machines, Case, Cat, Take, Bobcat, Deere, etc. ASVs are the only every season track loader you can buy. (with the acception on cat witch uses ASV under carriages) I can't own a machine unless I can get every bit of life out of it. I hate looking at my excavator in the winter. It just sits. Thank god its paid for.

J.

8. KRtraxx

KRtraxx Junior Member

If I remember correctly the Cat /ASV owners manual also says that their UC is not
    designed to be used for back grading(in reverse).. at least they used to anyway..A skid you are not supposed to work in reverse???
    Those 257s are a bit heavy for that UC..Thats one reason they have issues quicker than the 247 or the 50/60 ASVs..All of these machines ride and perform well,,But their UCs are expensive to maintain..
    I used to sell for Cat and now sell ASVs,NHs and Mustangs..(VTSs)You will laugh,but when I go to plow snow in my own yard I head for a 185 NH with Solideal over the tire rubber tracks.Even though I have a yard full of choices I love how these tracks perform in snow.Ice would be a different story,But ice is an issue for ALL tracked units.. My reasoning is speed,low cost of operation and the ability to pile it high by driving right up the pile..

9. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

That is my 430 ZHS that my son is running in the avatar. I used it last winter to clean the street in front of my house & man it sucks, absolutely zero control if any ice is under. I have an S-175 that I just bought this summer & it is working great all around. They are calling for a few inches tonight so hopefully I can try it out a little.

10. seventwenty

seventwenty Member

The new and "improved" Cat undercarriage you speak of they actually refer to as Compact Track Loaders, whereas the ASV style tracks are known as Multi-Terrain Loaders. Regardless, the CTL cat u/c is all metal with a track that has metal lugs embedded which the metal bogie wheels and drive wheels ride in, they also feature torsion bar suspension and a new track style similar to the Bobcat/NH/JD. This new style appears to be intended for use which the MTL's were said to not be used for (slopes, rocky or extremely abrasive environments).

http://www.cat.com/cmms/images/C439450.pdf

OP, I've been looking at tracked Cat for some time now and from the videos I've seen on the web they look like tanks in the snow! The youtube videos above prove it if you ask me. I would demo a Cat too if you have the opportunity, I've never ran a ASV machine but I'm absolutely in love with the cab of the new C series cats. :eek:

11. cornerstone

cornerstone Member

We have an ASV RC 30 and purchased an RC 85 cab/ac last week. Had the ice storm from hell mon,tue,wed of this week. I used the 85 all three days thru the storm at a grocer/strip mall we take care of. I was amazed how well it performed up hill down hill on the loading docks etc... The best part was being able to drive up on the sidewalk infront of the stores and resturants and scrape off the ice. 10,000lb machine with 3.5lb per sq. in. on the sidewalk, priceless. Normally that's the RC 30's job but we blew a hyd. drive hose just before the storm and no time to fix.

The heated cab paid for itself already by avoiding warm up stops. I climbed in at 4:00pm one day during the storm and stopped later for fuel and Mt. Dew and the lady told me it was 9:30pm.

We rented the RC 30 a couple years before purchasing mainly from track maint. fears. I found with the type work we do and only select people operating it the track system hasn't been a problem and having the machine around full time has been a god send. I call the 30 a smart mans wheel barrow. I certainly wouldn't want a rental fleet of them, I think Bobcat or New Holland would live better in that life.

DSC03796.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  12. seventwenty

seventwenty Member

I had no idea the ASV machines were so heavy till I was looking on their website! :eek:

What are the cabs in those machines like? They look really small from the outside..

13. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Cabs are nice. Lots of elbow and leg room. They look small an 85 or 100 due to how big the rest of the machines are. Look at a PT30. Same cab smaller machine.

14. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Well the ASV performed above my expectationsin the 12" snow we had this week. I had it last night pushing piles up & with a full buket going uphill it hardly bogged down at all. I had a few other contractors stop to see how it was & they all run it & were very impressed.I also had my S-175 pushing as well & it surprised me at how well it did.

15. rredd13

rredd13 Member
    from ontario

I have 3 pt 100s...2 are with blades 1- 9ft and 1-11ft....the other one i put a 84inch blower on and love this set up ..the travel speed is great. When pushing snow you can drive over the piles and ontop of the snow, i have been ontop of 7 ft banks with them!
    Blower works great for blowing the the plow ridges and banks back from the pick up trucks.
    As far as up keep look after the tracks keep em clean and they will last. the asv is a far supirior machine to any other track machine as far as versitility in all conditions.
    I am not going to say they are perfect ...nothing is! but i have been very happy with them the my old ones were in great working order with very little on upkeep to them ...the track system i had really no issues with them i was getting about 2000 hrs- 3000hrs on them. so in my opinion that is equal or better then other track or tire systems.
    Operating in snow and ice conditions yes they will slip on pure ice ..but what doesnt!
    But you learn to operate in that condition quickly and easy!

I will guarentee that with that 9 ft blade on it ...i can out plow any pickup combination out there, and speaking from experience it does out plow our 13 and 18 ft angle plows on 150hp tractors ....because you can plow in both directions winging it over and spinning on the spot.

As far a s dirt and gravel same as any other track model skidsteer ...but smother beacause of suspension on the asv.

hope this helps you out

I am NO way bias to a paticulur machine i have case tire machines as well and you can see out of them way better then the ASV's or Cat's ....but all depends on the aplication your using the machines in.

16. cornerstone

cornerstone Member

RC 85 cab pic

DSC03802.jpg

17. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

I've used an SR70, SR80 and PT30 ASV in snow and I thought it did better than the S130, S185, Cat 226B and Volvo MC70B Wheeled Skid steers in the snow.

18. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

To clarify on backblade work. ASV states not to run on just the rear of the track because it is putting extra stress on the rear wheels. Just leave the entire track on the ground. I haven't had any issues using it in this manor. The cab in the sr/pt 70/80 are a little tight for larger guys with the flip down lap bars, the other style interior is more open. Overall, I really like them. I have had an rc60, rc100, and now an sr70.

19. MagnumB

MagnumB Junior Member

Great thread. In keeping with the topic and the comments here. i am looking at the PT80 and the Cat 297c.

I really like the PT80, nice machine, but I am 6'4" and 300#'s and I have to say the Cat fits me better from a comfort standpoint. I am in this machine all day so this should be a consideration I suppose. Also the airseat in the cat is the only seat suspension system I don't crush...also a plus.

Real reasons I am considering the 297c is the vertical lift. It's something I absolutely need, I was sad to find out ASV doesn't have that *yet?*

I know from the ASV guys I have talked to, there is nothing better on the planet, but tell me, will that Cat offer similar durability and performance compared to the PT80. Some guys say the PT80 is better balance than the Cat MTL's, but I hear the Vertical lift machines with the extra weight on the back kind of give the 297 a similar feel.

Anyhow, any feedback you can all offer on either of these great machines would be great. I need to decide soon since the in lot PT80 and Cat 297C are 08 stock at the stronger canadian dollar amount. Next stop is 15k more. *OUCH*

thanks in advance for the help.

20. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

I have to be honest here. I'm bias when it comes to Caterpillar. Especially when it comes to their new C series. I think Cat took the ASV idea and made it much better, as far as under carriage is concerned. Unless I'm missing something here, if ASV was that great Cat would still want to use their under carriages right??? Anyways, the cab is VERY comfortable, perhaps more comfortable than any other track/skid loader I've been in.

It's Caterpillar, what else do I need to say. Service is great, machines are great.
    You get what you pay for.:salute: