1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ASV/Cat posi track system vs wheeled skids

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by plowzilla, Feb 8, 2015.

1. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Need some advice, I own an ASV RC60 and have been using it for snow removal the last 6 years. I do not have any issues with the way it moves snow, but I would like to get another skid steer. I was wondering if any of you who own a Cat or an ASV with the posi track system have had any experience with a wheeled skid loader with a good set of "snow tires" on them and how do they compare? I have driven several wheeled skid steers in the snow at my work, even had to move some snow to get to where we needed to set up our equipment. They work but seem to slip a lot or get stuck. Needless to say the tires are either standard or run flat tires. Anyone run the posi track and a good set of tires? If so, what are your thoughts? Thanks in advance to those who respond.

2. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

We have a CAT 277D (same track system as the ASV), a CAT 262D (with std 12" tires), and an older John Deere 260II skid loader. Nothing beats the CAT track loader in snow......But, they are expensive to buy and maintain and not very forgiving on rough services or dry pavement. So having a skid loader is nice to have as well. Up until this season, we ran the JD on its standard 14" tires with a snow blower. The machine was doable but really sucked if slippery out. I cannot imagine using the machine with the 14" tires using a 8 or 10' snow pusher. This past fall we got specific snow tires/rims from Westside (see my other post on site). My operator says its night and day difference. The CAT with the smaller tires does pretty good especially with new tires on the rear of the machine, but this machine also uses a snow blower. Not sure how it would do trying to push snow. Get a skid and fork out another $1,500+ for snow tires/rims. You will still be much cheaper than a track machine.

3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Was pushing back snowbanks yesterday for the third time this year with my ASV PT-50 and got stuck. Was pushing it back farther that the previous times and sunk. Couldn't back up because it was like driving up a ledge. Managed to work my way forward and drove thru a few feet of snow in the yard to get back around. That's when tracks shine over tires.

4. Capt. Fred

Capt. Fred Member

We have the RC60 also and love it we don't get nearly the snow you guys get but when we get it she shines the wheeled skids we use all do fine for what we get but do loose traction quicker especially the Deere 250 with protech8' box when she gets full and it's slippery out she will break loose, we run a boss vplow on rc60 over 3000 hrs and tough as nails

5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

The RC30 we had was awesome in the snow. Ran an 8 foot box on 200 foot runs in an apartment complex. 2-4 inch snows and no issues at all.

The ASV undercarriage will outwork a wheeled machine for sure with stock tires. Snow tires, I can't say as we've never run them.

6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

The only problem is that ASV undercarriage is going to cost a lot to maintain vs snow tires. Each has their place though. Plowing I'd rather have the wheeled unit but for stacking I'll take a track machine every time

7. Do It All Do It Right

Do It All Do It Right Senior Member

Tracks rule but are pricy. We have an older cat b series and the newer machines c, and d series have a track cystem that is alot more open and easier to clean out. We have a 277b and run a 10' pusher.