1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Assistance with Large Church

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by PerfiCut Inc., Sep 14, 2010.

1. PerfiCut Inc.

PerfiCut Inc. Senior Member
    from Eastern

We are looking at bidding this facility and could use some suggestions on bidding this. We use a variety of bid contracts, some based on a per hour rate, some based on per inch.

Given the large size of this facility I am considering going with a flat hourly rate due to the uncertainty of how long it will take to clear. The facility runs 7 days a week. Most daytime hours during the week are for staff and maintenance personnel only. I think Tuesday and Thursdays there is a small daycare center that takes place with about 150 students. Theres almost always something happening every evening with about 25% of the parking lot required. Of course Saturday and Sunday or the big days where every space needs to be open. They are wanting curb to curb service, as well as sidewalk service.

What are your thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

That would be an awesome lot to plow if it didn't have all those islands and it looks like there are light posts throughout the parking lot as well? Where do they want you to put the snow? I don't really see anywhere for it to go in most places because there is not much room between the lots and the driveways. Start stacking snow there and it looks like it will just end up in the road. How much snow do you get in "eastern"? Do they want salt too? I think you are on the right track with the hourly thing....

Maybe you could sell them on a sprinkler system and some fert and squirt too!

3. PerfiCut Inc.

from Eastern

Yes there are a ton of light poles, however I think there spaced far enough apart that it shouldnt be too bad.

The snow goes to long islands and grass areas.

There is a zero tolerance for ice, since, those that come to evening and weekend services, come in dress shoes and heels. So, any chance there might be ice we will be salting. We put into service last season a liquid sprayer with about 300gallons of Ca Brine. Works well for pre-treatments, and those 1/2"-1" dustings.

Typically we get a half dozen events, ranging from 2"-7". Another half dozen freezing rains or light snowfalls. Although, theres times we don't get anything. It's hit or miss around here.

The location of this facility is little further south of our snow belt region so it will probably get the lesser of event accumulations.

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Tell me what beand of stakes your going to put on this lot, so I can buy stock in the company first. It's gonna take a 1000 stakes to mark all those islands.

5. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

use a loader with a push box and then you can stack on the other side of the perimeter roadway. quite a bit of concrete sidewalks to keep clear as well.

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

do you plan on using the 3 fords and 1 skidsteer? or are you going to lease a loader or backhoe?

2 backhoes with 14' pushers, 1 truck with a v, a 2 man crew atv plow/shovel. $1480. per trip.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like there are tons of places to stack the snow to me.

Sweet lot..It looks some where around 10 truck hours to me to push 5" with wings.

8. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

9. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

That lot is massive. Make sure you can handle it. Some times it not worth it. Just be careful you don't get burned.

10. PerfiCut Inc.

from Eastern

We are preparing and trying to work with the facilities manager to pick this up this season. We do a similar sized church not far from this one. We ran 7 trucks, 3 backhoe's, and 2 skids last year during the blizzard.

The trucks could barely keep up with it. But on a typical 4-6" storm which is more like what we get around here, they should have no problem.

I was thinking on this lot to drop it down to 3 trucks, 2 backhoes, and 2 skids with pushers, and a snowblower attachment.

11. nekos

nekos Senior Member

exactly what i was thinking.
    I wouldn't even attempt that lot with just trucks. It would take for ever to move the snow around that lot to stack it.

12. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me.

13. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

You have 10 or 12' pushers on the back hoes? Either one I think would work good. Looks like a few places are newly tarred. Make sure you have rubber on the pushers and not just metal with out trip edges, or you might as well order a few windshields before you start