1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Asphalt Paving?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by snow, May 25, 2003.

1. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I know a few members here have larger dumps and machinery. Just wondering if anyone here does asphalt paving? I know a few people who do it and would like to learn it if i go into business for myself. My boss does some patching but only when he does a sewer line or something and has to do a small patch in the road.

For those who do pave, with all the investment for machines, tools and insurance, is paving worth it? It seems for smaller driveways people will just spread it all by hand instead of using a paver.

Anyone have any more info on this topic?

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I don't know any one who really spreads by hand if they can help it.I know if i was looking for a paving contractor i would pick one with a spreader over one who will do it by hand .Just from the stand point of iregular or non level spreading or under experienced spreaders.
  3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

When i worked bridge constuction we almost always paved by hand,we actually got pretty good at it.By the time a paver got his act together and the depth figured out,he was already half way across the bridge and we would fix it by hand anyways.

I'm not suggesting thats the "proper" way,but if you got a couple guys who know what they are doing it's definetly an option.
  4. KenP

KenP Senior Member

I was an inspector for an engineering firm for a few years. Did a lot of Township streets and State Hwys. Seems to me that the boys who were making the real money were the one who had access to THEIR OWN asphalt plants. That's just my opinion I could be wrong!
  5. eatonpaving

eatonpaving PlowSite.com Addict

:drinkup: i can answer those questions for you. yes its worth it even with all the investments you make, but it not a walk in the park by know means, doing the paving is somewhat easy, its everything else, dealing with customers is the thing, bidding the job is another, if your commited to doing it the correct way, its gonna be hard, telling the customer the three inches your gonna put down on his new drive at 4000.00 is better than what the next guy will do for 2500.00 at an inch and a half, and it will usally be a gipsey.he doesent see the amount of asphalt, he sees the amount of money, out of 20 bids like this you might get one. then theres the equipment, at least one dump truck, one rollar, and paver, forget doing it by hand, one truck, 5 yards of material weights 7 tons if you have a driveway that takes 21 tons and your gonna do it by hand and its 90 degrees, your guys will leave.the best thing to do is buy a dump truck and haul asphalt for someelse for a summer and learn the paving side of it. start with patching first its the easiest then the driveways and parking lots will come later. things you will need to know( dealing with city officals)(dealing with inspectors)(dealing with engineers). i have been paving for 26 years i can let you know anything you need to know. pavingservice.com. randy
  6. Roadwarrior

Roadwarrior Junior Member
    from CNY

Start out patching. After this past winter it's a great year for repairs. See if you like it or not. If you do demo a power box. And see if you like that. It's alot of hot work. And it's not like being a carpenter. You can't take a piece back out if you don't like it and replace it. You get basicly one shot at it.
  7. snow

Well, i had my first real experience today with paving. My boss is doing the sitework for a Subway Sandwich shop and we put in an apron today. We had to put down base material, compact it, and then pave it.

I was in charge of the wheel barrow and placing the asphalt for the apron. It was hot out and with the asphalt even hotter, but i still enjoyed it.

We're doing the work in downtown New Haven and it was non stop work from basically 8am till when my boss finished for the day (i left at 3).

Even with all the hard work and labor, i enjoyed my paving experience and hope to do some some more paving soon.

I did have time to snap a photo of the apron.

8. eatonpaving

eatonpaving PlowSite.com Addict

:drinkup: looks good,
  9. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like you did a good job. But does it really took you and crew 7 hours to do this small job? It just does not look that much to me in the picture. Was there more work done but not shown in the picture?
  10. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

lol.... I hope thats not the subway your paving upto next the dump...
    Just to funny...
  11. snow

the 7 hours was from when we got there till i left. The apron took only a short time. We put in an anti-tracking pad so mud doesn't go onto the road, raked and bagged at least 10 big bags of trash around the lot,and some other small things. The apron only really took an hour or 2 from start to finish. It was part of the sidewalk with curb before we started. We pulled out 3 big sections of granite curb, dig up the dirt, added roadbase material, compacted it, and then paved.

We'll be back at the lot sometime next week.

12. ppablov

ppablov Junior Member
    from Dakota

Hi snow, I am not sure about the costs of starting a new business because I am a beginner myself. However I can advise some good asphalt paving products that might be a good start. Check the link above... hope it helped.

13. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Machine laid & machine rolled.

Asphalt equipment is very costly to get into.

Tandem or Tri-axle, dually air equipment float trailer, Bobcat machine, vibe roller, LeeBoy paver unit, crew trucks & all other hand tools/rakes. Ur probly lookin at $500K start up plus marketing!
  14. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Asphalt paving is one job I hope to avoid. The company I work for does paving,the work day's are about 15 hours long, they only do roads & highway's, all government jobs no driveway's. There is a lot of equipment, 3 or 4 spreaders, 3 graders, a lot of large rollers, skid steer loaders, shoulder spreaders, water trucks. We have a lot of private trucks hauling asphalt. There is 3 tractors pulling tri axle live floor trailers that belong to the company.

We do have one asphalt plant that is stationary, and another one that is portable. All our rock materials come from the company's quarry, they also supply the materials to the other paving company's. The total value of the equipment would scare ya.
  15. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Coco Paving's gonna corner all of Ontario one day! LOL :cool:
  16. CAT 245ME

That's interesting. The company I work for started in around 2001 or 02, before this they were under a different name which the previous company had been around over 80 years before being sold off due to family fighting over the company (money), it was massive, they controlled New Brunswick, Nova Scotia & Newfoundland. They were so big that they kept the other large company's from Ontario and western Canada out of here. We have one mechanic that started working for them back in the 60's and he told me once that they had 30 Cat 966C loaders at there large heavy equipment shop all parked in a row. They were into all types of construction as well as forestry, owning 3 saw mills. The new company that started in 01 is owned by family members of the old company.
  17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

wow seven years to wait for answer........
  18. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

I see Dexter is slowly creeping back into New Brunswick,took over Lafarge's asphalt plant here last year now got the contract to do alot of work along highway 1 then take it all over for like 30 years to maintain it year round.

Might see some big changes in these parts within the next 5-10 years
  19. CAT 245ME

I think the reason they got it was because of the shape Atcon Construction was in, if they had of been stable, I believe the Brun-Way group would've got it. Would've been nice because we were part of the Brun-way bid for route 1.
  20. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Hey you never know highway 7 might be next,I bet there a quite a few pizzed off government garage workers lately lol