1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Asphalt Cracks!!!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by REAPER, Feb 24, 2010.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Have been doing this lot all season. This particular lot has a real light asphalt cover. It is only 2 inch's thin and I doubt it has been sealed in at least 10 years as it looks like gravel sprayed black.

Anyway we had a couple of warm days last week and I guess it decided to push up.

It may not look like much.
    asphalt crack.JPG

Maybe 1 1/2 inch's up.
    asphalt break.JPG

But that SOB brought the truck to a complete stop going about 15 MPH on a run.
    My blade already had a hole on this side from a curb hit I took a couple of years ago but this popped the welds on the side and opened it up more! :realmad: Not to mention the headlight!

headlight broke.JPG

passenger side plow corner.
    pass side plow.JPG

asphalt crack.JPG

asphalt break.JPG

headlight broke.JPG

pass side plow.JPG
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Only 15 mph?
  3. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

ya you sure it was or that pulled only 15mph? I hit a car that pulled out infront of me a couple years back doing 30 and it didnt do anything but messs up a ram on my plow.
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

seriously you have to stop taking a sledge hammer to your plow, oh, and why your at it... time to buy a new one!

put a cone or barrel on that spot so you don't hit it again.

why didn't she trip?
  5. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

That sucks. There goes the profit on that lot :eek:

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Maybe 20 absolutely not more then 30! :laughing:

Car probably absorbed a lot of your impact along with the give of the car moving when impacted. This did not budge and there was no give.

Going to hammer on it today to try to get the bend out as much as I can. Cone is a good idea but as it is I have teenagers taking the marking sticks at the curbs and tossing em in the grass. I am sure a cone would just get stolen or run over.

Not sure why it didn't trip. It slammed the plow to a straight position and the truck came to a abrupt stop.

Buy a new one? I may after I get another truck this summer. This is the last season with this truck for me.

You can say that probably 3 times. :realmad:
  7. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

is it time to buy a new windshield for the truck too?

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I wear a seatbelt when plowing so that helped keep it in one piece. I see no cracks and believe me I looked it over good when I washed it off. I am sure I put it at the stress level tho of ready to break and am willing to bet the next hard hit I take it will crack or completely break out. I have had that happen on GMC's I have had in the past but so far no cracks on this Dodge. :redbounce
  9. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Plow it going the other way so you are on the high side of it first.
  10. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

Ya I am sure it took most of the hit. But it hit enough to bend the fisher mounts on my truck haha. I hated valentines day snowstorm.
  11. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

ahhh, the pothole loved you so much it just wanted to kiss you back:laughing::laughing:
  12. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

lol it wasnt me with a pothole lol

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Same thing happened to a buddy but it blew both airbags on his Super Duty
  14. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

That buddy must drive 30-35 mph. They turn on when go above 30-35 mph.

Been there with ******* company who tight trip spring too much so I drive 10 mph and hit pothole. It end broke headlight mount and truck went backward about 2 feet.

That picture show me he didn't do 15 mph I am sure 25-30 mph to have that damage.
  15. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

$153.oo for the part
    $ 10.71 tax

$163.71 for 1 freaking plastic headlight!!! :realmad:

Thanks to Wauconda Car Care & Tire Center for getting the part so fast.

EXTREMEV Junior Member

gotta love how the boss plows trip, it will put ya threw the windsheild! :realmad: Them blacktop patches can be nasty with anykind of plow though.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010