1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Asking your opinion

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gslam88, Jan 9, 2003.

?

Dump Truck

1. Keep the truck

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  2. Sell the truck

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Wait and see

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Guys,

I have a question, but let me give you some back ground...

e...

I started a part time biz almost 2 years ago, a little trucking, a little hardscaping, had a good job, but got laid off june of this year .... found a job for a liitle while nov and dec this year... however in the 2 moths that I worked there made $350, got a piece of equipment that I needed and they still owe me $150... so I left..... could not survive on that....

So I started to plow this season with my own truck, replaced my s-10 with 145k on it... with a K2500 diesel with plow... that is also just 3 weeks before being laid off... I also have an Internaional 4900 dump truck

Well trying to cut costs I put my International Dump truck up for sale... after several months someone might buy it...

so here is my dilema, I know in the spring that I will be busy at a local yard doing deliveries for the guys... I did some work for him last year... I am pretty sure that its about 6 weeks with about $500 day gross ... and that is with out the new customers that I built this year... just think that I do not have enoug customer right now to survive.. .less than 20 total currently.

What is everyones opion, should I hold on to the truck and wait the 2 or 3 months and go full bore with it and try and make a living or sell the truck and look for something else....

Wondering

Pete

2. phishoook

phishoook Member

Equipment = Money

If you sell then you'll have money for awhile, then no money and no equipment and no way to make money.

but sometimes things get real bad and selling is better than waiting.

3. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

it depends on what's in the fridge. If there is nothing and your' kids (if you have any) are asking why, you might consider it. You can always buy another truck later. However, if you can finance your living expences until you can make the $500 a day and it's a good dependable truck, hold onto it.

Is there any work there for hauling snow? Every truck in the city here has been going 24-7 for the past 4 days.

Try to keep your dump truck working all year. ideal situation I know. In the end it's your call

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

If at all possible.ID keep the truck,especially if its paid for,it dont owe you nothing.It can only make you money.Advertise locally for hauling /delivering salt,sand,or snow removal,there has to be work for that truck.I know if I owned it,I could use it all the time here.I wish i had a truck like that here.besides if you sell the truck how are you going to make the big$$ in the spring,what will you do to replace that income without the truck?

5. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

I would have to agree with the others as well, keep it if you can. You might also look into renting the truck with or without your services as the driver, might be a little less $$ without you driving it, but it might be a little extra $$, and I know around here there are a lot of contractors that do not own equipment and are always looking for trucks to rent.

Good luck...

6. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

gslam88

there's a lot of us out there that have the same problem you do. as most of us either do construction, landscaping, masonry, etc... .

it can be tough to make ends meet, in the winter months. in the winter , most of my work gets shut down. which is why most of us clean snow. after my first winter, with no snow, i learned really fast that you need to put money away during "your booming" times of the year.

besides not being able to work, it can get downright boring.

i would say, if your starving, or in a real financial dilema, then sell the truck. if you can get by until spring, then wait it out.

maybe talk to other contractors, to see if they can give you and the truck some work. talk to some excavating contractors, they usually work year round.

just remember to put something away during your season, to live off of, when you have no work.

(god, i sound like my parents!)

7. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I'd keep the truck, unless you absolutely had to sell it, Youv'e got the job for it in six weeks, and trust me once you sell a piece of equipment like that, you'll kick yourself because all kinds of work will come in for it.

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Keep it,i'm sure you could make back more than you would get selling it.If your really stuck,it would be good collateral for a short term loan to tide you over.

You'll be kicking yourself if you do sell it and want to get another,as it will probably cost you way more to replace it.

Hope it all works out for you,good luck.

9. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i kept all my equipment for this year.had a real bad year 2002 2001.but almost everything is paid for.my large dump is paid for and so is my f350 and f250 just my f250 LD and 2 mowers are not paid for but im keeping them no matter what.i wanna move forward not back,but sometimes you have to move back

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd go along with everybody else in suggesting that you keep the truck. Could you get by for a month or so? Then if you had to, use the truck as collateral to borrow just enough to get by for the next month or so until you start getting some of that work?

I've learned the hard way that selling eguipment to get by, figuring to replace it later, just leads to more problems.

11. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Guys,

Thank you for the advise, several of you had good point to be made

I am leaning toward keeping the truck, that is still owned by the bank... I think I can hold out for a little while longer....or at least I hope that I can..... It's a new year so the only way things can go is up for me from where I am at right??

I will let you know how it goes.... .

Pete

12. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Would you consider being a chaufer type??? I know my father's company is always looking. You would drive people to the airport in their cars. Pays about 15-20 hr?

Let me know and I will put you in touch with them.