1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Asking too Much of my F350????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ford6.9, Aug 1, 2007.

1. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Alright, well the season is coming around and i have a set of wings off my other plow a 7.6' boss straight blade. These are the stock boss wings they sell....i have never used them but am looking to put a new plow which will be mounted on a 2003 F350 diesel 6.0. i have been thinking about getting a 9.2 V Boss and using the wings for parking lots and other large areas???? But am now questioning this as someone had mentioned that it would kill my tranny pushing all that snow? Ohh yes, and i have the TQshift trans. Thanks in advanced for any help on this

2. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

6.0 or 7.3 diesel? According to Boss's application guide, its a 7.3 but, whatever. You should be fine with a 9' 2" vee blade. Check Boss' application guide (on their website) yourself. Its very helpful. Also, does the truck have the snow plow prep package? This would be nice.

Good luck.

3. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

i have the 6.0 engine and its an 8' bed reg cab tow/haul

But my question stems more of will the wings keep a volume of snow too large for me to safely push lets say an 8" stom? And yes i understand each stom is different considering snow weight and all.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would use the wings. On the heavy nights take less of a bite and see how it pushes. I have an 8'6" straight blade with Western Pro Plus wings. I can push a lot of snow. On my last truck, a 2000 Dodge with the famous transmissions, I had a 9' straight blade with sides that came straight out like a pusher box. 4 years plowing and never any tranny issues. A few front end parts but it was a Dodge.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You might have problems with the infamous snap ring or planetary pins walking out, but that was just piss poor designing on Ford's part.

Asking too much? Not even close. I have an 8611 LP and a Sidewing. I can clear about 14' in one pass and it doesn't even work until the snow gets wet\heavy. This is the only one of my 3 that has not tranny work done yet.

6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

that would be cool to watch. this winter i need to head up and take a look at your trucks. :)

7. jrglandscape

jrglandscape Member

I run a 99 f-350 single wheel rear. With a 7.3. diesel. it has a 9,2 boss poly plow. I do private roads mostly straight blade up the center first push. The truck has never had a problem with the trans since new. I do change the fluid twich a year in it. once in the fall and once in the spring. I pulled a 25' goose neck trailer with 4' sidie loaded with wood for months on end. I would put on the wings and try it out. I know the best thing for a safety issue is get a trans temp gauge. Don't let the temp get to a high degree and you'll be fine.

8. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I thank everyone for whats been said so far. I do plan on getting the guages in,,,just that good O'l time issue, but i am pretty sure ill give it a try and just take it slow. Worse comes to worse ill have to take a smaller run, but it seems that it would make light work of 2-4" stoms as far as clean up and such. and i have had no problems to far towing my 20' enclosed trailer everyday so ill just ASSume it will go the same:nod: (lil humor there guys)

Any other thoughts or talk on this subject would be great keep it coming!

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Hopefully we get a year like last year. I was outpushing my F800 one day on a lot.