1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Asking for a little info on a Diamond plow on ebay

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Butch Coolidge, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Butch Coolidge

Butch Coolidge Junior Member
    from Alaska

Hello, Butch here.

I'm interested in this plow listed on ebay:

My main concerns are the fitment on my 99 F250 Super Duty. Obviously I'd need to buy an appropriate mount since the only 2 that the seller offers are not right for me. However, I'm a little confused on the Meyer/Diamond relationship.

As I understand it, Meyer bought Diamond in the early 90s. I know that Meyer/Diamond use the EZ Classic mount which is what the seller states this plow has. I also know that Diamond used the Pull Away mount.

The part that I'm confused on is the fact that the pics show the blade to say "Diamond" whereas other pics I've seen show blades that say "Meyer Diamond". So is this a Meyer/Diamond or an older Diamond? Could this plow actually have the Meyer EZ Classic mount like the seller says or should it have the Diamond Pull Away mount?

I am not familiar with either so I can't tell just by the pics. I've spoken with the seller and he is going to try to come up with more info but I'd like to be prepared with some info from others who aren't involved with the sale.

Does anyone see any red flags with the ad? It looks like a good deal to me, even if I need to buy a mount seperately. Another thing I'm wondering about is the third pic in the ad. Near the middle of the blade you see two lines or hoses that come up and droop to the left. They appear to be connected together with possibly a quick coupler but I don't know what they could possibly be for and why they would be connected as such. Aren't the only hoses on the unit connected permanently from the pump to the angle cylinders?

Assuming that the plow does have an EZ Classic mount, that would mean I just need to find a mount for my truck that is designed for the EZ Mount system, right? Should connect normally to the plow?

Thanks for any info.

2. Butch Coolidge

from Alaska

I think I understand the two hoses hooked together, now. After studying the pics in the ebay listing some more, I noticed two quick fittings on the front of the pump that I presume are for the angle cylinder hoses.

Evidently, this plow is designed to come off the truck while the motor and pump stay in place. Weird.

The only plow I have exerience with is my Western where everything but the mounting tabs comes off.

3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

the hoses are connected to keep crap out of the quick connect.
    that plow is in New Jersey.
    it will cost you almost as much for shipping to get it across the country to Alaska as it will to buy it.

you would be better off looking for a plow setup locally
  4. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member

See if You can get it onto Tru TV's Shipping Wars , that should make for a good show with those Jokers .
    Try to get the girl to win it , I want top see what animals she picks up on the side to make the load . LOL
  5. Butch Coolidge

from Alaska

I have lived in Alaska for close to 15 years. When I need something, I generally look locally first to support local economy. Trouble is, most locals and vendors act like it's still the 70s and 80s and they treat customers like they have no other options from which to make their purchases. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting raped anally (the worst kind) when I go into a local shop.

If I can buy something cheaper (or even slightly spendier) locally, I will. But most of the time I can find something of much better quality for a far better price even with shipping when shopping elsewhere. Vendors usually charge twice as much for an item that can be bought and shipped to me from the lower.

A plow in as good of condition as the one in the ad appears to be would easily sell for $4-5k here as is.

And you are a little off with your shipping estimate. There's no way it will cost more than a grand to ship it from NJ to AK. More like $500-$700.

So, $1800 for the plow + $700 for shipping = $2500. That leaves me with lots of wiggle room to find a truckside mounting system that will tie it all together and I'll still end up with a bargain that I could use for years and then sell for a profit locally.

I'll worry about the cost-effectiveness of the equipment. All I'm asking for is some technical advice.

6. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

From what I can see, this is what you are looking at:

These were kind of neat arrangements before the days of completely removable drive-up style removable plow/pump assemblies. My brother had one of these years ago. The idea is that plow itself has conventional A-frame mounts with pins that connect the A-frame to the lower frame that stays on the truck (year-round), just like the old style plows. You can faintly see where the A-frame connects to the lower truck frame mount in the picture (#4 in link above). During the winter, after a snow storm when you don't need the plow, you unhook the two A-frame pins at the truck mount, but the pump and the round tube frame assenbly and power wiring stay on the truck.

At the end of the season, you can remove the whole round tube frame assembly which includes the motor/pump and light assembly. The idea is that you remove the weight of the motor/pump assembly and frame from your truck to reduce the wear on your vehicle front end, and possible damage to the plow assembly in case you were to hit another vehicle, deer, moose (Alaska, right?). By removing the pump/light assembly and storing in a dry place, it keeps water out of the pump and basically preserves the pump and keeps your lights looking good too. Water is one of the main sources of pump wear and failure and a lot of that water enters in the summer. They were kind of versatile set-ups that came out a couple years before airbag sensor systems required complete removable systems like you see on today's new plows (to allow airbag systems to work properly). The other nice feature is you could also install a lighter weight push bar assembly (middle bar in link above) which you could leave as is, or attach a winch to, and use the existing power connectors for the plow pump motor. That might make sense for you if you hit the back road trails in Alaska. I actually like the design in that it has a lower trip edge style blade versus the whole moldboard flipping down, and a wide hinge design at the center of the plow that connects the plow to the A-frame. That wide hinge should provide good stability and reduced wear. It looks like the plow was repainted in the picture ...may have some dents, which happens with older plows. But it could be the lighting too.

It looks like everything you need is in the ebay image. You might try to adapt the existing mounting frame to your vehicle. I've adapted a few systems from one vehicle to another. Generally it's a day's work for a welding shop to do, to widen (or narrow) the mount to fit your truck's frame and weld in a few supporting brackets for strength. Probably cheaper than buying a new mount. But you can check if one is still avail from Meyer. As for the hydraulic lines, it's really common to connect the hose from one ram to the coupler of the other ram (which whould normally hook to the pump when you go to plow). Everyone does it, including me. Keeps crap out of the hydraulic system when the plow is unhooked. When you go to plow, you hook up your plow, then unhook the hydraulic lines (there are quick couplers) and plug the hose from the pump to the ram, and the ram hose to the pump. That might sound confusing, but it'll instantly make sense once you see it.

I don't see any red flags. You might have to sort through some of the headlight wiring to adapt to your truck, but that's par for the course when buying a used plow. Not too hard on the older models. Rams look pretty clean, you might want to ask if there is any pitting on the angle rams or leaks at the pump ram seal (easy fix if there is). Expect a few dings/dents on the moldboard. As for Diamond/Meyer, and who owns who, I'm not quite sure what the lineage there is. Best might be to call a local dealer and ask one of the parts guys.

Good luck,
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  7. Butch Coolidge

from Alaska

Thanks for the info. It will help me make my decsion.

The thing I'm struggling with now is deciding weather to spend up to $3k for a plow and do the installation on my truck.

I am leaning towards replacing my beat up bare bones truck altogether for something like this:

It's beat up too but not as much as mine is and the interior on that actually has some extras that mine lacks. Already talked the dealer down to $7500 and I could sell my current truck for $4000. Makes a little more sense really. If it turned out that I don't like that truck, I could swap the plow into mine which is basically identical and sell the truck.

I like the plow on that truck because it can apply down pressure. I've never used a plow like that but it seems like it could come in handy.

Thanks again for the useful info. I appreciate your advice and time.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  8. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

So the math is - New truck and plow 7500
    Minus old truck 4000
    Minus meyer plow 1800
    Minus shipping of plow 700+

Cost of truck with plow already attached $1000 and you can test drive it and NOT have to do any wiring or frame mounts.
  9. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Looks like it is bent... ask for a photo looking down the cutting edge...

I would look for a better dealThumbs Up
  10. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

No problem.

I'd buy the truck and combo deal. You'll spend at least a week goofing around to get the other Diamond plow fit and wiring figured out, not to mention what it'll take to fab up the mount. Plus you get a newer truck.