1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Artificial Athletic Field snow/ice removal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Greyhound, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Greyhound

Greyhound Junior Member

This last Nor'easter dumped this cement slurry that has now frozen into one large mass. At our facility, we are requested to remove this mass from an athletic field(artificial field) for a lacrosse scrimmage tomorrow. What is the best, efficient technique, if any, to perfrom this service? Can this be done without causing any damage with mechanical equipment or does this have to be done by hand? This is a football field and we have six guys. Any advise?
  2. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Can you scrape off all but the last inch, (Use a U-edge only), with perhaps some wheels or castors as plow shoes to help float the U-edge blade over the turf. Then use a liquid deicer on the remaining snow / ice?:confused:
  3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I wonder if you could use a blower on a tractors or skid steers and just keep them up a few inches from the turf, then melt the rest with deicer
  4. yeah maybe plow shoes? Just get down to where the surface is playable. It's funny, but we've played a lacrosse game in the snow. It sucked. Oh and it was freezing cold.
  5. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Not sure I would want to put any deicer on a plastic field.

Brushes and brooms are the norm are they not?

If not that then use a Zamboni. Should make the game more fun.
  6. Greyhound

Greyhound Junior Member

Thanks for all the suggestions... the powers to be in their infamous wisdom, decided to postpone the scrimmage. Gee, how hard was that:dizzy:

But to remove snow from an artificial field is not as easy as one may think. Not only do you have to use a blade with a rubber or PVC edge but you have to plow diagonally and in quadrants. Be very careful not to pull any of the carpet in the process. Think about it... it sucks.

This particular snow was/is a bear to move and I was looking for any other techniques someone else may have tried. Thanks to everyone that responded.:cool:
  7. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Or you could just postpone the game.

Oh wait never mind.
  8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

im not sure what it looks like, but if you use a rototiller on top it will break the snow up enough to clear it. We tried this technique and it worked awesome on all our sidewalks since they were frozen solid on top.
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I saw in Turf magazine about snow removal on artificial grass. They took a PVC pipe and cut a slice down the middle and put it over the cutting edge.So the PVC was on the turf.
  10. jeepherder

jeepherder Junior Member

Artificial turf snow removal.

There is new equipment just out for this problem specifically.
    You are rite about it not being an easy thing to do, especially without doing any damage.
    If the carpet gets ripped the repairs are expensive as heck.
    Take a look at Turfplow.com, safest, fastest equipment for this job!
    Good luck Greyhound!
  11. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking he took care of this close to 4 years ago.
  12. jeepherder

jeepherder Junior Member

Hey TCLA.
    Wow, time flies.
    However the problem remains current. People install synthetic fields and want to extend thier playing time into winter. Always an issue with athletic field people.
    Happy pushing.
  13. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Of course it is.

Not knowing anything about this I would imagine a broom attachment of some sort on a GREEN tractor would be the proper tool.
  14. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I checked out that turfplow.com site and there isn't one picture on there of what they're trying to sell :dizzy: It says "We custom design and build snowplow attachments to plow artificial turf safely"...okay let's see it!
  15. hardscaper

hardscaper Member
    from usa

turf plow

These guys have been making them for a few years

turf plow.jpg
  16. jeepherder

jeepherder Junior Member

Check out turfplow again. There is more info.
  17. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

Plowing artificial turf runs alot of risk. If you go against the seams they can tear. The best way to plow a turf field is continuously thoughout the storm with a plow mounted on a mule or a gator. Pick ups with a slotted pvc pipe dont work. It rides above the snow. Another way is to use a custom snow blower attachment with wheels about 3/4" off the playing surface. Once the majority of the snow is clear and with the rubber crumb in the field, any sunlight even in freezing temperatures will melt the rest.
  18. jeepherder

jeepherder Junior Member

Artificial Turf

Hey people!
    Check out "Turfplow in the morning" on you tube. Fastest safest way to remove snow from artificial turf fields.
    Keep pushin...
  19. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

So the fastest and safest way to remove snow from artificial turf is to use a Western Pro plow? Because that's all I see in that video :confused:
  20. jeepherder

jeepherder Junior Member

Artificial Turf

Look closely, @ approx. 33 sec. you can see it just under the blade. It is custom built to fit any blade.
    Check it out.

Turfully yours.