1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Artic Sectional Snow Plow.

Discussion in 'Arctic Sectional Sno-Pusher' started by Jon Geer, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Has anyone noticed wear of the shoes on the Sectional Plows to be sub par?

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

How many hours of plowing is that?
  3. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like a small pusher for that no?
  4. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

The pusher has about 60 hours on her.

14' Pusher on a WA-120 seems like a perfect fit. We had a 16' Protech Folder before. The blade wieght was to much.
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Ours have more then 100 hours on them and they are 20% max. Not sure but is the operator running the blade rolled back to far, also with the slip hitch you shouldn't have any pressure on the blade. Not trying to knock who ever was running it but there is a bit of a learning curve. I have a bent mouldboard that makes the the one section stick up sometimes, that makes me mad.
  6. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

We bought her in early December, we have about 10 trip (60 hours). I will speak with the operator. He has about 15 years experience in the seat and I was hoping he is not the issue. I have a new set of shoes on the way. I will fab up some in the meantime.
  7. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Mine are like that as well. Last season we had to fabricate a new set for one unit, but we have since gotten rid of that one. We can't figure out why it happens to one unit and not another one. Maybe operator?

We do have losts of wear on our cutting edges as well. But thats to be expected.

8. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I would just rebuild the shoes. Flat stock welded on has to be cheaper in the long run. One would think that the shoes would wear even seeing the arctics have very little down force being applied
  9. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

When my protechs wear like that I always put a bunch of weld on the bottom of them and it stops the poor wear. I use a reallty thick rod, and stick weld on it. I usually do around 15 10 inch lines and the problem is solved
  10. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

You can wear them faster than you would think.

If the operator isn't paying attention the to the slide float between the box and quick couple, he could be putting to much down force there and causing it to do this. (Prolly whats happening here)

Operator also need to keep the box as level as possible to keep this slide point free and not bound up. If its bound, it won't slide, causing excessive shoe wear. Slide needs to be able to move straight up and down, not at a foward or reverse angle.

My older Arctics had verry little play in the slide, but my brand new ones do. So they tend to level themselves better and keep the binding to a minimum.

Also I like the idea of hard facing the bottom of the shoes. it will make tham last longer.

The biggest problem I have with my Arctics is, teaching my operators how to properly operate one. I show them how, and they will do what I say as long as I am in the same place with them, I leave, and its whatever they want to do, however they want to do it.

11. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

It's probably a fair to expect the shoes to show wear as well. They are designed for ground engagement also. While I have not used these pushers it does seem that down pressure will have an effect on the wear parts for sure. I too would be inclined to apply hard facing to the bottoms of the shoes. The shoes still look like they have enough meat on them that you could build it back up (by burning some rod) enough to continue using them. When the new shoes arrive I recommend that you apply hardfacing to them. Keep an eye on them and when the hardfacing is almost gone you could add some more. I know it will be a bit of a PIA but it's better (and probably cheaper if you have your own welder) than buying shoes all the time. If you don't have your own welder you can "rotate" between (2) pairs. While one pair is in service you can take the other pair to a welder and have him do the hardfacing. Then they will be ready when the ones in service need attention. Obviously it will be easier to do this without unbolting the shoes (again, if you have your own welder). I hope it works out for you.
  12. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

On Second Thought

I was just reviewing the post and noticed something else that may be contributing to your excessive wear. Again, I don't own one of these so I request other Arctic owners chime in with an experienced opinion on my theory. In your picture I see that the shoes have oblong or slotted mounting holes. I also noticed that the bolts seem to be tight and the shoe stays in one position. From my perspective maybe these bolts should be loose enough to allow the shoes to move up and down through the travel of the slotted holes. If not than why are the holes slotted. If the sections float, than I don't see a reason to have adjustable height end plates.
  13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

i have been around these plows for 10 years and yeah there is a learning curve. there should be NO down force added. The weight on the wing's really should be to the weight of them selves. the two black bars that the rubber bolts to should remain about 90 degrees to the ground or sight forward. After that,you need to watch the slip hitch it should move freely too much or to Little curl will bind the hitch up. Once you set your angle forget moving the curl ,there is no need to kept changing it. JUST use your lift arm for stacking, its a added plus for using these boxes. your guy ( for 15 years,out of habit) is most likely change it every pass or so

the picture looks like he's pushing with it curled too much with added down pressure. that would also cause it to scrape poorly

can you get more pic of the set up you have ??

pat 143.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  14. kickin'a

kickin'a Member
    from Iowa

yes, operator error for sure, Your dealer shoould have sold you a HD model vs a LD model for that size of loader.
  15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Arctic does advertise them for 18000 lbs and under. I have to LD's and I wish they were HD's.
  16. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Yes that pusher looks TINY
  17. AOS

AOS Junior Member

18. pusherpro

pusherpro Sponsor

And don't run these plows in float mode. The videos coming.
  19. Secplowpro

Secplowpro Junior Member

Yah, ive heard of people complaining about the premature wear on the shoes and edges. Guys, its not the plow. its simply your operators. they are digging the plows into the ground. I have over 500 hours plowing with these fenomenal plows and I have not once broken a poly block or the plow for that matter. All you should tell your operators to do is that when they lower the plow to the ground, dont put the arms of the machine all the way down(just a tad bit left before they go all the way down), and put just the slightest amount of down pressure on with the bucket hydros. Also, if you see them with the tires of the machine off the ground, you gotta make sure they stop that ASAP.

Oh and just to be that guy, i have a record to be beaten for all of you... I plowed an entire shopping complex that includes a best buy, a super target, a dicks sporting goods, 10 other small out letters, and 10 other stores. Its in tinley IL and its called Brookside Market plaza. Account has over several thousand spaces altogether. I plowed the whole thing in 2 hours with a Volvo L-90 C and a 16ft sectional Snow plow. Stacked and all on a 6inch snow fall. Good thing we werent getting paid for hourly that night!

Sec plow user
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Wow you must be a plow god to plow roughly 30 acres in 2 hours in a 6" snow storm and have never broken anything in 500 hours of plowing.