1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Artic maintenance costs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mike ward, Dec 8, 2014.

1. mike ward

mike ward Member

The cost to maintain the Artic boxes seems to rising quickly. I'm sure the amount we used them last year is part of the issue. The latest issue is the trip springs. Apparently the springs have been redesigned and you have to replace the spring, bushing, and the shaft for the middle springs. This along with the feet wearing off is a lot of dollars per machine. I'm looking for cost effective ways of doing this required maintenance.

Thanks,

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

3. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Become a dealer, use your new inventory for a year or 2, then sell that used inventory to your competitors at your new inventory's cost, let them fix your wear items, and all is good. Don't even have to pay sales tax this way.

4. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

My buddy wanted to look into them I told him our protechs do a good job 90% of the time without issues. He likes their demo video. I said more parts more problems more money

5. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Until you run one. They are worth it. Have 5 hds.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

There are a few others without the limitations and training requirements and maintenance parts and............

7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I'd give a good pile of money to have our LD10's back for the skid steers...the Boss boxes are tough, but they don't come close in scraping. The salt savings alone is worth it.

With that said, I'll be taking a hard look at the Liveboxx before committing to more Arctics...

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Hey Mike, how old is the pusher?

9. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

...........Careful....We don't want to get Olddog all Riled up.....The Artic Slappy that he is.....:nod:

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Ruff, Ruff....lol

11. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

I had a arctic and sold it to buy a kage. That was the worst snow move ever. I sold the Kage and found another arctic. The next time I sell this arctic is when I get out of the business. The only time ive noticed arctics costing money in shoe replacement is when you get the machine going in high speed for a long run. Otherwise. Those shoes will go a few seasons.....

12. mike ward

mike ward Member

I have some units that are 6-7 yrs old and others from last year. The older units all have springs that are no longer sprung or have broke. We love the way they work but am trying to find a way to maintain them for less than $1000 each!