1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Arrrrrggggg!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by zippy1, Feb 19, 2007.

1. zippy1

zippy1 Junior Member

Well I finally broke off my drivers side mirror. I have 2000 Super Duty with those big tow mirrors. I was plowing a residential drive and was paying close attention to both cars in the driveway and the cars in the road. I saw the big blue garbage can in my way at the end of the driveway. I was backing up and was turning to avoid hitting one of there cars and clipped the garbage can with my mirror. The garbage can was frozen in placew and ripped my mirror right off. $300 repair. Well lets just say I plowed for free that day for all of my customers because the money went to a new mirror. I was so pissed with myself and at the fact this guys driveway was like boobie trap nightmare.

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i hear ya brother... my 2000 is all glued together. the newer foldable ones are much nicer. i've been plowing with my skidloader for free this season. one of the drive motors went out last week and today i got the estimate for a new one installed $4000.

3. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Yea them wheel motors aren't cheap, I was at the cat dealer one day lookin at skids and the guy told me if I bought 4 wheel motors he would give me a skid lol. Thoes mirrors aren't cheap either, I had to replace one and it was like 250 I think and im sure the 03 and newer with the marker light are even worse.

4. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Not to be critical, but you make $300 profit in one day?? We sand one project in 1/2 hr and make $290 profit.

Your business model is completely out of whack. A person should make at least 1 grand a day profit, minimum, otherwise finding a paid job should be a top priority??:dizzy:

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

We're all happy that you can get $350 for sanding for 1/2 hour.

I know around my area, there's nothing that'll pay that.

I guess I don't understand how guys can tell others what they should be making, when you're not in the same market.

For that $290 profit, you'd have to sand a Wal-Mart sized lot in 1/2 hour, and there's only 5 of those within 20 miles of me.

No bank or gas station is going to pay me $300 to salt their parking lot. My lots don't even have me salt, except for 2 of the banks I do. No sidewalks, no parking areas, nothing. Won't pay for it.

6. LwnmwrMan22

We're all happy that you can get $350 for sanding for 1/2 hour.

I know around my area, there's nothing that'll pay that.

I guess I don't understand how guys can tell others what they should be making, when you're not in the same market.

For that $290 profit, you'd have to sand a Wal-Mart sized lot in 1/2 hour, and there's only 5 of those within 20 miles of me.

No bank or gas station is going to pay me $300 to salt their parking lot. My lots don't even have me salt, except for 2 of the banks I do. No sidewalks, no parking areas, nothing. Won't pay for it.

Driving around and looking at other properties now for the last 12 years, I'd say about 10% of the commercial properties in this area get salted.

Plus you have no idea how many accounts the guy does, or if he's even full time / part time......

I just don't understand.

7. LwnmwrMan22

If you haven't fixed it yet, and it's somewhat usable,watch eBay...

8. zippy1

zippy1 Junior Member

lwnmwrman22, you hit it right on the head. My market sucks for residential jobs. Where one market will support $25-$45 for a driveway my market will yeild $15-$20 for that same property. I would love to be in the area's where guys are pulling down $300 for sanding a small lot or making $1000.00 for a days worth of plowing. Seasonal contracts go for $225 in my area. And I live in Oswego county where we have seen 11ft. of snow in the past two weeks. We can't even charge more for snow over 6". You get paid the same for 4" or 2ft. By the way I did pick up a mirror on ebay the other day. Thanks for the support:nod:

9. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

If that's all I could make per season in New York ,I would move. We are lucky to get 3 events a year and I make that to salt just 1 time for 1 customer. Talk about saturation.

10. edinning

edinning Junior Member

It must be nice to make all that for salting. After 13hrs pushing I am lucky to make 600 profit after all costs.

11. LwnmwrMan22

Where I'm at, residential contracts go for about $250-300 for the season, or most guys do the "$150 to get on the list, and $20 / push" deal for a season.

I've got one seasonal account, a bank president, where I get $450 from them for the year, 3 car garage, 75' driveway.

My commercial accounts, banks, gas stations, fast food parking lots, stuff that's got about 20-30 parking spots, I can get them up to $300-400 / month, no salt, just plow on a contract rate.

However, I'm still fighting with the "we've got other bids that'll do it for $50 / time" situation as well.

Yes, there's places in the country that will insist on every little snowflake be salted, even here, Target, Wal-Mart, the bigger stores, but like I said, 90% of the properties don't get salted. Even up until about 3 years ago, the commercial accounts were still all at 2-3" triggers. If you tried to plow at 1.5", you'd have to fight to get paid.

I'm only 30 miles north of St. Paul, MN.

12. Jay brown

different areas of the country or crazy compaired to here.... if one of our customers had 2-3 inches sitting on their lot they would be raising hell with me. Who would't want 2-3 inches plowed off? we'll plow 1/4" of snow off of some of our lots and apts and they love us. they think it's great that they get such good service. burger king just had a "slip and fall incident" and i'm glad we plowed the lot. as for only making $300 per snow, i feel for you brother, i'd get a job a burger king making biggie whopers. what's going to happen when you shell a $4000 drive motor like i did last week? that's why we ALL diserve to make the big bucks... especially us ROOFERS and landscapers, because backs and skin cancer cost way more than any truck or skidloader part.

13. Jay brown

i couldn't agree more......the cost of running a business is too high not to. also note... please charge all doctors and laywers at least double what they charge you per hour.

14. Jay brown

there is a local contractor here that makes $1500 per 8' spreader load of salt at the Kawaski plant.

15. edinning

edinning Junior Member

How many trucks are you running to make the 1k per day profit?
    To make 1k pure profit you need to make over $50 per hr and push for 24hr non stop. Than take tax,fuel,Ins,operating costs and you would have to bill close to $80 per hr.
    Other than drugs it is hard to make 1k pure profit per 24hr day per truck. 2 inches is when I start to push less than 2, I don't get paid.

16. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

I was plowing the bank drive through, which by the way really sucks because it's all I can do to get my plow through there. I don't know why they make them so wide. Anyway I got on a little ice and slid sideways. Whoops, there went a drivers mirror and about a three foot gouge down the side of the truck! At least I was lucky enough to damage both doors not just one. I love my trailer towing, fold up and out, power adjustment, heated mirrors! Except when I crunch one! There's a grand out the proverbial window.

17. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Well the trick here is we don't see that many trucks. It's mostly bobcats doing the parking lots and I'm SO GRATEFUL there are no trucks!!! Sure they are faster, but in the end the whole market sinks with prices hitting rock bottom. We run the bobcats nice and steady, not too fast and it's easy to make a good living. If we get some good ice buildup from warm spells I'll charge out over a grand in one 6 hour shift with 2 helpers. I do tend to have mostly commercial/condos with no, repeat NO residential. Residentials are cheap, low paying son of a bit##es. In november of 2006, with one of my bobcats, we pulled in enough to pay the machine in 18 or so days. I believe trucks with blades are just like the z's in lawncare, fast and making it easier for the customers to say " geez that was fast, I'm paying you less....:nod:

18. LwnmwrMan22

If you're talking about the stock heated, power, electric trailer tow mirrors from Dodge, you can get those on eBay for about $400.....

19. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

Not to blow my own horn, but last (and first off the season) storm, I worked for 18 hour of that I plowed for 13 or so and I billed for almost $2900.-. That is without sand and with 1 truck. I do think I'm in a great area for plowing, there is allot of city people around with good money (I'm in Orange County, NY), But I don't think I over charge people...

20. LwnmwrMan22

You say you worked for 18 hours, but plowed for 13.

IF you take the 18 hours (since you say you worked that), that's a little more than $150 / hour for your truck, which I would think is in line for New York, where you are.

IF you lived where I am, where the same house that I look at on New York websites is 1/2 the cost, then $150 / hour looks even better, or $100 / hour would be comparable.

I realize this is just a small comparison, since truck / equipment prices are usually close, but there's other factors that DO play into a zone's pricing.