1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ariens vs. JD (snowblowers)

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by RedneckPlowGuy, Nov 18, 2009.

1. RedneckPlowGuy

RedneckPlowGuy Senior Member

Hey everyone...my old MTD 8/26 is getting old, tired and just plain crappy. I'm somewhat in the market for a good quality snow blower, not that MTD crap i have now.

Ive looked around and decided between Ariens and JD. Here's the blowers im looking into under each name

John Deere

Ive watched some youtube vids on each, and both brands SEEM to be very in line with one another. I guess now it basically comes down to what you guys have used and if both, which you prefer and why. Basically, id like to know pros/cons of both, assuming you guys have used either of the 2 brands, and any of the 4 models i have listed.

Thanks guys and let me know!
  2. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

i am a ariens guy, and have been since i was able to run a blower, never have let me know
  3. RedneckPlowGuy

never have let you what?
  4. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

sorry about that never had let me down, just belts, shear pins, and spark plugs
    I have a 1996 Ariens ST824 (8 hp, 24 inch cut)
    must have atleast 500 hours a season maybe more

Search for my posts and I post a long discussion on to be careful if buying one at a box store like Home Depot versus a garden equipment or a power equipment store, there is a difference, and the same would go for the John Deere's as well. Long and short the ones at the box stores are not the same quoality, and use lessor materials, hence why you can buy a large machine for so cheap, but what appears to be the same machine in a garden store is a lot more because it made to be beat on, not for a homeowner that is going to use it a couple times a year.
  5. dchr

dchr Senior Member

I have an older model John Deere blower (probaly late 90's),motor,auger and impeller are excellent. The discharge chute design does leave something to be desired-I have gone through a couple of the worm gears and rings at the base of the chute-not sure if they have updated/improved them since but mine are made of plastic that wears quickly:cry:
    Also the cable that controls the deflector at the top of the discharge chute likes to freeze no matter what I lube it with-even if I don't lube it it still freezes. But it has lasted me this long and have moved a lot of snow with it-just some food for thought-hope this helps.
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

JD blowers are made by Ariens. Also have you tried the single stage Toro's? We havn't even touched our 2 stage blower since we got them.
  7. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

You're just a cornucopia full of uncommon knowledge.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

I to haven't used the 2 stage blower much since I got the Toro single stage power curve (16") Yes the blower looks like a toy in comparison but will clean right down to the concrete or asphalt. Slush is no problem and love the speed of the unit. Have used mine since 2002 and abused it to no end. The Toro would be my pick too.
  9. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

LOL, voted best line of the day!

Im in favour of the Ariens blowers, get the pro models for the cast iron gear case.
  10. RedneckPlowGuy

theyre both made by Ariens? Might explain why i think they look so similar/in line with each other LOL!
  11. DBM

DBM Junior Member

Which dealer is going to give you the best service? If the difference is only a few dollars go with the best dealer support.
  12. RedneckPlowGuy

same dealer sells both. Also heard new JD blowers are green Murrays. Anyone confirm this?
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I went to the JD dealer and they don't even sell JD blowers because they are crap now. They took on the Ariens line to fill the void along with Toro. If the JD dealer says the JD blowers are no good, I wouldn't buy one. He said Ariens stopped making them around 6 years ago. So in short buy the Ariens.
  14. RedneckPlowGuy

thats what i was kinda starting to get the nudge of after reading JD blowers are murrays painted green/yellow!
  15. sanitaire

sanitaire Junior Member

honda on tracks....lots of money...OHV commerical motor and hydrostatic transmishion is nice....
  16. briggsguy17

briggsguy17 Member
    from NW PA

As you can tell by my username I have experience in the Outdoor Power Equipment arena. I owned and operated a Simplicity dealership for ten years (sold it 4 years ago). John Deere does not make nor have they ever made their own snowblowers, they simply rebadge another brand. It is my opinion that the Simplicity line of commercial blowers is the best you can get. If you have a Simplicity dealer in your area give them a try. BTW, Simplicity is owned by Briggs and Stratton so you are going to get a Briggs snow engine on these units. If no Simplicity dealer I would certainly go with the Ariens. They have "owned" the snow market for many years. I would stay away from any machine that does not have a Briggs, Kohler or Honda engine. There are machines out there now that have "made in China" engines and you will have a hard time getting parts and/or service for them. the engines are on MTD and Husqvarna products mainly. Hope this helps.
  17. RedneckPlowGuy

thanks, im leaning towards Ariens, no Simp. dealer here
  18. Nestech

Nestech Senior Member

The current John Deere Models ARE THE SAME AS SIMPLICITY!, Built in the same factory. Look at them side by side and you will see.
  19. topdj

topdj Senior Member

has anyone noticed the cast iron gearbox on the larger JD blowers its even braced to the top of machine.
  20. nbannan

nbannan Member

1971 Ariens still tosses wet snow great!

I am still running the same Ariens I used with my brother as a kid to clean driveways.
    It has a Techumseh 7HP with the plug-in electric. I lube augers & gearboxon it every year & change the oil. Have snapped a few shear pins here & there & had one flat tire.
    Still starts within 2 pulls without the electric. Not sure if the newer units are as good but I know what I'd buy again if I had to! Always run stabil in the gas & fire it up year round about once a month to keep it turning.