1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ariens ST824 sprays gas out muffler

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by senecal1980, Feb 11, 2015.

1. senecal1980

senecal1980 Junior Member
    from 01331

I have an old Ariens ST824 with an HM80 Tecumseh engine. It would not start up this year. I have replaced the entire carburetor with a brand new one, changed the plug, drained the gas and replaced with new gas. When I try to start it with the electric start I get gas spraying out of the muffler. Does anyone have any idea what I should take a look at next to get this thing running? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Does it have spark? What's the compression?

3. senecal1980

from 01331

Just checked, it has ZERO spark. Good compression.

4. dieselss

Need spark. Shut off system, coil,.

5. senecal1980

from 01331

Do you mean to turn the key off or replace it? Replace the coil too?

6. dieselss

No. Meaning it's either in the ignition circuit, or coil, or airing gap, or flywheel

7. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Take off the covers to get down to the coil. Remove small wire that goes to the Key or Switch. Put it back together with this wire off. See if it has spark. If yes it should run. You can choke it to stop it from running. Now you need to find the short in the wire or switch.

8. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

If it still has no spark - is the flywheel rusty on the magnets? If so clean off the rust and rest the air gap.

9. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

how old is it? it may have points - in which case it could be a cleaing/adjustment, or maybe a replacement.

10. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

oh, and condensor should be replaced too if points are replaced.... should be under $20 for both if you need them.

11. senecal1980

from 01331

Just wanted to update this thread and thank everyone for the advice. I got it running. My older engine had the ignition coil and everything else behind the fly wheel. After I got the fly wheel off I figured I would just replace everything. Coil, condenser, points and since I was in there the fuel line. Sparked right up and started right up. As for cost, the new carburetor I installed first was $97. Turns out that probably wasn't contributing to the non-starting, but I've had problems with it for years so I kept it. New ignition coil was $32, points were $12 and condenser was $5. About $150 all together to get it up and running again. Better than $1000 for a new one.

12. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

$2000 for a good pro one!....