1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ariens ST824 impeller pully hub removal???

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by additudeguy, Sep 29, 2010.

1. additudeguy

additudeguy Junior Member

Looking for any input or advice....

I have an Ariens ST824 Model # 924050
    and I am attempting to replace the impeller radial bearing I split the auger assembly from the main drive housing, removed the impeller pulley and the 2 set screws in the hub but can not get the hub off the shaft....

I`ve heated the hub with oxy-acetylene, used a pitman arm puller, 3 finger slide hammer, wd40, can of fluid film, sanded the outside exposed edge of the impeller shaft...

this thing will not even budge....

before I heat it to an orange glow and then drive a ball joint fork between the bearing retainer and the hub... anyone have any luck removing the hub from the shaft another way???

I think the key way grove is rusted on the inside where I cant get to it.... but thats just my opinion

any help would be greatly appreciated...

2. aphico

aphico Junior Member
    from pgh

i just did mine yesterday, I used a cheap three jaw puller and a deep well soccket on the shaft. it was a pain. but once it starts it will go. you can get a puller from advanced for about 12.00. I would put the nuts back on the bolts and tap them out, It gives the puller a nice flat spot to grab.