1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ariens st 1236 purchase advise

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by pdk9, Feb 4, 2011.

1. pdk9

pdk9 Junior Member

I am looking at a used Ariens ST 1236 for $650. The machine has about 5hrs use on it and looks brand new even though it is at least 10yrs old. The motor has good compression and there are no signs of any abuse let alone very little use on it. Is this a fair price?

2. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Based on craigslist pricing of 30 year old rusty ST824's for $250, I'd say a nice 1236 for $650 is a good price. Offer $6 bills cash and if he doesn't bite, hand him the extra $50.

3. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

What my dad always said to do was.......Say "I've got 600$ cash, will that work?"..........................
    "or I could write you a check for 650$, if you'd like"

Lots of people don't like checks......sometimes they will bite!

4. The Groove

The Groove Junior Member
    from Milford

checks

I just sold a snow plow to a guy and he tried that on me. He said I'll give you $1,400 cash
    or a check for $1,600. I said I'm not taking checks, then I knew he could pay the 1,600
    so I didn't go down on my price. Nowadays who's going to take a check from a stranger. I still have a brand new meyer frame mount for 98 and up Ford Ranger that the guy didn't need.

5. mayhem

from Peru MA

Well its pretty foolish to offer discounted cash or offer to pya full price by check...why would you ever do that? Walk in with the max cash you're willing to pay, offer a bit less than that to see if the seller will deal and if they don't, make your max cash offer adn be ready to walk away with no hard feelings.

6. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

I can't believe how foolish saving money can be.........either way may work. If the seller is firm he won't care what method you try.

7. mayhem

from Peru MA

You misunderstand. I'm not saying don't try to save money...I'm saying why would you even offer to write a check after you offer the seller cash? I don't see the logic.