1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ariens snowblower oil question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by just plow it, Dec 21, 2008.

1. just plow it

just plow it Senior Member

I just bought a Ariens 6hp 4 stroke blower 10 days ago and only used it twice yet and went to start it up today and it ran good for about 30 seconds and then the motor seized up today, I then called Home Depot and they had me bring it in for an exchange so I now have another new one but I don't want to burn this one up any time soon. My question is it was -12F this morning and I keep it in back of my truck outside, Would the oil be to thick for the motor that it would have burnt it up that quick. It's the oil that came with the machine and it seems to be thin. Any answers would be helpful , thanks Keith

2. keitha

keitha Senior Member

oil

Shouldn't have let loose in a few hours.
    Should be 5w-30 no telling what actually was put in it.:dizzy:
    Once started throttle down and let it warm up.
    They make a 0w-30 oil for very cold apps.
    S.A.E. 0W-30 should only be used when ambient temperature is below 0F, -18C
    You can run the dino oil for few hours to break in then
    switch to full synthetic.
    Also maybe let it idle on back between jobs?

Keith

3. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

I bought an Ariens from home depot as well. I've only used it for a few hours but I've had no problems. I try to let it warm up for a couple of minutes before I crank up the "R's" and also let it run for a couple of minutes at idle after I'm done using it to let it slowly cool down before I shut it off. So far I've had no troubles.

4. santaclause

santaclause Member

i RUN FULL SYNTHTIC IN MY BLOWERS AND LAWN MOWERS MY BLOWER IS GARAGE KEPT BUT SEEMS TO PULL OVER EASIER IT IS A 13HP TORO

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I also just bought an Ariens last week and it's given me fits since the moment I unloaded it.

If it didn't have electric start I don't think I could get it to run because I wouldn't be able to pull it over 200 times. Once I get it going I just let it run the entire time I'm going from account to account because there's no chance I'd get it restarted if I'd let it get cold.

Tonight when I was unloading it I noticed it leaking oil :dizzy: I was planning on taking it back tomorrow anyway but now I don't think I want a replacement, I just want my money back.