1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ariens Question???

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Fresh350, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Fresh350

Fresh350 Junior Member
    from CT

Hey guys,

I have an Ariens Pro 1028, its probably about 6 years old runs great and I really like using it especially on those drives that are too small for my truck to plow.

Recently I noticed that the wheels wouldn't turn when in gear and engaged. I replaced the transmission belt and that definitely seemed to help. However after using today on a few driveways that same thing happened again. If I lift up the rear wheels and engage the drive the wheels will spin but when I put it back on the ground nothing happens. Eventually it will engage and drive. Anyone experience this? Any ideas on what it may be and how to fix?

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I would start looking for a broken sheer pin.

3. Fresh350

Fresh350 Junior Member
    from CT

The sheer pins are in the auger blades, trust me I have replaced my fair share of pins on this machine lol.

What Im reffering to is the actual wheels (tires) that drive this machine. Unless there are sheers in there too?

4. kimber750

It should have some type of sheer pin on the wheels also. Without a part diagram I couldn't begin to tell you where to to start looking. Most have some type of pin where the drive gear is mounted onto the axle, also some have pins out at the wheels themselves.

5. Fresh350

Fresh350 Junior Member
    from CT

Sorry I dont know why that posted twice.

Thanks I will check this out tomorrow.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  6. kimber750

7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Did you adjust the idler pulley on the drive belt? My old 824 was a snow throwin' beast, except that the thing wouldn't push worth a damn...the wheels would just stop spinning when the snow got heavy.

Replaced the best and it got better (like you), but what it really needed was the idler pullet had to be tightened.

Take the cover back off the drive section and (with the thing off), pull the drive handle so its in the operating position and the belt tightens up. How much deflection do you have on the belt on the longest open side? Should be like an old fashioned car fan belt, about a half inch I think. Tighten it up and see how it does.

I'd say the problem was the old belt was stretched for wear, the new belt is a bit shorter because its new so it getting a better grip on the pulleys, but until you adjust the idler pulley to factory specs, you're not gong to go anywhere.

This video is on a Craftsman, but the process is basically the exact same on my Ariens, probably yours too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1gRG3-QZ9c

8. Fresh350

Fresh350 Junior Member
    from CT

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help. Went to the shop today where I originally got the blower years ago. Turns out it was the friction disc. I knew it wasn't the Tranny belt because I just replaced it and cannot be tightened because it is under constant pressure by help of a spring which did not seem faulty.

The friction disc on the other hand was worn down pretty badly, no crown left on the rubber at all. This seems to have fixed the problem but I guess I will know for sure after using it on some driveways.

Thanks again for the input!