1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ARIENS or TORO?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by AnthonyL88, Oct 28, 2003.

1. AnthonyL88

AnthonyL88 Junior Member
    from NY

I'm thinking of buying a snowblower next month and can't decide which brand to buy. I've been looking at the Ariens 724E, Ariens 8524DLE or Toro Power Max 726TE, Power Max 826LE. Which brand is better, Ariens or Toro? Which brand is more reliable and doesn't break down?

2. GpGuy84

GpGuy84 Member

I would have to recomend the Ariens 8524. i got an 824 about 4 years ago, it starts on the first pull and it runs great. Not to mention it clear circles around all of my neighbors machines!!:drinkup:

3. AnthonyL88

AnthonyL88 Junior Member
    from NY

What's the good and bad in having either an electric or recoil? Should I buy an electric or recoil?

4. GpGuy84

GpGuy84 Member

do you mean electric as in key and battery? or the kind you plug in to start? i have the kind you plug in, and obviously recoil too. the electric (plug in) is nice to have if its real cold where you store it. mine is garaged so its never much below 45 degrees, so usually i pull start it.

5. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Ariens for us, all the way....

6. I just baought a ariens single stage... 522e
    I compared them all. The ariens has the best paddles....
    And some small features that the others didnt have... for example. nice wide fill for gas........
    Not sure if its the single stage you were looking at also.
    mike:jester:

7. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Unless you are an elderly user or have some type of Heart/Hernia condition the Electric start really is useless. Recoil starts on these new machines are so simple that the machine usually starts in one or two pulls.

So my advice would be to not bother wasting the extra money on an electric start model unless you absolutely need it.

Jay

8. PR Fect

PR Fect Member

Ariens is located near my home here in NE Wisconsin. So is Tecumeh. In my opinion you have narrowed it down to the best two, Toro and Ariens. Ariens makes a much better snow thrower than they do lawn mowers. Toro is always been known for their quality. No one I know around here will by a Techumeh Engine if they have a choice. Well maybe the guys who work there will but I don't think so. If you were going for the single stage, I would say get the Toro. It has Toros own engine. But I would buy the Ariens if you need a two stage. And make sure it has a Brigs.

9. CarlosT

CarlosT Junior Member
    from PA

After many posts here and here

----------------------------------------------------------------
    I think that I'm going for the Ariens 722EC single-stage. Dollar for dollar the Ariens singles are a better value than Toros even with the dreaded-by-some Tecumseh 2-cycle engine (I know...the Toro Duraforce motor is excellent). The 722EC is $549 with electric start vs $699 for the equivalent Toro. The auger has a lifetime warranty and the unit looks like it's put together right. My Ariens dealer is just as close as my Toro dealer who's really a hardware store that happens to sell and service Toros.

I was gonna go with the Ariens 724E but the 10" impeller seems to slow it down according to one owner. The 724E is a compact and weighs like 170 lbs vs 240 lbs for most 24" two-stages and certainly a good value at $869. For sidewalks and the lighter snows we get around Philly though, I think that the single-stage will do and will prolly cut through little snows quicker and more handily than the 724E two-stage.

10. AnthonyL88

AnthonyL88 Junior Member
    from NY

Thanks for all the info, this will be my first snowblower I'm buying for myself and I need all the info I can get to help me make my choice. What's the difference between a Pin Lock and Differential Lock-Out for Traction Control?

11. CarlosT

CarlosT Junior Member
    from PA

With a pin lock, you pull out a pin from one wheel and that wheel is freewheeling so that turning is easier. The downside is that you also lose traction with that wheel. Depending on snow accumulation or angle, this could be a problem...most times it's not.

The differential lock can often be disabled remotely like on the higher end Toros and Simplicitys and Ariens so it's a lot more convenient and clean. This is usually part of more expensive two-stage units. The low-end units that you're looking at will most likely not have this feature.

12. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I have Ariens and they are pretty good. I now condidering Simplicity, when I replace them. I like there handle bar set up better, cuz the guys keep cracking handle bars where it meets frame of machine on my Ariens and the Simplicity looks a lot beefier in that area.

13. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

The differential kit on the big Toro 2 Stages is difficult to disengage, very flimsily made (I had to re drill & replace the pin after only 10hrs use) & does not make these bulky units much more maneuverable.

If you have to flip the unit around allot go w/ a light MTD brand 2 stage or a hydro unit w/blower.

14. PR Fect

PR Fect Member

Between Snowplowjay and Toby's comments.....I'm not looking forward to winter again. This is the wife here...P.R.'s wife, but it could be any wife. Read on.
    I will have to be doing this myself in the very early am's when he's at work. I need a machine that will WORK! I'm 110 and 5'6 and not a whole lot of that is muscle. I do understand machinery as I worked Chevy parts (dealerships) for 20 plus years. I understand the lock pin set up on the wheel, and the differences between the single-stage and the two-stage differentials.
    I just want a machine that I can:
    1. depend on starting (with or without a hernia/heart condition).
    2. rely upon so I don't have to call the old man to come "help my poor soul".
    3. QUALITY, QUALITY, so there's not a whole lot of trips to replace stuff. I really don't like buying something and having it break right when you need it...especially in winter. My Harley is not without exception. 8>)
    What's a girl to do? Any guys out there with wives that help?What do you get them?
    Sincere thanks and please reply,
    Dixie

15. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

My mother runs both our Toro CCR's with no problems.

Very easy to operate and they are lightweight smooth running machines.

Jay

16. PR Fect

PR Fect Member

Ahhh, the power curve.
    So tell me which. The 2450 or the 3650?
    And do the augers hold their composition over time?
    And while we're at it...thanks for the reply.8)

17. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I have a CCR 3650 which I bought last year and a CCR 2200 which is quite a few years old. The old one is a 4.5 hp and the new one is a 6.5 HP.

They both have a good amount of power and aren't afraid to be worked hard. Ive never had a problem with the auger on the old one. The only maintenance ive ever done on them was to replace a worn out recoil cord on the old one last season.

Jay

18. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The honda 520 is also a very good machine.
    Dino

19. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

What Dino said

Love my honda 520
    Mark

20. PR Fect

PR Fect Member

Plowking and HandyHaver -
    Just curious on the age of the 520's? How they hold up over time?
    HP? Sounds like you both like them a lot.