1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ariens 722 single stage anyone?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NickL, Nov 29, 2006.

1. NickL

NickL Junior Member
    from CT

Does anyone use one, will they go through 10-12" of light to medium snow? I was originally going to buy 2 toro 3650's but after doing some research it seems like toro built these things on a budget. The R tek engine is a briggs (some of which are great motors) if you look it up on their parts finder, with a plastic carburetor and a cork float, what a joke, and the wheels are held on by a plastic push nut, no threads no snapring no cotter pin. The ariens seems to be more well built (and also 7 pounds heavier, which could make or break you by the end of the night, but not to concerned) but I need a couple people to vouch for them. The majority of users with the toro swear by them but I have also heard a fair share of not so great things.
    I considered the honda 520 but would rather have a 2 stroke with no valves and no oil to change/keep an eye on, and also had a problem with the same 5hp ohc engine on a pressure washer from HD. So what does everyone think about the ariens 722.
  2. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Id never buy anything but the Toro. Many here feel the same way as well.
  3. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I'd buy the Toro over an Ariens. Ariens products have gone down in quality over the last 6 years or so.

Look at some key factors:

How hard is it to change the rubbers on the auger and scraper bar?

How many screws required to get at the carburetor?

The R Tek and Tecumseh engines are easliy matched. Parts and service are easier with the Toro. You don't need 6.5 or 7hp. 4.5 or 5 hp are grossly overpowered.

my $0.02
  4. NickL

NickL Junior Member
    from CT

I went to look at the ariens, honda and toro today and I have to say the ariens looks like its built the best. I may actually end up buying two toro ccr2000 used if I can find them. So thats it nobody uses the Ariens? Any more feedback would be appreciated, Thanks again.
  5. LLM Ann Arbor

Youll never find used Toros for sale.

Why do you think that is.
  6. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

My family has owned two ariens snowblowers, we had a 724 for about 20 years and just gave it to my cousin because we bought a newer, bigger one. We never had any problems with the old one, and it still runs like a gem. One of my dads friends has the small toro model, as did my grandmother, and neither ever had any problems, and they seemed to clear the snow fine. I really think you cant go wrong with either machine. Good luck, and im sure youll be able to find a used one if you look hard enough.
  7. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

I use tha Ariens. Main reason, the paddle has a lifetime warranty. Gets worn, the dealer gives me a new one free. Easy to change
  8. jnamo

jnamo Junior Member

I have never run anything but Toro. No need to try anything else. Good luck on your decision. Jeff
  9. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Got 2 ariens with 7hp engine. One of my workers suggested it, so I got ariens and I also got the Toro 6.5 paddle blower. We'll see which one lasts longer. So far, in -25 celsius weather, one of the ariens froze and wasn't working proper. So far, it's one nothing for Toro...:p
  10. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I got 2 that are a pain in the butt. Toros suck snow in the carb and you end up with water in the carb bowl that turns to ice.
  11. LLM Ann Arbor

Well I dont know. Maybe you have a part missing? Air cleaner cover? :shrugs:

I dunno if they even have an air cleaner. Ive had toros all my life and never been inside the case to even see what goes on in there to be honest. Never had too.

First pull....vroom... snow be gone.