1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ariens 520 2 stage blower...any good??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MOWBIZZ, Feb 6, 2008.

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

There's a pawn shop nearby that has a brand new Ariens 520 2 stage snowblower...I'm looking for one to leave up north at the lake to do the huge deck...anyone have any comments about this particular machine??
    It is a single forward speed which doesn't matter as when I'm up there I'm in no hurry...just don't want to shovel 3 feet of snow off that huge deck.
    I suspect I'll "break up" the snow with a shovel then blow that section seeing as how the snow is in several layers, but I'll have to carry the machine through the house to get to the deck as there's no access from the sides of the house. Thus the need for a light machine...any feed back would be great....:rolleyes:

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

bumpity bumpity bump ^^^

anyone??? bueller???
  3. greg8872

greg8872 Member

If they are built any where as good as the bigger 824E which I bought last year, it will be a great machine. I just posted in another thread about how well balanced the machine is. I was amazed after getting it how for pretty much same machine specs (including same exact engine), you get a completely different experience over a Yard Machines unit this replaced, especially in throwing the snow.

I live on a busy street, so the apron of my driveway gets the salt in slush from the city plows.I used to have to purposely blow "clean snow" onto my apron as I was approaching it so it could mix with the slushy snow in order for the YM to throw it.

Last night was in the slush, no snow, and while it couldn't throw it more than a few feet, it was enough to throw it off to the side. Great machines, almost didn't buy it becasue it was a little more than buying another Yard Machines from local Home Depot. Glad someone recommended it to me!

4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

It's a good machine but not for doing anything deep. Nice for walks and the deck if you did it wihen 6" fell. How much they want for it?