1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Argument With Radio Dj In Buffalo Ny

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PetalsandPines, Dec 31, 2001.

1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

I have been tuned into a radio station here in Buffalo NY since Christmas Eve.....Any I just couldn't stand listening to these people blast snow plow contractors anymore... This DJ Said that A snowplow operators license should be revoked for charging any one $150 for plowing a driveway... Now my question to you contractor's out there...After receiving seven feet of snow in 4 days, having to bust through 7 Feet of compacted snow, whittling away from left to right off the sides of the driveway and risk getting stuck... A process that has been averaging about 1 hour per driveway....Then after all that, you have to shovel the last 5 feet before the garage because your plow can't get over the four feet of compacted snow to back drag. (or risk denting garage) I personally don't think this rate is out of the ordinary, I don't believe that we are "profiteering" as he says. I asked him how much does he think it costs to fix this equipment, or maintain it...He says that's what it's built for:confused: Is this DJ doing a disservice to our industry or do you agee with him?

2. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

What the market will bear is what is right, you are providing a service that the people need, it is not that you are gouging people but hey, how many times in history are you going to get 7 FEET of snow in one week. If the people dont want to pay it or are complaining then they should just shovel it or go out and buy there own plow. I dont think that, $150 is an outragous price especially when you are handshoveling in front of the garage door, I have never plowed 7 Feet before the most I have ever plowed at once is 2 1/2' but I could imagine how hard it must be breaking through the end of the driveways. Let the people complain, I am sure that there is a lot of price gouging but I think the best way to control that is give them a quick written estimate before you start then that way they cant say you did the job and then wacked them with a large bill. I have never been through anything like that so I dont have any real answers, Just my two cents

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

He is just showing his ignorance,let him look stupid,i bet he wouldnt do it for 150 bucks,he just running his mouth because he has nothing constructive to say.Without doing it ever,he cant say its to high,it is pretty apparent that he has never been in business for himself either,and has no idea what overhead,maintance,repairs,and being ready all winter at a moments notice cost.150 is cheap,here i wouldve tried,I say tried,to get to residentials every 6 inches,even if it was every foot,thats 7 pushes,that would put my average price at 300+ dollars,twice yours.Extreme weather makes for extreme prices.

4. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy Member

ignore what the DJ says he is just ignorant to what it actually cost to maintain equipment etc. i had a guy last year call us up and ask to be plowed, it was around jan 6 and it had snowed constantly from dec 28 on. i told him it would be around $100.o there was 30+ inches of snow in his driveway, not including the 6 foot drift by the garage door. he didnt like the price but he hgad us do it anyway. well we plowed the drive, and he went to pull out of his garage, and got stuck on ice. i then helped pull him out of the driveway with a chain, and then proceeded to salt the driveway to break up the ice. ended up costing almost $175.00 for plowing and salt. he paid and i didnt feel bad about charging him that. time is money, and im notn out there just for the fun of it.

5. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Talk about profiteering! Why do radio stations charge so much for advertising? It floats through the air for free doesn't it.

Ask him to compare his 1040 with yours

6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Give him a truck, and plow, and see how far he goes before becoming stuck. Then ask him if 150 bucks is enough for all his troubles.

Geoff

7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I know what I would LIKE to post here regarding the know-it-all DJ.

Unfortunately, If I did that I would have to "ban" myself.

So I'll just say that I agree with the points all of you have made.

I wonder what the DJ's take is on the $$$ you all pay for your insurance?

8. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

i say we follow him home and bury his a$$ so deep they wont find him till the spring thaw,not that i'm a bad person just that were all a little nuts after all we have just been through
    GLOBAL WARMING MY A$$ :mad: :mad:

9. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Mick,

Just ignore him, most likely he was too cheap to pay some one to plow his drive.

10. sledhead

sledhead Member

DJ (dumb jerk)

I wonder how much he paid to have HIS drive cleared?
    I wonder if his drive IS clear?
    I wonder if he knows how stupid his comments were?

I wonder if were going to get any snow?
    I wonder, wonder ,wonder, wonder, Who, Who wrote the book....

Bored out of my skull.
    Can you tell?

Sledhead

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Problem is that he is probably buried at the radio station because they would not or could not plow that lot. So here is a DJ who has not been able to get home for whatever many days and is bitter because of it.

Forget about him. Your customers are happy then that is what matters.

12. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

yes he is doing a dis service to uor industry but he does have a right to his opinion....i still would not appreciate his on air comments.....i am suprised those driveways can even be plowed out with a truck.........i bet the rental yards are happy, they probably have every piece out 24/7

13. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

I think $150 is a heck of a good deal for 7 ft of snow. We had 2+ feet last year and a couple of years back and people gladly paid $75-100 to get the drive plowed
    Remind the DJ (idiot) that when you burn up a tranny trying to push all that snow, $150 all of a sudden seems real cheap. Staring at a $2000 transmission repair bill with $150 in hand will slap anyone back into reality. These trucks/equipments do a lot of work and aren't cheap to fix or maintain. The customer needs to realize that they're paying for a service and that service cost money for us to be able to offer.

14. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I look at it this way, if I had 7-ft. of snow in my driveway, and all I had was a shovel... I'd gladly pay $150 to get it cleared. Weigh the options: On one hand, you've still got your money AND a broken spine. On the other hand, you're $150 lighter, and your spine is still intact... and you got to watch the nifty revolving yellow lights going up and down your driveway for an hour. Makes sense to me...

15. Lou

Lou Member

Too bad the DJ didn't find out about how you helped out the public at the begining of the storm. Hope you're connected in some way. Maybe someone can send a E to his station and have that idiot report your efforts. What a great story. Can see it now......the lone plow truck leading the way.....even without the visuals it would be great copy. Better yet......have someone let the local paper know what you did. Then send the article to the pinhead DJ.

16. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

i just finished watching Channel 4 news and they were showing an article on people charging $250-900 to remove snow from roofs. Then they shot a plug in about snowplowers charging $150 to plow a driveway. Man was i pissed i called channel 4 and they hung up on me, wait till wednesday when i go there and complain in person. Does anybody understand how much plowing snow really costs (besides us) ? I spent over $2000 last week between fuel and breakdowns.

17. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

OOPS PetalsandPines what station were u listening too ?

18. PetalsandPines

Station at fault

WBEN 930 Sandy Beach ...I usually enjoy his show, but this time he went too far...Now people have it in their mainds that they are getting ripped off at $150.. That's just great , for an already depressed area that we are in (Depressed, no I mean Cheap)

BTW Happy New Year!!! We are a little crazy here in Buffalo..We celebrated outside!!

mvc-001s.jpg

19. PetalsandPines

Happy New Year!!

More crazy pics after a long week of plowing..These are my crazy neighbors with a tray of jumbo shrimp, miller / budweiser beer, TV on the porch behind them & makeshift table made out of the City of Buffalo garbage can!! Happy New Year / Buffalo Style! Did I mention the fireworks & the -15 degree windchill?:D

mvc-223s.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2002
  20. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

P&P Great Pix. I've been listening to Sandy a lot recently and normally he makes good points and is there for the people. I really enjoy listening to him. I've been tempted to call in a few times but never have altho I've sent him some E-mail. Normally $150 would be ripping the pants off people. But it's thier fault for wanting to get out and thay are willing to pay $150 If its so important for people to get out right then then thay sould pay.
    If thay dont think its fair then shovel it yourself and dont compane about the $100,000 DR. bill.
    He just sits in the studio and listens to what people say. Unless someone calls him up and tell him the reason why no one knows.

Also I'm kinda pissed how he has people call and say what roads are open durring a driving ban when he sould be telling them not to drive becasue if you do happen to get into an accident you insurance is no good becasue your driving ILLEAGALY.

Most of the time he is good but just like anyone else its the few times you screw up that really hurts ya.