1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ARGH Can't decide new plow for new truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by itsgottobegreen, Feb 1, 2005.

1. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I plan on buying a used 01 or newer ford F-350 or F-450 dump truck this season. Just can't justify spending $40,000 on a truck, when you can find 3 year old ones for $20,000-25,000. Hey I am only 19, So I don't have a lot of money to spend. Trying to move out of my parents, so ever dollar not spent on a truck, goes towards my own house. payup

I was planning to put a Boss 9'2" steel V on it and then add some pro wings. But after seeing some very badly bent Boss V plows I decided to look at the plows that had trip edge V plows. So I looked at fisher plows, which are a favorite of mine. So while I was looking at their V plow, I saw a X blade in person. I like that plow. So then I wanted that plow. Well every one here keep raving about how great the Blizzard 810 are. So I decided to check them out too. Well after watching the videos of them. Now I want a Blizzard

So now I am really confused on what I want and why. ARGH!! :cry:
    The list is this:
    Boss 9'2" steel V
    Fisher 9'6" V
    Fisher 9' X Blade (But I would have to build some wings)
    Blizzard 810

It will be used for pushing parking lots and some long private driveways that drift badly. But I will still have my kubota for when they get really bad.

So could any one give me a reason on why and why not on each plow. I know there are other post on this, but none that really helped.
    Thanks a lot.

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i would just get a fisher hd mm2 8 or 9ft straight blade

3. 4speed

4speed Member

buy a blizzard

SorryI was only being a smart as$. Who has the best support in your area? Where in pa are you . If you break down in the middle of the night ,can you get parts? these are the questions you need answered to make this decision. almost everyone here will swear by their brand of plow, But It all comes down to what kind of service you can get when you really need it!

4. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I would go with the EZ-V. When you get a lot of snow with drifts the V mode will help a lot. For big parking lots just add prowings.

5. precisionle

precisionle Junior Member

Go with the 8 1/2 ez v by fisher this plow is awesome, I also have a fisher 8ft straigt blade both are very durable . plus yellow plows are more visable to oncoming cars/ trucks

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

How about a 10' snoway. Then put wings on it for doing the parking lots. More plow length same or less weight. V plow for the drifts definitely. The Blizzard on a dually would probably want to be the 8611. But, only if you get the 450. I think you have to decide what are the most important variables and then make a decision on the plow basing it on how the plow fits your variables.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  7. itsgottobegreen

Does any one here own or used more that one of the plows listed. Because then you can give me a real comparison of two or three of them.

May be I should just buy 4 trucks and 4 plows and see which one works better. LOL

I still would like the V plow for the drifts, but that blizzard is to very temping since the truck would be worth more per hour $$$$$ payup

Does any one in Maryland have a blizzard I can come look at.

8. salopez

salopez Senior Member

there are plenty of blizards here in md. i dont think we get drifts here in central md to justify a v plow. my next plow is going to be the 8611 on my chevy 4500. unless someone comes out wiith something better.

9. avalancheplow

I have plowed with a 1500 with a 7.5' fisher, a 1500 with a 7.5' Sno-way, and now have a f-350 with the 8.5' Fisher EZ-V. I would go with the V.

10. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Go with a Boss or Fisher V.

11. itsgottobegreen

Well if you are getting the Blizzard then I guess I will too. Since I will probably end up subbing for you with it anyways.

That would be a cool sight. Two 8611 pushing together. One on my F-450 and one your Chevy 4500 and each of us with our Kubotas in tow. LOL

12. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

here's my worthless opinion

I have had three fisher's(7.5rdmm1, 9'hdmm1, 9'hdmm2 and one blizzard 810. I will list the pros and cons I have found.Fisher:seems to follow rough ground contours better without gouging on unfrozen ground, hitch system works pretty good and after a little practice it is truly a minute or two job to mount, parts availability around here is awesome, can't find a local auto parts store that doesn't stock regular service items,cons: after a few years of commercial plowing wiring harness replacement has been pretty common, had to have eletric motors rebuilt but not excesively,also, the regular style does not scrape as cleanly as the x-blade design. This is my first year with the blizzard and so far it has worked out well. The only issue I have had is that it can be a bear to use on unfrozen ground, but, on the other hand, it srapes better than any other plow I have used.The X-blades aggressive attack angle should give a comparable scrape from what others around my area have said. Also, if you are going to buy a used 1-ton, get an extended warranty. I have had five and only one has not had transmission problems while I have owned it.It's expensive but one new tranny will cost more than a warranty. My newest truck only went 5600 miles before it locked up. Hope this helps but in the long run, only you can decide ehat will work for you.

13. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

a fisher or western 9.5 V blade or a blizzard. how often are you going to be busting drifts?

I would HIGHLY recomend a 7.3 ford not the 6.0 if going used. might as well get the 550. Also Dont put a chip or a different filter on it. Get the ford HD filter if it dosnt have that redesigned box thingy on it. If you want I may be apt to install exhaust but thats it perf wise!

Also might as well hang out at home and suck up free liveing ;)

What do you want a 450 or a 550 for??? A Chevy 2500HD or a SRW F350 will move as much if not more snow when properly equiped. Are you needing to tow big or carry a big spreader or what?

14. itsgottobegreen

I do landscaping. So I need a dump truck and something to tow the Skid loader with a rotodarin that I don't own yet. So I need a truck that big. I currently have an F-150 and its just to small.

15. avalancheplow

A f-350 could do that. Why waste the extra money, get a really nice powerstroke.

16. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Stainless Steel X-Blade

17. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

a f 350 with a dump would be fine but there is a substantial difference between a 350 and 450 in regards to the frame, tires, brakes etc. while the 350 would work for you a 450 or even a 550 would allow you to keep the truck longer without needing to upgrade. i personally like boss but havent delt with any other plow. the 10' v is huge, the undercarriage is twice as thick as mine.
    if you are going to need to move alot of snow though i would try a blizzard.

18. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

just make sure you have a beefy front end with plow prep the minimum, the bigger Vs and the Blizzard are 900#s plow only not counting the 100# frame, and then figure the added weight of it cantilevered out 3 feet in front. Personally, I have done a little plowing with almost every style/type of plow, I wont hesitate to make a pass in a budys truck or shoot the SH*t with other pow guys on a coffe run, and the only thing I dont really like about V's is the trouble to make them straight while angled and windrowing, it takes practice, although I do beleive the newer fisher with fishstick will go straight on either angle with one touch. My local here is western, open no matter what 24hrs. even with ice or freezing rain or dustings, spreader support is important to them, BUT I have a blizzard dealer in between them a mile down the road, and I've seen him open everytime I was out. I went for a ride last storm and was impressed, just not crazy about the controller, used to the western joystick I guess. Its gonna be my next plow I think, I like the fact its an 8, plow, and can go 10, straight or 9, scoop all with POWER, never get out of the truck. I hated driving to other commercial lots with wings on, can be scary, and jumping out to put them on and off sucks, I made the shoveler do that after the first event, and the damn thing scrapes like hell and backdrags better than my western with a backedge. The best thing I read in this thread is the post about support, Any plow will do a good job if your experienced and know whats up, whos gonna have parts after hours in a blizzard, or even a light snow and something gives out. It sucks having to stock the major breakdown parts in your truck just to be safe, I mean above the little stuff we all have handy. Thats where my money would go, the support end is the biggest, new plows break too, as do controllers and pins fall out and solenoids, etc. etc. etc......................