1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Areins st824

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by jay317, Sep 1, 2010.

1. jay317

jay317 Junior Member
    from indiana

Im in the process of purchasing a ariens st824 snowblower just wondering is this a good snowblower any input would be appreciated
  2. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Ariens has been synonymous with snow blowers for decades, home run.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  3. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I believe those were made by gilson, or with gilson technology shortly after they sold out to lawnboy. Heck of a blower though, cant go wrong.
  4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We have run Ariens for years. They have been beat over and over and the worst thing thats ever happen was a few broken shear pins. One is 4 seasons old now and it still looks shinny new.
  5. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

had one gilson in the family for nearly 20 years.
  6. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Can't g wrong here. Are you buying new or used? ST824 has been a model number for a good 30+ years. I have a early to mid 80's variant that I got for free and I've just about finished the mechanical refresh on...I used it a bit last winter and even with slipping belts it was way more of a brute than the Craftsman 9hp 26" blower I borrowed a couple times...walked right through 14" of heavy stuff and that was on a very bad tune with a 2 year old plug and a dirty carb.
  7. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Oh ya. Those old st824's were unstoppable. modeled after the 84, 85, and very sparsley released 86 gilson ST models. I've always run a fleet of gilson snowblowers, and they're all at least 20 years old! New paint, plug, n carb rebuil good as new. Just never found anything quite as reliable and hearty. I believe gilson actually invented the friction drive. Or maybe they just perfected it.
  8. Belleaire Care

Belleaire Care Member

Hi guys,

just wondered if the new Ariens from Home Depot are still as good as the older models? I heard big box store equipment with big names like Ariens are not built as well as the products sold by specialty equipment stores....
  9. FLC2004

FLC2004 Senior Member

We run 926DLE's which is a little bit bigger than the 824,but is still a great snowblower. Ariens is the only snowblower brand we use and for commercial use, they're the best IMO.
  10. aphico

aphico Junior Member
    from pgh

by far the best blower i've ever used. Dug out everything last year. I put a homemade impellar kit on it and it throws the wet heavy snow 30 feet or more. If you plan on using it alot. i would get some flat 1/8 inch steel at home depot, and cut and fit it around the skids, and even on the bottom of the scraper bar. i went through both kinda quick. also if you get stuck for shear pins, brass johnny bolts. (for toilets) work really well. good luck.