1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

areas with the most snow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by accipiter12, Nov 21, 2004.

1. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

Which general area usually gets the most snow (meaning who is guarantied snow every year and a decent amount of it)? Is it the states that are affected by lake effect snow? I'm just curious.

Blake
    WA

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Lake effect causes a lot of snow in buffao NY but the rocky mountain up high are the king of snow usually as the warm moist air is forced over rockies blowing eastward it can really dump some snow as it cools rising up the west slopes. Dnever area can be quite snowy to with cold air coming over mountains and gulf moisture meeting with it several times each winter. THere are a few other place to and remember in real cold winters when lakes freeze over, lake effect snow ends. Did I confuse you?

3. accipiter12

Nope, not confused at all. I'm in a meterology class so it makes sense. Thanks.

Blake
    WA

4. Tarkus

Cool, I studied meterology many years ago when I use to fly a lot and a one time I entertained working for the NWS on their radar equipment but never persued it. A state manager in the mid 80's with NWS when I was looking into it told me at the time that Denver area was one of the 10 snowiest areas in US for what it is worth.

5. intlco

intlco Senior Member

The Rocky mountains here in Northern Wyoming on the Montana border have snow at least 10 months out of the year. The only month we don't have snow is July, when everything is usually on FIRE!
    But down in the valley where the town is, it can snow anytime, but the snow will only last a day and them melt due to elevation. So we don't get much plowing.
    For example, you can wake up in June to 12" of snow and 0F outside at 6am, but by 10am, the temps will be 80F and the snow is gone. And the same process can repeat it self daily.
    Our Wyo saying, May Snow brings June Flowers. It seldom rains here, only sun or snow.

6. intlco

intlco Senior Member

Pictues from this past August here. Although it looks bad, there was no plowing cause all the snow was in the mountains and at the base of the mountains. Nothin in the city but a dusting.

7. Tarkus

I know your state well from my many travels throught it. Last year we say a good snowfall in Colorado in late June above 11,000 feet while out there on vacation. In the mountain at higher elevations it can snow anytime and the mountain arond Dillion CO were also still well covered with snow above 10,000 feet or so during same time frame last year.

8. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

We get anywhere from 100" inland to 200" in the lake affect areas.. Average winter on my front porch is 100-120"..

9. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Tug Hill region of New York State, directly off the east end of Lake Ontario. Average snowfall ranges from 250-300". Also Jefferson and Oswego countys off eastern Lake Ontario are around that. Believe there are some pic posted on here somewhere of a lake effect storm last year where Oswego county got around 140" in 4 days.

10. accipiter12

I think I like the areas that get lake effect snow!! Scottsville, NY seems to get a lot and the counties mentioned. I love snow, I sometimes consider moving to an area that gets this much snow. I would move up in our cascade mountains but I don't want to be a cop there (basically state patrol) and so I was trying to think of areas that are busy law enforcement wise and not boring, but get lots of snow for my snowplowing/excavation side job interest. Sounds sweet guys, I ENVY you totally! Later :dizzy:

Blake
    WA

11. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Blake,

Its not all its cracked up to be in lake affect areas.. I probably drove by 20 trucks today with plows hanging off the front, and I was in a really rural area. There are probably more lowballers and plow companies in NY than anywhere else in the country. That's a guess but with the price guidelines I've seen from you guys, I'm guessing I'm right. :eek:

12. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Valdez, AK has quite a lot of snow, I've heard as much as 500 inches.. (When do they just say it in feet??).. All the flat roofs there have bicycle flags on the vents so they don't hit them with the snow blowers. There are snowblowers left on the roofs there all Winter.. It's a port city with boats still in the water and people have to shovel the boats to keep them from sinking. Ask anyone what they do there during the Winter and they say two words... Shovel Snow..

13. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Lots of law enforcement work up here to, not only are we the snow capital of NY, but also the Meth Lab capital, theres something to be proud of, lol. As mentioned before, plowing up here isn't all its cracked up to be, everyone has a plow or some other means to deal with the snow on there own and everyone is trying to make an extra buck plowing.

14. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

LAKE.......Amen to that !

I am 50 miles away from you and get that "tug hill blizzard" plus the Lake Ontario lake effect !!!!!!!!! OVER 230 inches last year...... :drinkup: ...geo

15. accipiter12

Huh, I see.....I guess if that's the case (everyone having plows) then I can at least enjoy the snow and not worry too much about it. :cool:

Blake
    WA