1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are your trucks inspected/

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EPACF, Dec 20, 2004.

1. EPACF

EPACF Junior Member

One of my plow trucks failed inspection for rust, and I'm considering plowing with it anyway... I'm wondering if anyone runs plow trucks that are not state inspected, and what the fines or driver's liscense points might be.....
    Also, anyone plow snow on farm tags/
    I'm in midcoast Maine.

KSWART Member

Well here in NY there can be on certain days sticker checks around every bend in the road so I would not chance it. But with that being said here in Buffalo I know 2 places that for $30 will pass anything you can drive into their shop :)
  3. EPACF

EPACF Junior Member

Any "lick and stick" shops in Maine

Anybody know of inspection stations in midcoast Maine that will pass a rusty truck?
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Oooops duplicate posting.... :nod:
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  5. derekbroerse

Is it structural rust (ie cab mounts, frame, etc)? If its just outer cosmetic rust do some quick work with bondo, fibreglass, duct tape, and Mono-foam and you should get thru good enough for a winter. Here, if it isn't structural rot that would make the truck physically unsafe, it is more a matter of rough edges people might cut themselves on in parking lots etc. and you can usually hide it/smooth it out enough to make them happy. Have them tell you specifically what didn't pass and patch it up. ESPECIALLY if they are only on the road to plow snow, not to go shopping or to the lake in the summer. ;)

Going without inspection varies by location. Around here (on personal vehicles) if the sticker on the plate is expired it is a couple hundred $ fine... note though that the sticker on Ontario trucks is on the front license plate (behind the plow undercarriage) and it means they have to stop you and get out to see. They usually wouldn't bother b/c they are lazy, especially in the winter. Commercial vehicles are likely more severe. They also (here) have a large yellow sticker on the windshield/wing window that is easy to spot.

If your vehicle is classified as commercial due to weight registration, can you reduce the weight to get it classified as your personal truck?

Just a few ideas... for the record my trucks are all legal :D
  6. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Like Derek mentioned, if its just bodywork, break out the duct-tape and spray paint. If you really want to get fancy, spray some foam in the holes too (great for doors).

If its structural in nature, then its an accident waiting to happen.
  7. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

Inspections required?

I live in SE Michigan and have never heard about having your truck inspected. I work only on private property, except for 2 neighborhood streets I plow. Am I required to have an inspection? How much $$? Who enforces it?

This is a new topic to me! Any info on MI would be greatly appreciated!
  8. derekbroerse

I heard about MI when someone from there was supposed to come buy a car off of me (and never showed up). Told me you guys have emissions testing but NO SAFETY INSPECTION! Boggles my mind that you guys can drive with no brakes, no floors, bald tires etc. as long as they run clean enough to pass a sniffer :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If you are concerned about it call your local Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivelent) and ask. They would be the ones enforcing such things.

Private property or not, how do you get from property to property? You drive on the roads, right? Here in Ontario, that could equate to a very large fine.... Before we can drive a vehical it has to jump thru the following hoops:

1) Purchase a manditory 'Used Vehical Information Package' for $20, almost no exceptions. Money grab mostly. Shows a listing of all previous owners and sometimes other info like mileage at time of transfer or title status. SUPPOSED to be supplied by the seller but almost never is.

2) Safety check... must be inspected by a pro shop and anything not up to standards replaced.

3) Insurance. Basic liability insurance is bare minimum. We need insurance before we can even get license plates.

4) Stop by DMV and register the vehicle, obtain plates and stickers within 6 days of date purchased. If not possible, must be transferred into 'Non-op' status first. Extra charge, of course. Not to mention every time a car changes hands we pay taxes on it...again and again. Disgraceful. Bill of sale means nothing to them, we either pay tax on a value their book lists it as or we pay another $20 to have them appraise it quickly. More $ grabbing.

Miserable, huh?
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  9. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

Michigan hasn't had Emission tests in 10 years,Inspection is as easy as going to your State Police and have them inspect it...I get my trailers and truck check out by the local police.I feel good about having it done and they feel good knowing my equipment is safe on there roads...
  10. derekbroerse

Well it may have been different b/c he was trying to import a Canadian vehical into MI?

I know when it finally did recently sell (to a guy in Buffalo, NY) he still needed the EPA letter of approval to do so... same thing the other guy claimed he couldn't get...
  11. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

I*M in MAINE--I DONO? about the FARM Tags?--but beleive its 3 points against Your drivers License-but-its the Other Crap that gets Expennsive! the LAW will have the Verhice TOWED & Impounded--& when You Go to Get IT!--Towing & Storage FEES? & You have to TOW it again! from the Towers Yard! to where-ever?--& I assume? YOU have Seen other Vehicles-RUSTED--& Wonder? Where they Got their Insection Sticker? I operate older Equipment & used to locate a Small One Owner Garage--& it allways cost Me More Money & a Hassle!-Now I Re-Pair every thing I notice thats in Question!--RUST--Lights--Tires--Exhaust--Windows--ECT! & I Go to the Largest Dealership in my Area!--O*Connors GMC & I Register my 75 Chevy 3/4 ton & 88 Dodge 4X4 Trucks Commercially--so Inspection Cost ME $25.00 Minumun--EACH! I DO the Commerical inspection Maimly because the Inspection Mechanic gives Me an Inspection Sheet! like the Big Trucks Have! w/ all the Check Points Checked Off! aprox 50 differant items--& YES! My Trucks being Older Models--[COP Callers?]--I Do get Stopped! & when the COP Shines His Flashlight On My Stickers!--I Pass HIM My ommerical Inspection Sheet!--& Usually Get an OH? This Truck was Inspected by O*Connors?--YES! it WAS!--& most of the TIME!-- I Don*t have too Dig for My License -Registration-or Proff of Insurance!--& Usually I*M told to have a Nice Day! & I*M Off!--in Your! CASE! living in Appleton--small Town-- I think? YOU could Get away w/ NO Sticker During Snow Storms?--but--I Personally Don*t think its worth taking the Chance? as I Think? the FINE--the Points against Your License & the Towing & Storage fees! would COST More than Repairng Your Truck? as WE All KNOW!--Now Ah Days! Enforcing the LAW is a Big Buck Business!--& even Though Were All Informed! its a SAFETY Issue!--its $$$ that the Main Issue!--Ole JIM--
  12. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

In Jersey no inspection sticker will get you $125.00 fine, points on your license, and possibly impounded. Bring the truck to Earl Schieb (?), he'll paint any car for just $69.95! :jester:
  13. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Too rotten to use?

I have been in various parts the service industry my whole life. I know the apperance of your equipmend directly impacts your customer with reguard to your level of professionalisim. My equipment is now new, just looks it. Here in Buffalo NY you can spot the lowballers all over the place, by their rotted out trucks. When I quote a job i always talk to the prospect about the reliable equipment I use. Maybe ity's time to reinvest in your business, also how will your insurance carrier react should you have to place a claim which ocurred while using uninspected equipment? Don't take the risk, it's a bad business decision to run with unsafe equipment, and i may cost you dearly.
    PS I in no way am trying to say you must be a lowballer, that seems to apply here in Buffalo though.
  14. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

LOL, we havent had smog testing for about 9 years! And your very right to say we have junk running around on the street. Nothing says Detroit better then a smashed up Taurus with no hood, broken tail lights, and a bag for a drivers window.

So here its just pay the whicked witch of the west money, and we get to drive on her crappy roads. BTW, what is everyone paying for plates every year? My 05 Escape is 120, and my 03 libbey is 105.00
  15. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

No inspections here. ;) :D
  16. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Here in IL we have inspections and emission testing. You don't have to have a vehical safety tested unless its a comercial vehical with a D plate or higher or if you have apportioned plates but in that case you need a FHWA sticker and if its a deisel you also need a IFTA sticker for fuel taxes. The D plate is one weight rating higher than a normal pickup truck plate. My f350 dually gets inspected each year no big deal and its deisel so I don't need the emission test. One other nice thing with the D plate is when you purchase your truck you don't pay sales tax. On a 40,000 truck at 8.25% that's alot of money. The only down side is you pay about double what the regular plate costs each year and you have to stop at scales even though they green light you every time.
  17. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

I live in Illinois and I've never heard about F-350's. There's really no sales tax? You have to stop at at scales? You have to get it inspected? Wow...the things I learn.
  18. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

The company I work for has 4 and I have my own and that is how I learned about it but the key is the D plate if you just have a B plate on it you still pay the taxes and you don't stop. But the trailer I own weighs 13,500 lbs so If you get cought pulling it with a B plate your up the creek so to speak. That is why I went with the D. If you notice in IL all the scales say all vehicals over 4 tons must weigh. That refers to the what the plate is rated for not actual weight. So even though I don't have a trailer I still have to pull in I get green lighted around the scale but it's still kind of a pain. The other thing once you put the D plate on if you decide to switch back to a b you first have to pay the back sales tax. I know you were thinking it because I thought about it to. LOL