1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are your Nerves Shot !!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Eyesell, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I'm not sure this if this is happening to anyone else, but while plowing one of my larger accounts the other day ( one of my school/church properties, which was closed for the un-believeable snow fall we had the following evening) some retired neighbors kept driving through the lot I was plowing just to see what I was doing. Reason I say retired is they would drive into all the smaller areas, look around and leave. They all drive the Ford Crown Vic's or the famous Grand Marquee.

Now, after plowing for 7-1/2 hours payup I found my self constantly having to look in my mirrors, over my shoulder, etc. I typically do this anyway but I must say this go around I was swearing every time a car came buy. They seemed to get closer and closer to me and I felt an accident was going to happen. At times I really thought there was a car when there was not. At the end of the plowing event, was in truck for 18 hours over a few days my NERVES could'nt stand anymore, I was cheesed off at everyone and anything. It came to the point where I didn't even care about the money I could make, I was yelling at my kids, my wife, even my partner for leaving plow trails.

Guess a break was needed :(
  2. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

holy crappolla .... thats why i plan to make this the last year for plowing for me .... not worth it anymore ..... especially when you have more than enough warning lights and you still hear the horn as there driving past the back of your truck goin down the road ....
  3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

it really alot worse during the day time hrs. travel from job to job is the worst for me cause it gives me time to get bored then i get tired. logd o something about 40 hrs this weekend
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Can you put those traffic cones at the entrance(s) to keep traffic out while you're plowing? I'd agree that if it's bothering you that much, it's time to quit plowing (temporarily or permanently). The more nervous/aggitated you get; the more likely to have an accident.
  5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

pile some snow in the exits and entrances so the cars cant get into your parking lot.
  6. KGRlandscapeing

dosent work like that people try to drive threw them and then get stuck now u got even more of a mess
  7. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Just learn that NO ONE in a vehicle has any curtsy for you other than other plow trucks out on the road at the same time. I plan on ever jacka$$ that is within 100 ft of me driving in front or behind me. I just sit there and wait to see what they do. It takes a little time to be patient with these idiots and takes me longer to clear the lot, but think of the down time waiting for the police to get there, write up a report (which more than likely you will be at fault!) and what you insurance deductible costs. You will be money ahead waiting every time. Just the way I think.
  8. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

KINNCO Senior Member

I heard ya bro!:drinkup:
  10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Something else you might try,is what I used to do. When I had my one ton and someone tailgated, I'd crank the sander for a couple seconds. Surprising how fast they learned proper following distance. You start throwing sand or salt around; you'll have the place to yourself.
  11. KGRlandscapeing

even other plow guys dont usally have respect. with somemany people with plows theres lots of jerks out there. ull be hanging off the end of a drive waiting for them to go around and there plow will be with in inchs of u. ur like thanks jerk. i try to be as nice as i can on the road and if theres a whole line of traffic behind me and a plow guy is trying to get out of a drive or something. ill slow down and give him some time
  12. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I think it was ( or should I say still is ) a crazy year for all. My partner called today and said his other business has taken off so much he is pretty sure he is going to bail on me next year. Personally I think it's just the amount of plowing we've done, it's worn him thin as well, and with the other business going well he's going to get out of plowing all together.
  13. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I did that once i was salting a large shopping center doing the drivelanes and i stopped turned the pto on raised the dump there was a car on my ass and i tryed to motion him around the truck so he didnt get pelted. anywas i got tired of waiting for him to move so i flipped the switch and salt went everywhere.and covered his car. i felt bad about it at the time but i guess you have to do what you have to do to get the job done.
  14. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

In the area i plow all the plows companys are pretty tight(talk allot when taking breaks or getting gas) i normally block the road and let them clear out the entrance works well when they do the same for you helps everyone out.

i guess in some areas guys don't get along where i live we all pretty much do
  15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The bigger you get, the more stress there is but good employees help, bad ones give you an extreme amount of stress. I try just to laugh things off, when people do stupid things, getting uptight is just wasted energy. I find the more exhausted I get, the more irratable I get. Little things tend to bother you more when your tired.
  16. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i plow the entrance shut till i am done if all possible put 2-3 scoops pf snow there and they wont be able to get through or even try.
  17. KGRlandscapeing

the bigger companys do but the other jokers rnt so much. I workd for a big one befor i went out on my own so i know alot of guys. and i wave to basicly everybody i get bored when driving so i just wave like an idiot.
  18. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

thats what i do ... i plow the enterances closed and then just clean them up at the end!
  19. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

So they won't get stuck, tell them you need the lot to yourself. if they don't listen, put some banks up front so they learn their lesson. You can oull them out when you're finished.
  20. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Piles at the entrances

I have an acount that is at the corner so there is alot of cut through traffic. I got tired of too many close calls so I started puting big piles at the entrances to keep the traffic out. I think the key is to make the piles big enough that they wont think about trying to go through it. Works great. It just gets tricky when you get close to opening time.