1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are you worried yet?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by diesellandscape, Dec 26, 2011.

1. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

I'm just wondering how many of you guys are worried about what this winter will bring. I know here in pittsburgh we've only been out salting 2 times this year. I think at this time last year we had salted 7or8 times and pushed 3 or 4. Ive talked to a few friends and they arent happy about the lack of snow. I know if i was all per-push I would be crying right about now, But thank god we have seasonal contracts.
  2. MikeLawnSnowLLC

MikeLawnSnowLLC Senior Member

Thats why you can't have all per push snow accounts its good to have a mix. We've only salted 3 times and to me this is a nice little vacation without having to work to much!
  3. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Not at all, I'd be more worried if we had pushed 20 times already.

I have too many seasonal accounts.
  4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Same here, we've been out plowing twice and salting a handful of times. We're so used to not plowing the storm we're supposed to get tonight seems more like a burden.
  5. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

enjoying this weather that pgh has we have seasonal contracts and enjoying the time off it will come when we dont want it and it wont stop lol
  6. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Worried? No. Nervous? Very. I know here on the coast, especially last year, we had already plowed 5-7 times, and we have plowed twice here now. Most of my accounts are per push and one seasonal, thank god I have already got paid for the seasonal contract, otherwise, id be a lot more concerned.
  7. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

NOPE, not worried, not nervous, but I am ready to go out and plow. I think this season will make or break the small guys that just do this for a living in my area. In West MI, we have had only 1 plow-able event so far, usually we have been out countless times and the snow is with us from the end of November to the middle of March. Fortunately, I don't have to worry, because all of my equipment is paid for and so is all of my subs equipment and we all have day jobs if its not snowing. We all choose to live DEBT FREE(other than our mortage) so we dont have to worry if it snows or not (we dont depend on it, because it is not really predictable). If it doesn't snow, it just means less vacations next summer. I have a feeling we will be plowing well into March, maybe April 2012 though.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  8. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

We plowed one time in November, only salted a few lots a couple of time this year so far. We have $2000.00 a month in Seasonal work which makes it doable if we don't get snow but with the majority per push work snow falling would make me alot happier!
  9. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

If we loose January, no new toys this summer. :( January and February are our "normal" good months here in NJ
  10. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't worry if it didn't snow, if this wasn't my primary business either.
  11. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

A little concerned, very BORED.
  12. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

Weather guesser Goldberg on channel 7 said no decent cold air for at least 2-3 weeks. Which will shoot January. :( I do love the extra snow money, I am disapointed to say the least.
  13. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Its not just you guys!!!! haha In Michigan we are salting as we speak! We have had 3-4 salt events compared to Last years 3-4 Plows and 6 saltings by now.

We're anxious for snow, but cant really complain. It soooooo much easier on less stressful on the trucks nd equipment to press a button (on the liquid sprayer) or salt spreader. Than run a truck into 150 "brick walls" (Whether its plowing driveways or parking lots.)
  14. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

See I have heard different. John Dee said in his last update that the current low lodged near greenland is starting to dislodge and that will mean colder air for us and may bring more snows. But no big snowmakers insight now. But who knows for sure, changes day to day.
  15. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Lucky you....we have only had 2 salt events.LOL I love to salt, those all day freezing rain events are great for business. We haven't had one of those in a couple years, I'll take it. Customers seem to apreciate you more for those type of events rather than the little snows where everyone can still get around ok.
  16. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I'm more worried that if it does snow, I won't be able to do any work. I messed up my back a few weeks ago and it's not getting any better. I might have to have surgery. On top of all that. the doctor wants me to take a stress test. He thinks I have blockage in my arteries!
  17. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

It all runs in cycles.

I've had 25" across 5 events so far this winter. Some winters we don't get more than 4" ALL winter across 2 events.
    My plow is paid for, but I still like the benjamins.
    No benjamins in the forecast for the next 10 days.
  18. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

@DLCS I hope your weather guy is right, that at least gives some hope. Fingers crossed fellas!
  19. PenfieldProp

PenfieldProp Junior Member
    from 06880

Plowing is not my primary income I do excavating and trucking so usually its something to do in the off months but SURE I would love to see a few small events it makes me feel less guilty about spending for new fishing gear when the ground is frozen and we can't dig. But the lack of frost has kept the work being able to go as normal so really no complaints here. I will say I also own my house trucks plow jetski and boat if I can't afford it I don't buy it wish is why I have been able to maintain and live comfortable in the dirt buisness u must save because those mortgages and credit cards don't seem to care when u lose a bid
  20. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Glad I don't count on it is all I can say. Feel bad for the guys that are counting on it. Plowing for us is a bonus secondary income in the winter but only accounts for 5-10% of revenues.
    I'm mainly pissed I can't snowmobile. Two new sleds in the shop and no snow in sight